1987 CR125 Project

Very cool, back in high school (in the 80's) my brother had an 88 cr, awesome fast bike. I have an 84 cr 250, and I love it. I also like your KX, had an 86, then traded up to an 88 back in the day, miss that bike still.

I know the new bikes have better motors, better suspension etc., but I love the older stuff, and am happy to see someone else restoring, and riding these bikes. Good luck, and keep the pics coming.

Here is a pic of my 84

2a6mfig.jpg

v2v81z.jpg

Poldies4 Thats a great looking 84, My first race bike was an 84 CR125, that was a great time for bikes, lots of improvements and great fun bikes then. Not that I would trade away my 450 cause I still love that bike but these are a lot of fun to have around. Posted up some new stuff today. www.cr125project.blogspot.com Thanks for looking and responding guys.

Rob: I wanted to do a showroom older CR125 and I always liked the red engine CR's. I picked the 87 because of the production rule in 1986 and some will say that was the best engine and bike design of the analog era. Since I wanted a red engine the 88 fighting red was a perfect match same plastic design. I found a new in box 88 tank. All the plastic is new oem except number plates (new one industries). Big find was new oem radiators. Frame,engine,hubs,brake calipers/resivoirs foot pegs and triple clamps are powder coated. As far as the red color I just had them get close to the 88 fighting red tank. All bolts fasteners are new oem. Ebay,honda parts dealers and especially this web sight http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cr125r-1987-usa_model7312/partslist/ has been great for new hard to find oem. The seat cover was made by a guy in Iowa I took my original blue seat cover and he silkscreened the graphics. Decal works did the numbers and I do have the new original CR125 tank shroud decal. I also found an aluminum subframe that is on it now believe its a pro-circuit. The rims are new anno. The front forks I wet sanded them and garnet blast. Finished with clear coat and they turned out great. I was torn between the original color but the red engine sealed the deal for my color scheme. How far are you going in your restore? Have fun it's a great bike.

I plan on going with full original. I am a bit torn on the plastics as of yet, these are in incredible shape for how old they are so I may just do a bit of work to them and see how they look. I will just take as it comes for now. The take is near perfect, no knicks or deep scratches same with the shrouds. There is such little paint worn off the frame that I was thinking of leaving it the way it is just because it is so amazing that it has had so little use. However I do like the showroom restore. I have some decisions to make. Pretty impressive that you were able to find so many oem parts new old stock especially the tank. Pretty cool stuff. I hope to have some time to work on it this weekend, more tearing apart and cleaning and inspecting. I will keep the photos up to date on my blog. www.cr125project.blogspot.com

Rob, thanks for going all original. I am following closely and love it! I had a brand new 1987 CR125 and CR 250, my first new bikes while racing and my first 125/ 250 combo amd they were the best new bikes I have ever owned. I was very disappointed to see LR's example as it is definitely not what an 87 should look like (respectfully of course)...

• 4 weeks later...