Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Does American made matter?

Recommended Posts

Obviously with regard to aftermarket parts; not bikes since there are not really American made bikes.

So what does everyone think? When you are buying parts and accessories for riding does it matter if they are made in America?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like some of the small business machinist we have here, just seems better quality and design. However pricing also comes into play. I would rather buy american if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like everyone else I theoretically would like to buy American made, yet like many buy whatever is the best deal.

I feel sorry for companies like Mylers radiator repair, though. I had a leaking radiator I was going to send them, which would have been like $80 to fix including shipping to fix it. But I bought a new oversized Chinese one for $55 delivered instead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Like everyone else I theoretically would like to buy American made, yet like many buy whatever is the best deal.

I feel sorry for companies like Mylers radiator repair, though. I had a leaking radiator I was going to send them, which would have been like $80 to fix including shipping to fix it. But I bought a new oversized Chinese one for $55 delivered instead...

it sucks but you'd be a fool to get that rad fixed at a radiator repair shop when you can get a new, bigger, sturdier one at a cheaper price...

Knew a guy with a radiator shop in town and when he died he was worth millions.. He could do the rad repair cheaper if they wanted the business bad enough so dont feel too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rocket exhuast! made in the USA baby! plan on getting the full system in about a month! hear nothing but good things. i cant wait to see for myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds nice to buy from your own country, and I like to do that when possible. But, times are changing, and our economies are global.

Whoever thought that a Chevy Silverado would be made in Canada, a Dodge Ram in Mexico, and half of the F150's are made in Mexico, the other half here, leaving the only American made truck is... the Toyota Tundra! Sounds weird to say. I've heard the lame and incorrect argument that all of the profits go to Japan. Yeah, the 1% does. the other 99% employs workers, mechanics, salemen, etc HERE!

Things aren't like they used to be. It wasn't that long ago that the stamp "made in Japan" was a sign of poor quality, undesirable goods. Now they make terrific stuff that we all want. China is coming along, and their stuff is getting good fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I have a reasonable choice, I will buy american. 2nd choice (almost as good imho) is to buy from countries that have reasonably open trade with america and consume our products.

Fer sher, the tundra being built in america was one of the reasons I bought one. I'm also happy to buy czech-made handguns tho, apply some american-made trigger parts, and just put alot of american bullets and finnish gunpowder through them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I have a choice, I buy US made. And, sometimes that's an expensive choice sometimes. Case in point recently was $19.95 Channel Lock dyke pliars vs. chinese Cobalt brand for $9.95. I will say, the Channel Locks are well made and cut awesome. I don't regret spending the extra.

The bottom-line is that we're experiencing the negative affects of moving from a manufacturing based economy to a service based and it's not looking so hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the time American made stuff has more thought put into designs that are to be used by Americans/Canadians. People want quality that will last, and usually you get that, at a higher cost, BUT most American made products come with a warranty and last a lot longer than a similar product from tiwanajapanisapore.

And this opinion is coming from a Canadian. :bonk::smirk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It sounds nice to buy from your own country, and I like to do that when possible. But, times are changing, and our economies are global.

Whoever thought that a Chevy Silverado would be made in Canada, a Dodge Ram in Mexico, and half of the F150's are made in Mexico, the other half here, leaving the only American made truck is... the Toyota Tundra! Sounds weird to say. I've heard the lame and incorrect argument that all of the profits go to Japan. Yeah, the 1% does. the other 99% employs workers, mechanics, salemen, etc HERE!

Things aren't like they used to be. It wasn't that long ago that the stamp "made in Japan" was a sign of poor quality, undesirable goods. Now they make terrific stuff that we all want. China is coming along, and their stuff is getting good fast.

my chevy's and gmc's have been made in america. have had 97, 04, 06 and 2010 all made in america.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Things aren't like they used to be. It wasn't that long ago that the stamp "made in Japan" was a sign of poor quality, undesirable goods. Now they make terrific stuff that we all want. China is coming along, and their stuff is getting good fast.

China's still got a looooong ways to go just to tie any central american country for quality.

I've gotten to the point with automotive parts, if it says "CHINA" anywhere on it, I won't waste my time installing it. Doesn't matter if it's a bearing, seal, or even a window felt. None of their crap lasts.

Just this year I've received rotors that were warped so badly right out of the box you couldn't spin the tire, mis-packaged cap and rotor, dishes with half the pattern missing, and a few other things.

Maybe down the road, they'll get it figured out, but I'm done wasting my time and money on their junk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made in China = disposable

I prefer buying goods that last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×