Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 gearing for dual-sport use?

Hey all, it's time for me to consider some new sprockets for dual-sport use. I don't want it to be too revvy on the highway or be too tall for trail use (the tracks around here and gnarly).

Currently have 13:50 which is great for tractoring through the scrub, but 100kph = about 8,000rpm.

I'm wondering if 13:47 would be ok for both worlds?

13-45 For the win...I can still do 60 on the highway and with the jetting and pipe I can pull great on the trails. Even better if I could lose 50 lbs...:bonk:

To me it is a function of your abilities on the street and on the trail and what they involve. The trails I ride demand a lot of low gear pulls with some tight turns and given the fact that I am not the best rider around I run a 13:51. No clutch work need to snake around tight trails and can cruise about 50 with a top end of 75. This is mountain riding in Colorado. In lower altitudes it will do better. If 13:47 would give you the desired result then I would opt for a 14:50 which is stock gearing on the bike. It is my understanding that it would be easier on the chain. Also a counter-shaft sprocket is much cheaper on the wallet.

It is my understanding that it would be easier on the chain.

I've heard this before, less torque applied directly to the chain with a larger counter-shaft sprocket :smirk:

I'll be buying a rear, a couple of new fronts and a chain as well so the wallet will take a beating anyway :bonk:

I'm running a 15-42 combo, and I do 90% off roading with it. Makes 1st and 2nd gear much more usuable in the woods, and still cruise at 65-70 with no problem.

I've run 13/14/15 up front with a 49 rear. Now moving to a 45 rear and will use the 13/14/15 depending on situation. It's not too difficult to change out the front sprocket once you figure out the techniques.

'06 KLX250