Sign in to follow this  

Difference between OEM Suzuki and Clymer Service Manaul?

Hi TTers! I am wondering what the difference is between the OEM Suzuki Service Manual and the Clymer Suzuki Service Manaul. I have the Clymer at the moment but it isnt detailed enough for me as im not very mechincally minded so I was thinking about buying the OEM Suzuki one. Is it worth it?

The price:lol:

Sorry Mate, I have no idea.

In all seriousness, I don't think it matters, if your not mechanically minded, one would probably be no better than the other.

In my experience, Clymers have been more than adequate.

I think they both would give you the factory tolerances which would be the important thing for me.

Youre probably right I think im just hoping for a miracle :bonk:. Hopefully someone can shed some light but ill just keep digging through these forums and learning.

Also the clymer has errors in it that could cause you some serious damage if you didnt know of them . The head torque figures for one . But I was quoted 200 bucks by my local dealer and the clymer cost 20 , greg

OEM Service manual all the way.

Clymer and all other aftermarket manuals are twice translated, dumbed down manual. Not worth the paper printed on IMHO.

If you need a manual that tells you that when removing the oil filter, be careful as hot oil can burn and CA has determined used oil is a carcinogen.. Then the Clymer is for you.

Often will have mis quotes, wrong translations, and incorrect specifications. Sometimes will state “This part, assembly” is not user serviceable” When it simple requires a special tool commonly available, or can be made.

The Clymer may have an additionally picture or two of a procedure, but no associated text. So it’s a wash., as there is no part of a DRZ that you cannot find a detailed picture for in Google or on this forum.. Or PM me, I likely have one.

No manual replaces common sense and general experience, knowledge of tools and basic procedures.

Thumpin has a point with what he said....But if someone talks you into getting one,here is a link...http://www.sell.com/247L53

have a look at this one to compare...http://motocross4ever.atw.hu/1manual/DRZ400S_General_Info.pdf

Thanks for the link thats alot cheaper then ever where else :bonk:

OEM manuals tend to be more accurate and machine specific. The Clymer ones often can be generic and the pictures may not even be of the bike in question. I feel the OWM are worth the few extra dollars.
Go OEM -
Also the clymer has errors in it that could cause you some serious damage if you didnt know of them . The head torque figures for one . But I was quoted 200 bucks by my local dealer and the clymer cost 20 , greg
Depends what you are doing. Some more in depth maintenance the clymer is great. Complete tear down... go oem.
OEM Service manual all the way.

Clymer and all other aftermarket manuals are twice translated, dumbed down manual. Not worth the paper printed on IMHO.

If you need a manual that tells you that when removing the oil filter, be careful as hot oil can burn and CA has determined used oil is a carcinogen.. Then the Clymer is for you.

Often will have mis quotes, wrong translations, and incorrect specifications. Sometimes will state “This part, assembly” is not user serviceable” When it simple requires a special tool commonly available, or can be made.

The Clymer may have an additionally picture or two of a procedure, but no associated text. So it’s a wash., as there is no part of a DRZ that you cannot find a detailed picture for in Google or on this forum.. Or PM me, I likely have one.

No manual replaces common sense and general experience, knowledge of tools and basic procedures.

Thank you looks like ill get the OEM and see how I go. I realise experience > manaul but unfortunately I dont have much of that so I need all the help thats I can get. With 2 manauls and TT, I think ill be alright :smirk: