Sign in to follow this  

baking my cases

This may sound crazy, but to replace my crank bearings in the cases I've heard to heat the cases in the oven or BBQ. Then cool the new bearings in the freezer. When you pull the cases out the of the oven the old bearings should come out easy and because the new ones are frozen they slide right in. So what I would like to know is what temp to set the oven at? 200 degree's ferinhiet? 300? Less? Thanks for any help.

Not sure about oven temp, but leave the bearings in the freezer overnight for maximum shrinkage.

i used an electric hot plate on high. place the case on the hot plate so the bearings will drop out (center down). aluminum conducts heat faster than steel. usually the bearings fall out without any extra persuasion. to install, just heat case center, drop em in, let cool. you can chill the bearings. oh before you do anything clean oil residue off parts, don't need a fire.

I've done it literally hundres of times. Put the bearing in the freezer overnight. Then just use a propane torch to slowly heat the bearing area of the case, just hot enough to where a drop of water will sizzle on it. Then just take the bearing out of the freezer and drop it in. May still need a lil tap with a mallet.

Edited by rubbersdown

I've done it literally hundres of times. But the bearing in the freezer overnight. Then just use a propane torch to slowly heat the bearing area of the case, just hot enough to where a drop of water will sizzle on it. Then just take the bearing out of the freezer and drop it in. May still need a lil tap with a mallet.

That will do it!!:bonk:

This may sound crazy, but to replace my crank bearings in the cases I've heard to heat the cases in the oven or BBQ. Then cool the new bearings in the freezer. When you pull the cases out the of the oven the old bearings should come out easy and because the new ones are frozen they slide right in. So what I would like to know is what temp to set the oven at? 200 degree's ferinhiet? 300? Less? Thanks for any help.

you want the crank area to be at around 200F and the way i do it is take a propane torch to it for a while and every minute or so i will spray a small mist of water on it. you know its ready when you spray a mist of water and it will simmer(bubble up) on the surface. don't use your freezer. grab a foam cooler and some dry ice. it will cool it faster and much more so it literally drops right in. i wouldn't bake it in the oven. oil and grease and god knows what else baking in there. you could never cook with it again ;p:bonk:

I've done it literally hundres of times. Put the bearing in the freezer overnight. Then just use a propane torch to slowly heat the bearing area of the case, just hot enough to where a drop of water will sizzle on it. Then just take the bearing out of the freezer and drop it in. May still need a lil tap with a mallet.

didnt see this one. hit it dead on the head:thumbsup: try the dry ice out :bonk: