Sign in to follow this  

I may have a carb issue

I recently got a bike for $500 , It sat for about 4 years before I got it. I've stripped the bike down, cleaned and painted everthing and took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I got the bike back together last night and decided to try and fire it up and suprise, it started on the 5th crank! Now for the bad, if I give it any gas or turn the choke off it dies, I played with the fuel/air screw and got it to the point that I can turn the throttle, but it still dies w/o the choke. It also idles a bit rough. Where do I need to start looking? I may have put something together wrong, this is also my first time really getting into a carb...and there are 4...

BTW the air filters are off, could that be the prob?

already has new jets, the bike came wth slightly larger jets so i put them in:

original jets: main 120, pilot 37.5

new jets: main 125, pilot 40

Believe us when we say it's the pilot jet or pilot passage.. What you have is a lean bog.. The choke deal tells the tale.. Remove the PJ and blow it out. Hold it up to the light and look through it. The hole should be clear. If it is, then the passage is plugged..

Pilot jet is clogged. It's not worth the work to try to clean them, just buy new ones, they are cheap.

yes it certainly is worth it to clean it. i was able to clean the pilot jet in my crf 100 after it had sat for a number of years and the hole was TINY. you just need a small enough wire. a few pokes and it was completely clear.

however, if you'd like you can just hand me the cash for what a pilot jet costs and i'll just clean it for ya. :bonk:

you should be able to see light through the jets. if you can't see light then they are not cleaned.

its lean so try putting in an air filter....this will richen it some...then if it is still messed up clean the pilot jet and passage. then rest the fuel/air and idle screws to the stock settings...you should be good to to by then

could also be a crack in the carb boot. Seen a carb taken apart and cleaned 10 times, i came to look and it was the boot that was cracked. could barely see it.

You havent told us what kind of bike. Obviously a street bike if there are 4 carbs?

yes, 1982 gpz 750, my first strretbike, wanted to get a few opinions rather than have it moved to the street bike section. the jets are brand new, when i get the air filters i will try again and if it still has the prob, i will take the carbs off. I already boiled them, hit them with carb cleaner and blew compressed air thru the passages, mabye i missed something...

yes it certainly is worth it to clean it. i was able to clean the pilot jet in my crf 100 after it had sat for a number of years and the hole was TINY. you just need a small enough wire. a few pokes and it was completely clear.

however, if you'd like you can just hand me the cash for what a pilot jet costs and i'll just clean it for ya. :bonk:

you should be able to see light through the jets. if you can't see light then they are not cleaned.

I don't think you understand.