Sign in to follow this  

Big bore kit - sale advice please

I race vintage flattrack, but last summer I entered the world of modern bikes in a big way. I bought Chris Carr's ex-GNC 2006/2008 KTM 450 and had a blast riding it for the first time in October at our last 1/4 mile and TT race weekend. Amazing power and torque... top notch handling, etc...

My real reason for posting this is that the bike came with lots of top-shelf extras:

**505cc kit - Includes 525 crank, bored cylinder, two brand new Wiseco high comp pistons (one has valve relief pockets cut and one does not), cylinder head (minus valve train, you swap from 450 head), and a bored carb that is jetted for the 505 kit.

**KTM factory "drop-out" shock (good for a 1/2 a second on a half-mile, according to Chris)

**Titanium KTM high pipe

** Spare stock-looking swingarm

These are all things that I do not need, as the bike makes more power than i know what to do with. I'm considering selling the extra parts, but have no idea what to ask for them. I can probably look around on ebay and get an idea for the high pipe and swingarm, but have no idea on the special KTM drop-out shock and the 505cc kit, especially since it was all tuned and built by Kenny Tolbert, Chris's mechanic, a top notch and super nice guy.

Any advice? Is this stuff sellable?

Thanks for any help!

I would be interested in the shock. They are funky because of the service requirements but supposedly really cool. Can you post a pic?

Sorry for the late reply... I'll post a pic. Keep in mind this was a pro flattrack bike and the shock has been lowered.

Kyle

As I went though this stuff it brought up lots of questions... Is the cylinder from a 450 or 525? Is the crankshaft/ rod from a 525 or just the rod? Does anyone who is not into flattrack even know who Chris Carr and Kenny Tolbert are? Is a Darcy ported/flowed head worth less than a stock one? Did they relieve the areas under the valve springs or is the part number always ground away? Why would they grind .040 off the intake pockets on one piston but not the other?

Cool stuff and I hate to get rid of it all... but I need a dirtbike in a bad way! I do have individual pics and numbers, etc. These pics are for a couple people that asked for more info:

(94.5mm bore, crank or rod or both from 525mxc)

ktm505kit2.jpg

505kithead3.jpg

505kitcrank1.jpg

505kitpistonb1.jpg

Dropout shock "good for a half a second on a half-mile track", lowered for flattrack, 15 3/8th inches eye to eye:

ktmdropoutshock.jpg

ktmdropoutshock2.jpg

It's a pre 2006 525exc/mxc crank, The cyl is a standard (stock bore) 525 cylinder. the carb is a pre 06 "gen 2" with removable rear bell. i'm assuming it's bored to a 41mm if it has a hot start lever it may be bigger as it came as a 41mm.

Thanks for the info... The carb has a place for the hot start, but it was pulled out for some reason. Bored to 42.25mm, measured on the head side w/cheap calipers. Looks like it was bored a tiny bit too much, as evidenced by the JB Weld on the back of the inlet side.

505kitcarb2.jpg

505kitcarb4.jpg

505kitcarb3.jpg

I appreciate the help on the crank and cylinder, as I want to be as honest as possible when selling this stuff. I just don't know too much about modern dirtbikes and especially KTM's. I just marvel at the quality of these parts though! There is a reason the bike came to me with a #1 plate on it!

Thanks again!!:smirk: