Sign in to follow this  

450 sxf battery. what works? Lith/Iron?

We've had issues with the batteries for the '07 450 SXF not being strong enuf. Don't seem to have enuf oomph, and easily go dead. mostly cold start.

I don't know all the battery letters, but I think they only have one number near the end. I think stock is a "4", and a "5" will also fit. We ended up putting in a "7", which is taller. Had to fab up a different battery holder as it didn't fit due to being a bigger battery. But it's a mickey-mouse mess and I want to go back to original sizing.

Is a Yuasa much better/stronger? OR... a lithium/iron battery? they're supposedly lighter, but more cranking power and longer life. Any others have issues with battery/cranking power? any experience with the lith/iron?

thanks

i use a yuasa ytz7s in my 505, when i bought the bike brand new it came with a spare battery holder that houses the battery perfect, im sure you can purchase it, i can get the part number if you would like. the battery is heaps better than the 4a....heeeeeaaappsss better

I've got a Turntech 5amp in my 505xcf and it's been great so far.Started the bike when it was below 20 this winter. I got a 2.5amp Turntech that I carry in my pack just in case but never had to use it yet.On short rides I run the 2.5amp just to see how it performs and it's been fine.I do use a battery tender though just to top them off before rides.

is the turntech battery a lith/iron?

can you please give me the dimensions of the Yuasa ytz7s.

thanks

yes, it s. i have the shorai 14amp battery in y 450xcf. Its starts it so reliably that i put in an auto clutch to ride offroad. no need for a bump.

however, in the cold, it will feel a little weak and could run down if your jetting is off, but thats rare. You are supposed to flow a bit of current through the lithium to warm it up before cranking, but thats impossible on my bike and yours. When the battery warms up, its perfect. This is no problem, you just need to know what to do.

Every smart owner of a motorcycle with no kick starter has a set of jumper cables in their truck, dont they? Having them handy is the best way to assure you wont need them.:bonk:

Oh the shorai is small and you have to pad the battery box to make it it. but again, this is no problem.

I notice the "5" and the YTZ7S batteries are 3/4" higher than the stock "4" battery. I also notice KTM parts sites show 2 different battery boxes. Will the slightly taller battery still fit in either battery box (height-wise...the other measurements are the same) ?

the AGM batteries show more CCA, and the 5 shows 80 CCA vs the stock 50 CCA. This should be enough to start me okay? I would splurge on the lith/iron, but may sell bike soon.

I had the Turn Tech 5amp for about 1 1/2 years and it worked great, but finally gave up, so I replaced it with a Shorai 9amp and it starts right up. I think all these type of "new" light weight batteries work pretty well.