Sign in to follow this  

Which stainless steel brake lines should I buy?

Christmas means a bit of money for a youngin' like me, so I think im going to give my DRZ a little lovin' with some SS brake lines, but I don't know which ones to buy!

Looks like I have a choice of

Galfer/MSR -------- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=664

Moose ------------- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2010/default.asp?p=596

Moto-master ------ http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=588

Russell ------------- http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=587

Are brake lines universal throughout all years? Are brake lines universal throughout the different models? E/S/SM? (I have a 2008 sm)

Is there any sort of consensus on which one is best? I was looking at galfer or moose, but i dont really know what makes a good SS brake line a good SS brake line. Any advice or previous experience is appreciated. :bonk: Thanks!

P.S. : I'm sure this has been covered before but I suck with searching. Trust me, I tried to search but wasn't able to find anything! :smirk:

Edited by Joester

Keep away from the Russell lines. I used them on a bike once and all the fittings rusted and the outer coating cracked up in one summer.

The HEL lines look really nice. They are cheap and look well thought out.

Make sure you get lines with a coating so they don't saw your plastics, ensure the fittings are also stainless, and get plated washers instead of copper washers. Anything else is a compromise and will not last on a dirt bike.

Steve

Keep away from the Russell lines. I used them on a bike once and all the fittings rusted and the outer coating cracked up in one summer.

The HEL lines look really nice. They are cheap and look well thought out.

Make sure you get lines with a coating so they don't saw your plastics, ensure the fittings are also stainless, and get plated washers instead of copper washers. Anything else is a compromise and will not last on a dirt bike.

Steve

I like the HEL lines too:thumbsup:. What's wrong with copper washers?

I have hel...ones used ones brand new...their yellow...I'm probably going to sell them because they don't match my new bike, I need some red ones

I've run Moose on my last couple of bikes and they hold up really well.

I currently run HEL lines and they seem to be holding up pretty well, except that the color coating on the metal fittings is starting to come off. Even with that I'd still buy em agian, just get the stainless (non colored) fittings.

How do they fit on the bike?

The pictures I've seen so far make them look like they would interfere with the speedo gauge view... like they're passing right above the speedo.

I was gona order brake lines too and was looking at hell ones aswell.

If your not racing do you really need them? SM front brakes are good with plenty of stopping power for general use ...

The brakes on some bikes are very average and need all the upgrades but IMO not the case with the SM...

I have had Hel brake lines on a couple of previous race bikes ...Hel did the job with no issues...

So maybe you could put you young hard earned $ towards towards some performance upgrades.:smirk:.Big bore , cams , stroker ,41 Fcr.:bonk::blah:

If your not racing do you really need them? SM front brakes are good with plenty of stopping power for general use ...

The brakes on some bikes are very average and need all the upgrades but IMO not the case with the SM...

I have had Hel brake lines on a couple of previous race bikes ...Hel did the job with no issues...

So maybe you could put you young hard earned $ towards towards some performance upgrades.:awww:.Big bore , cams , stroker ,41 Fcr.:banana::blah:

Hey Craigo,

Racing or no racing; "K, E, S, or SM", SS brakelines should be one of the 1st mods to be done, IMO. :bonk: SS brakelines really make a big difference, especially in the front. :smirk:

To the OP. Get whichever brakeline you want. They all serve the same purpose. :busted:

Hey Craigo,

Racing or no racing; "K, E, S, or SM", SS brakelines should be one of the 1st mods to be done, IMO. :bonk: SS brakelines really make a big difference, especially in the front. :smirk:

:

K, E, S.??..I fully agree that their brakes need upgrading..with larger rotors as well..:banana:

SM..??..A case of maybe for me..Remember I am talking General Use, not racing. Of course the brakes are going to be better with SS lines., but whether they are needed here,for General Use is open to conjecture..and matter of opinion....:busted:

I can do stoppies on a stock SM brake so "I am happy ,Jan"....:awww:

Craig is 100 percent correct, they are not needed for general use...but for the simple fact that they are so cheap, 110 for both lines, it is definitely worth the money to upgrade...but then again it is open to opinion

Thanks for all the replies! Ill probably go moose because i want to order from the TT store because i have a few other thibgs to buy and i didnt see the HEL lines on the TT store.

I know I dont race and probably dont really need them, im just looking for a little crisper/cleaner feeling brake lever.

1-814-489-3379

MOTOheaven

They sell em just ask for drz400sm brake lines, they cut them to exact length, any color you want and change the tip colors too which is awesome...

Thanks for all the replies! Ill probably go moose because i want to order from the TT store because i have a few other thibgs to buy and i didnt see the HEL lines on the TT store.

I know I dont race and probably dont really need them, im just looking for a little crisper/cleaner feeling brake lever.

And that's what you're gonna get!:bonk: