Sign in to follow this  

Michigan north west, ludington MI area riding

Hey Folks, Im thinking of relocating the family to Ludington, MI. What could i expect as far as riding through out the year? It looks like the soil is a sandy mix. Does it freeze soild and can it be ripped in the winter if you dont have any snow cover? And how about snow, how much and what months?

We ride MX and will have enough land to have a little private practice track for the week but like to go out to the tracks on the weekends to race or practice. From what it looks like I should expect anywhere from a 1hr to 3+hrs drive. Are any of the tracks open year long?

What about woods riding? Looks like there is some nice national forests around there as well. Thanks for the info.

There are a lot of ORV trails about 30 miles from Ludington, check vvmapping.com for complete trail listings.

Lots of sand, lots of trees, lots of riding options very close to you for _trail_ riding. Can't comment on the MX scene. Also the dunes, Silver Lake Use Area, is close by for genuine dune running.

Gobs of cycle-only single track near the area. http://www.vvmapping.com/miorv for picts, video, maps and more info.

That all depends..... Heck, you could be playing golf here right now with the way the weather is...

any word on the length of the riding season?

May - October easy and another month before/after if you aren't a fair-weather rider.

May - October easy and another month before/after if you aren't a fair-weather rider.

Ok thats not too bad, If i can get 8 out of 12 months ill be happy with that. As long as i can get changed in the garage before the ride, I can handle some sloppy and cold days. Thanks

Also I figure if you get a year with heavy snow Ill try a snow mobile.:bonk:

jjet, my long time friend lives in ludington, his family moved up there in '01 after high school...and i like it up there, but it is very dead around there in the winter! In the summer its quite busy, lot of diff events.

I actually just got back into riding, got a bike right before t-day, so i rode it during hunting season (within the allowable hours btw) simply because id JUST got the bike and really wanted to do one ride before the snow flew. It was like 50s the weekend after t-day. SO season? Well march - december imo...its been so mild and no snow this whole month if i had time id of jetted and gone up when it was 40's. I only do single tracks so not a lot of wind chill doin 4th gear, haha.

Anyhow, yes most of the trails in the area are sandy...from fine dune type very consistent sand to more coarse sand/gravel mix in some areas. Not a whole lot of rock climb type stuff, some decent hills, but overall very fun trails for beginner - advanced, i mean if you were an expert woods rider some of em may be kinda blah to you. But i always have a blast. The trails are kept up pretty decent, I may even volunteer up there this year if i get a chance. Sometimes there is trees to hop, big mud holes to traverse etc, but its all part of the fun. Lot of trees which make the single tracks a lil more technical to snake through some of em. Some great berms on some of the trails too, especially the one that cross M-10 about 12miles west of baldwin.

There is a mix of trails too. From Ludington the best trails are in and around baldwin, MI...some nice loops up there, and if you go to peacock motorsports in baldwin they have trail maps if you cant find one online. Anything from 20-40mile loops or so, so you could make a nice day trail ride out of the bigger loops. And the trails sometimes are single track or slightly wider (quad) trails for miles...and other times u have to do a leg, then onto a 2 track type trail then jump back onto another leg, etc...all depends on the trails.

I will say make sure you stay on the marked stuff, and park at the trail heads. That weekend i went up by t-day we got busted cuz my buddy said it was ok to park at a spot to save us 30mins of driving to the head, and it wasnt ok...got a nice $175 ticket each. DNR and the forest service BOTH patrol those areas, and if you are on federal land, DNR has no problem gettin ahold of the forest service for jurisdiction. Just lil advice..haha. The DNR lady who caught us sat by our trucks and waited for 1/2hr she said, lol.

Anyhow, someone mentioned the dunes, im not into em, but you may be...id go during the week tho since you're close, buncha drunk loons up there on the weekends in dune buggies and 4 wheelers and it can be mayhem on a big busy weekends...and dangerous.

Tracks, well there isnt a TON of MX tracks right nearby, i do believe there is one somewhere north bout an hour, and also if you drive bout 1-1.5hrs south in gratton there is one, least used to be. Believe there is another one too but im drawing a blank...you could definitely google that.

Anyhow, tons of trails to have fun on, and if you ride em to the point your bored, you can head about 1.5hrs east to Grayling/Gaylord area and check out the loops there. Also fun and a little bit harder pack with some decent hills and stuff. Also i would say the baldwin trails could be ridden even if lightly snowy, but it they were rutted out and the water soaked sand froze, im not sure how fun itd be, LOL....Also keep in mind in the early spring there is usually some large puddles from the melt to cross, for some riders not a biggie, but for a beginner they can be treacherous.

There are some people up there who have their own private tracks, and some of em are quite sweet, but its mainly just for them and their friends due to liability im sure. I dont know if you ever heard of the Pro Privateer Kelly Smith, well hes from there and lives there now, and I know him and some of his buddies ride somewhere nearby.

At long last, snowfall varies, you get lake effect and its very unpredictable, sometimes it will dump right on you, other times it wont dump until 40-50miles inland. Some weeks you get very little, other weeks you could get bombed with several inches a day.

Wow great info, sounds like a fun place! We live in the middle of now where in Va and like it quiet (except when riding at the house) so we will be used to nothing going on in the winter.

We do MX mostly, but I have fun in the woods as well! I do agree about the dunes, we were up last Aug. and I checked it out and thought it was just to chaotic. Now let me ride there when its empty and Id have a blast.

We will have a track at the house for practice and from what I see we can hit about a dozen tracks to race within 1hr to 3.5 hrs away. Not too bad.

Headed up in Jan to look at some houses from eaton rapids to Kalamazoo up to ludington and Big rapids and in between. Thanks for the info.

I live in Ludington, have all my life, except for 4 yrs, decent amount of rideing can be had with not a huge drive, tracks i believe the closest now is Big Air in Newaygo, there was 1 getting started over in Baldwin called the Dog track but i think that fell apart, unless you can find someone with 1 on their property. Check out 2TrakR's mapping for all the trails, lots to be had:thumbsup: