Sign in to follow this  

160 instead if 140 with just gearing change. Possible?

hey there!

I'm going on a track day with my dad in early january. It's out at QLD raceway for any australians on here

Anyway had a look on youtube of the track and the drz is definitely going to be topping out. So i was wondering about changing the gearing to get a little bit more top speed.

However i'm not sure if this will achieve anything since it doesn't pull all of fifth atm

i'm not expecting it to suddenly go 200kph but 160 would be a lot nicer that 140 :bonk:

It's an SM with a mrd, 3x3, and dynojet rejet with lots of awesome mixed in.

Any ideas?

Can't wait to kill some crotch rockets in the corners :smirk:

Edited by clevermetal
'an' and 'a'. I'll get it one day

I think going up one size on the countershaft sprocket will give you just the little extra you're looking for.

EDIT: just read that you can't pull all the way through 5th, which is actually an interesting scenario. You can do 2 things

#1- Find the highest gear ratio that lets you pull all the way through 5th.

#2- Find some gear ratio that lets you pull most of the way through 5th, but still end up being faster than gear ratio 1 when maxed out.

I'm not sure which one is the best or how to proceed.

What is the gearing on it now? If you can't pull full revs in top now, you need to either gear down or buy more power.

140 KPH is 87 mph. Sounds a little slow for a DRZ400SM.

I have a stock S model that could do 100 mph (screaming) with the 15t front sprocket. Now that I have the 16t it wont go much past 90 mph. Definitely need to buy more power.

my DRZ does exactly 87 maxed out and im only 135lb. stock gearing, but that was without the MRD when i figured that out. probably does about 95 now.

mine went 100mph all stock. I was tapped out. ive seen 102mph on the cluster after all the mods and such (stock gearing) I'm geared differently now, not worried about top speed anymore

I have a stock S model that could do 100 mph (screaming) with the 15t front sprocket. Now that I have the 16t it wont go much past 90 mph. Definitely need to buy more power.

Does that mean it is not worth changing to a 16 tooth?

Qld raceway on the full circuit is going to be a long way round on a near stock SM ..:bonk:

With some drafting you should be able to max it out with 15/38T..

here are a few laps round on bigger bikes..

If you cant pull 5th gear to redline then you need more power, or different gearing. I hnoticed i couldnt get past 100mph with the stock 15/41 gearing so I went to a 43 in the rear. the top speed is about the same but I get there faster now :bonk:

Is it bad to bounce it off the rev limiter once or twice a day? I've never hit it yet but I'm curious....

I ran 15/38 on my E on 17's and it would top out at 160kmh, but in stock trim it made 1st gear a bit of a struggle.

Dizle I would say no but, remember that the longer you stay close to the red the faster your engine burns out.

15/38 on a 436 i does indicate 110 mph now and again ! cruises at 75 easy.