Need advice on enclosed trailer 16'

Hey guys, i'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. I'll usually be hauling 2 to 3 dirt bikes, every once in a while 4. I was going to get a 14' but from reading on here, most of you guys say go bigger!! So i'm leaning toward a 16' and maybe 16' v-nose if it is necessary for room. I looked at a local trailer shop (Trailer Plus) Interstate trailers and they seem to be good. However, they don't have v-nose and say they are not worth the extra price.. I have a few questions for those of you who have enclosed trailers.

I've noticed most of the cheaper trailers have 24" spacing between the walls or roof, is this a big difference from the 16" spacing?

Torsion axles, do I need them are they worth it?

Is it good to have the bar lock on the side door? I want the camper side door handle so I can open from the inside.

V-nose or not? Would I be able to fit 4 bikes in a box style trailer easy?

I'm very interested in your thoughts and what you would have done differently if you were buying again. I'll be using a 2010 F-150 5.4L to haul it.

Thanks

Bar lock on side door, but also an RV style latch, so you could sleep in it but still secure the door.

When sleeping in it, place the lock on the hasp for the bar lock, but leave the bar outside the latch thing, so it can't be locked.

• Like 1

I have a 16'er and my Tahoe handles it just fine. I didn't get a V nose, so I can't really speak to that issue. I have the ramp rear door and think it's the only way to go. If I had it to do over, I would get the wider trailer, the one with part of the wheel inside the frame of the trailer, that way you could load bikes sideways, and fit lots of them. I can easily get four in there now, and can do six with a little creativity. Get the torsion axle, it's just a better system.

I bought a new 7X16, back in 04. I had an 8-14 before, same square fotoage, but the 7X16 hach much more room for some reason. I have found bikes, large quads take about almost 8 feet overall, so a 14 footer can not haul 2 deep. So if you plan on hauling bikes, get it in multiples of 8 feet, ie 8, 16 etc depending on how many bikes you want to haul. I went 7 wide, liked the axles outside the trailer and was easier to see down the sides of the trailer when towing and tucks behind the tow rig which makes a lot less air drag.

Most trailers follow homes on stud spacing, ie 16" OC on the walls and the roof is typically 24" OC, just like a home.

I made a few mods to mine, but works great for hauling gear, bikes, camping etc.

toyota_mdt_tech dual sport trailer (cargo % semi rough camping)

thanks guys for the help!! Slow bike, good points on the side door!! I planned on getting the camper style side door and liked the idea of the bar for added security. B lamb, I thought about a wider trailer but I'm leaning more toward the 7' for the same reasons that Toyota mentioned. I think I could angle them in a 7' if needed. Toyota, good point on the 8' length on the bikes. I experienced that a few weeks ago, a buddy of mine has a twenty foot and we put 4 bikes in his end to end and that when I decided that if I was going to go end to end I would need at least a 16'. That's what got me interested in the v-nose for a little extra room up front for a tool chest and extras. However, i will usually only haul 3 bikes. Don't know if I really need to spend the extra cash for other peoples bikes... Toyota, I love the set up you have in your trailer. Something similar to yours is the goal for mine when I get it. I'm looking at the interstate Pro series with the torsion bars and other upgrades. Thanks again for the help!!

...Toyota, I love the set up you have in your trailer. Something similar to yours is the goal for mine when I get it. I'm looking at the interstate Pro series with the torsion bars and other upgrades. Thanks again for the help!!

I do have the Dexter axles, but its leaf sprung. It rides really smooth just being tandem. I have no experience with torsion, but heard they are even smoother.

Mine is basic on the inside. I didnt want to loose sight of the fact it was and still is just a cargo trailer. And I wanted to be able to still use it for that, but be comfortable on those overnight rides or long weekends. If I did it over (and this was my 2nd one) I'd omit the inverter (Xantrex 1000) and the roof mounted AC. I just havent used them enough to justify it.

Good to know Toyota!! I might opt for the cheaper trailer. I too will only use it for an over night stay or possibly the weekend. One of the main reasons for it is the security if we stay in a motel before a race. I have a 6x10 utility but don't feel comfortable staying in a motel with the bikes on it.

Hey guys, i'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. I'll usually be hauling 2 to 3 dirt bikes, every once in a while 4. I was going to get a 14' but from reading on here, most of you guys say go bigger!! So i'm leaning toward a 16' and maybe 16' v-nose if it is necessary for room. I looked at a local trailer shop (Trailer Plus) Interstate trailers and they seem to be good. However, they don't have v-nose and say they are not worth the extra price.. I have a few questions for those of you who have enclosed trailers.

I'd shop somewhere else, I have had both flat and V-nose trailers, and IMHO, it's wasted space to NOT have a V-nose.

What kind of sales guy talks the customer out of an upgrade/option? :bonk:

I've noticed most of the cheaper trailers have 24" spacing between the walls or roof, is this a big difference from the 16" spacing?

If you ever think you might want to add a roof AC, hang cabinets or racks on the walls, install E-track on the walls for tiedowns or storage purposes like decking, you want to go with 16" OC supports.

Another thing I would highly stress is treated plywood. I'm partial to 3/4" variety for it's strength, but less thick flooring will suffice. Some companies will try to tell you that treated is unnecessary because it's inside the trailer, but what about the side of the plywood that's under the trailer? That's exposed to the rain, road grime, etc!

Torsion axles, do I need them are they worth it?

You don't need them, but they do make it that much smoother of a ride. Tandem's ride pretty good to start with, but then toss torsion on there, and it's even smoother.

For the light weight use that our trailers (sports use) see, torsion axles are great.

For something that's going to haul something heavy like a skid loader, torsions aren't so great.

Is it good to have the bar lock on the side door? I want the camper side door handle so I can open from the inside.

I agree with slowbike, or if the option is expensive, get one of these and put it on instead:

http://www.transportsecurity.com/Trailer-Container-Locks.asp

reardoor.jpg

V-nose or not? Would I be able to fit 4 bikes in a box style trailer easy?

VERY easily. I just sold my 5x10 + V-nose, and I used to get 4 bikes in there. It was tight, but they fit and nothing was banging against anything else. They were diagonally, and there was still room on the tail for cooler, gas cans, gear bags, tools, etc.

I'm very interested in your thoughts and what you would have done differently if you were buying again. I'll be using a 2010 F-150 5.4L to haul it.

Thanks

I would NOT get a center mounted jack (up in the V of the tongue).

Mine was rigid mounted (could not swing away) and because of this, I could not open my tailgate without smashing into the top of the jack. I swapped that out for a swing away mount.

Ramp doors-for bikes and toys, I loved mine. For loading stuff like building materials at the lumberyard, not so much.

E-track-you can never have too much. Makes securement of anything possible in any spot in the trailer.

Thanks CH for all the answers! Good point on the center mount jack, i didn't think about that. With your comments and a few others, it looks like I could get away with a 7x14 since I will rarely haul 4 bikes and at and never plan on hauling more than that. However, for the price difference a 16' might be the answer...

Thanks CH for all the answers! Good point on the center mount jack, i didn't think about that. With your comments and a few others, it looks like I could get away with a 7x14 since I will rarely haul 4 bikes and at and never plan on hauling more than that. However, for the price difference a 16' might be the answer...

How much more for the 16' over the 14'?

I have the jack fixed to the tongue. I just lock my tailgate so no one opens it and smashes it into the trailer. But a good point.

I have a topper on my half ton, and like to use it for storage under there...made it a real PITA to pull everything out the window and unable to open the gate.

• 4 years later...

I bought a new 7X16, back in 04. I had an 8-14 before, same square fotoage, but the 7X16 hach much more room for some reason. I have found bikes, large quads take about almost 8 feet overall, so a 14 footer can not haul 2 deep. So if you plan on hauling bikes, get it in multiples of 8 feet, ie 8, 16 etc depending on how many bikes you want to haul. I went 7 wide, liked the axles outside the trailer and was easier to see down the sides of the trailer when towing and tucks behind the tow rig which makes a lot less air drag.

Most trailers follow homes on stud spacing, ie 16" OC on the walls and the roof is typically 24" OC, just like a home.

I made a few mods to mine, but works great for hauling gear, bikes, camping etc.

toyota_mdt_tech dual sport trailer (cargo % semi rough camping)

OK, quoting myself. I have had a request for the link. My ISP is Comcast and they took away or moved my location for storage of files and photos. So all my links and photos were removed. I do have everything on a hard drive and if I can find out if they moved the storage location, to where, I can upload it all again. Or of they just removed that feature from me all together, I am not sure.

Anyone else have Comcast and still uploading files? I got a email from them telling me to save as it was all going away and never found out if I lost the service or if it was just moved. ?

Hey Toyota Tech!

I was just going to message you but it might be better in a general forum for more opinions...just picked up a flatbed gooseneck in your neck of the woods...I am currently rebuilding the trailer and will need to re-deck it...what is your recommendation to use? I am wanting wood but there are so many options and opinions that I dont know where to even begin...

Thanks,

-MT-

Bar lock on side door, but also an RV style latch, so you could sleep in it but still secure the door.

When sleeping in it, place the lock on the hasp for the bar lock, but leave the bar outside the latch thing, so it can't be locked.

Good idea. Always worry about a "jokester" in the group closing it and then forgetting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a 7x16 ATC v-nose enclosed trailer. We have three dirt bikes and are planning to get a UTV for my wife. I added 6" to the ceiling height so I would have at least 72" through the ramp door opening for the UTV.  For four dirt bikes, a 7x14 is WAY big enough.  Dirt bikes are roughly 86' overall length (say 7') and the larger UTV's are around 9' long so for me 16' was about right.  You can stagger the dirt bikes to get four inside quite easily.

The trailer salesman originally told me that 7x14 is a really popular size - for the Harley riders that haul their rides everywhere instead of ride them...  Happy Trails!