Sign in to follow this  

350 wheels

I know theres a ton of threads on wheels, but I know that the ktm stock wheels are pretty light. I don't want to replace them with wheels/hubs that are going to be heavier than stock.

Also, 90% of the threads I read people talking about dna or warp9 and all those other wheels that say they are fine, also post about riding enduro type stuff. being a decent b motocross rider, riding/racing 2-3 times a week, im not as easy on bikes as probably most of the people commenting on stuff, so its hard to go off of some reviews.

with that said, i got a decent ding in my stock front wheel. would like to go w/ black rims. debating on getting a60's laced up to my stock hubs, or just get a wheel/hub combo.

What would be my options that are going to be A. same or lighter weight than stock.. B. use OEM parts so I know what to replace stuff with and C. not fall apart on me.

thanks guys

I have a set of stock rims fyi. Never used. I laced up Excels and rode them a season. I now just recently aquired a set of Mike Alessi's Dirt Star rims and laced them up (I am a sucker for the white riting and the fact they were his). They are supposedly 15% stronger than excels. They have decent rim sweep and plenty of dings but the things are perfectly round and look sweet. My wheel guy who has been doing it for over 20 years says they are perfect still. Anyway I laced them up with the stock spokes and nipples before he trued them and they were a tighter fit where the nipple slid through which I liked.

I am weary about the Warp 9 stuff. My 2 $ents:ride:

I believe some aftermarket hubs are sourced from China. I lace black Excels on the stock hubs. The stock silver wheels are junk, they get flat spotted going over a cigarette butt.

By the way I have an extra Dirt Star for the front that came from Alessi if you are interested. The stockers are weak indeed. I have seen it a lot.

I've been really trying to dig into this lately.. I don't want to buy junk, or spend 1200 ona wheel set to find i could have spent 700 with the same results.

I'm shocked at the lack of data out there, whether it be forums or even from manufacturer websites.

I wrote off warp 9 completely. Originally wrote off DNA. However it seems that possibly all of the hate/bad reviews is like 2010 and back. Maybe product changed? For the price its almost worth trying. I just know they are going to be heavy. I then looking at the pricey options like Talon or Kite. And then theres the in the middle of Rad MFG.

I can't find any info on weight. I'm torn between A60 or Dirt start wheels. If I decide dirt star, IDK if I go STX or LTX (strong/lighter) I'm sure they are probably pretty comparable... the hubs probably where the weight savings would come in.

I can't find anything on weight of hubs. I spend $1000 on a TI exhaust, why ADD weight to the bike to have fancy looking hubs. However if I could have find facts as to what they weigh I probably would have pulled the trigger on some by now.

I'm over trying to figure it out!! Someone help! lol

You have to go stock hubs and spokes with LTX rims. Light and strong. Those are the ones I got from Alessis bike after he got done abusing them. Still perfect. The stock hubs are beautiful. Its cheap to lace them yourself and have a shop true them.

TCR hubs with Excel standard or A60's, buchannan spokes.

TCR's are as light as stock hubs, whereas all the others are heavier.

Call TCR.

thanks guys. yah the stock hubs arent bad, but aren't orange either. lol..

couldnt reallly see if the pros were runninng ltx or stx..not many clear enough pics to see it. saw a few of each though.

going to look into tcr also

I believe some aftermarket hubs are sourced from China. I lace black Excels on the stock hubs. The stock silver wheels are junk, they get flat spotted going over a cigarette butt.

+1:thumbsup:

I never understood why people had boners for aftermarket hubs after I got a KTM. I mean I love the orange hubs just as much as the next guy but the stockers are mint:ride:

I have been building a few KTM wheels lately and have been weighting and comparing several components. The current (4.5mm double-butted spokes, aluminum nipples) KTM wheels are really hard to beat regarding weight and combined with an Excel A60 rim are also holding up well. To get close in weight with a Talon hub I had to go to the Carbon hub combined with the KTM 4.5mm double-butted spokes (you need the 19" KTM spokes for a 18" Talon wheel sinces the Talon hub takes longer spokes) and KTM aluminum nipples. Result was within a few grams of the stock 2012 KTM rear wheel. A complete 18" rear wheel with 52 teeth aluminum sprocket, stock brake disk, Excel A60, tubliss and a Bridgestone 110/100-18 comes in at just under 11kg.

Really bad regarding weight are the standard Talon hubs - those have 3 wheel bearings and combined with std. stainless spokes and steel nipples makes for a very tough, but 900g (2lb) heavier wheel. This is IMO very noticeable for anything faster than 2nd gear trail riding.

Just my 2 cent.

Michael

Nice info as usual Michael. So in a nutshell you pretty much have to run carbon hubs to match the stock wheel weight. How have you found the durability of the stock hubs and spokes? I feel that lacing them with a decent rim as we have makes for the best set I have had.:smirk:

thanks michael, good info

also TCR says anodizing the stock hub won't come out right. that'd be the nicest option for sure, laced up to some a60's or LT-X's..

My riding gets the attention....OHHHHHH!!!! Had to!!!:lol::smirk:

Where did your post go Rickk? I am really not this full of myself.:bonk:

How have you found the durability of the stock hubs and spokes?:

No complaints here, the rim is the key. Plus with the stock hubs you get the added bonus of easily available parts from any KTM dealer - spacers, bearings, seals, spokes and nipples. Try to find a specific Talon spacer or spoke (Talon hubs use two differnt lengths spokes) in the middle of nowhere or even just before a race.

Michael

how much is a set of KTM hubs id like a spare set of wheels with fresh rubber when i start racing again