Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk reeds for stock cage after top end rebuild

Hey guys well I've done a ton of searching on this site about different reed setups for bikes, but not much for my particular late 90's CR. I have a 98 cr250 that we're putting a top end in soon and I'm really NOT looking for any more power, but if an aftermarket Boyesen is better than a OEM replacement, I want to go with it.

I am not interested in Rad Valve Nor Vforce3. Just looking for reliability using the stock cage.

-What is the difference between the Boyesen POWER reeds vs. The PRO or STOCK reeds? What would be best for me? Again, I just want reliability...Not HP jumps.

-I have always heard to stay away from a certain type of reed that frays easy, what is it? I want to say it was carbon fiber or something similar?

-Also, last time we took out my reed cage, the gasket that goes in between it and the motor was broken! Can this cause an air leak?

My knowledgeable mechanic friend said that it CANNOT but I just simply don't believe him. Please let me know on that, but I am definitely replacing that gasket when we do my top end.

To end, as I said new top end is going in soon and this bike has been sitting for a few years, so I'm basically replacing everything that isn't cherry but I just wanted to get a base list together for main things to do when we put the piston in. So far I'm thinking:

-Silencer Packing

-New exhaust springs and o rings for expansion chamber

-New reeds and gasket

-Hour meter

Just if you think of any things that I can do while were doing the top end to make fresh let me know and thanks for looking!! Merry Christmas!!! :bonk:

Griffin

aaahahaha that's hilarious! Leave it to the rednecks....I certainly won't be doing that, but I did notice there aren't carbon fiber reeds but there is carbon and then there is fiber. At least on Rcky Mnt. they listed those (2) different kinds, not carbon fiber.

I guess I will go for the super stock boyesen replacements, along with a new reed gasket. I guess the verdict IS that a broken reed gasket can cause the air leak? Mine is broken but the piece that is broken is stuck onto my reed cage, and my friend tried to convince me that was somehow still sealing? I think it's BS. I feel like I can't replace it soon enough.

-Also, last time we took out my reed cage, the gasket that goes in between it and the motor was broken! Can this cause an air leak?

Griffin

Yes, It can cause an air leak

You did say your going to build a leak tester didn't you?

I use mine a lot, just for piece of mind

Edit: sorry - did not see the previous replies

when I put my Boyesen on it leaked at the new gasket, turned out I had to use Honda torque values, not Boyesen's

On the screws that attach to reeds or bolts that attach reed cage to cylinder?

Bolts that attach the cage to the cylinder - I told them about it and they said they would update the instructions

I think it was 2NM less then Honda, leaked on four sides

Yes, It can cause an air leak

You did say your going to build a leak tester didn't you?

I use mine a lot, just for piece of mind

Edit: sorry - did not see the previous replies

when I put my Boyesen on it leaked at the new gasket, turned out I had to use Honda torque values, not Boyesen's

Okay perfect that's what I thought. I mentioned I recently had the bike scream to the moon on me on (2) separate occasions. First time was when I just started it up and it started raging, then another time in the middle of a stand up wheelie at the track (nono) but my throttle tube/housing/ and cable were very very old and nasty along with a mis-routed cable but the bike was running very well in between both times revved to the moon. Now that it has all new throttle hardware, it's been great but I still definitely suspect a air leak. Especially now that I know my torn reed gasket very well could be causing it. I also suspect the head and base gasket, just because they're old as shit. I do plan on doing the leak down test. Not building my own. My friend's friend has a leak down tester apparently but it could be a real pain to get it so we'll see I just want to make sure it's done.

I ordered my 58 pilot jet, so hopefully that will clear up my surging and get my air screw back out to 1 and 3/4 turns where it's supposed to be.