Sign in to follow this  

Crunchy PW50 crankcase

Well I am rebuilding a 30 year old PW50 here. The piston and cylinder was totally scored beyond belief, so I have a top end rebuild kit coming to me. However, even with the head off I can feel that there is dirt/crunchiness in the crankcase when I manually turn it. I rinsed the crankcase out with gasoline, it's a lot cleaner now, but still crunchy when turned slow (smoother when turned fast). I think it may be a good idea to open up the crankcase and take the crank out to totally clean it up. I just don't know how to do it. I think screws are holding it together (horrible idea to use screws). And I don't want to spend money and wait for any new crankcase seals or anything since I it is not my bike (im just working on it). So would it be ok to crack open the crankcase and reuse the crankcase seals? And how do you go about doing it?

The main bearings are either full of dirt/debris, they are rusty, or the bearings are worn out or damaged. In any case, the cases will have to be split and bearings replaced.

If you take it apart you will need the gaskets a flywheel puller and most likely crank bearings. You may also need a case splitter or bolt grip puller set. Impact screw driver to loosen the screws. A good manual would help and explain the details.

Yeah, I know more money needs to be spend on it. They (my cousins - i'm fixing it for them) were even debating on whether to spend $90 on the top end rebuilt kit. It is a PW50 from when they first came out and they got it for like $200 a few years ago.

If its going to take an impact tool to take it off, then there is no hope... because their garage doesn't have many tools.

If I just put the new top end on without breaking apart the crankcase to clean it... how long do you think this bike will last? I can clean it to where the only particles are the ones trapped in the bearings.

If you clean it the best you can I bet it will last a year or so. Really depends how much they ride it. An impact screw driver is not all that expensive. 20-30 bucks will get you something that will get the screws out.

You can buy a complete good running motor off ebay really cheap, maybe $100 to $150. For that price I don't see any reason to split cases knowing that you will have to atleast buy bearings, gaskets, top end kit, and possibly have the cylinder bored. Not to mention the mess and time it will take to do it. A good used pw seems to go for around $500.

I see motors on there for $350. But they just spent a lot on christmas gifts and dont think they want to spend $350 now. I think the best option they have is to have the top end rebuilt, and then ride that until it craps out and then just buy a much newer (but used one) on craigs list for $500 or so.