Sign in to follow this  

Just rounded off my swingarm bolt... any hope?

Hey all,

I decided I would give my XR a good cleaning this winter... based on the caked on grime, it appears that the PO hosed the bike down maybe twice? Anyway, most of the bolts on the bike were partially seized with corrosion, but came off with some elbow grease. However, when I went to remove the swingarm bolt.... NOTHING. Wouldn't budge. I should have hit it with some PB Blaster (although I think that may have killed the bearings/seals), but instead I got a piece of pipe to extend the ratchet. After another minute of fighting with my ultra-torque ratchet, something broke loose (I thought I finally got the bolt...). Inspection revealed that I partially rounded off the head of the biggest bolt on the bike.

Has anyone else ever done this, or have a solution?

I can get a picture if it is unclear what I did

>>>>>>>Just rounded off my swingarm bolt... any hope?<<<<<<<<<

None what-so-ever. That is, of it coming out without it possibly taking a lot of work.

Did you at least get the nut off? After getting the nut off, the second you realize the bolt won't turn is the time to hit it with some PB and let it soak over night. Getting the bolt to turn is the first step in getting it out.

Heat is your friend. Not on the bolt itself, but the engine and swingarm journals that bolt passes thru.

Use the search function here. Lot of previous posts on getting it out. Everything from taking a sawz-all to it and cutting it out, to using an air hammer, to using dry ice.

Yeah... that bolt has been a real problem to lots of folks. :bonk:

But, on the other hand... unless you need to remove your engine from the frame. I'd just shoot it with the PB Blaster every now and again and deal with it later.

One of my XR400's still has not given up this bolt yet either. :smirk:

Perc

Did you get the nut off? If so:

1. A 2kg hammer and a massive steel rod (punch). Sharp blows, but don't go wild.

2. Heat. Strong flame, through the center hole of the pivot shaft. You should see the flame shoot out at the other side. (You will need some new seals). Go through maybe ten cycles (heat and let cool down). Then go to #1 again (hammer)

try an impact gun on it, heat the swingarm/linkage. if that doesnt work, drill the top of the head off and punch it through

if you strippd the nut, depending on how bad. you can take a dremel with a small drum on it straighten up the sides and put a 6pt socket on n try again. make sure you use PB or KRYOIL this time.

or, take a ur dremel with a cutting wheel and carefully cut the nut.

dont those have grease zerts???

you might try and "smack" a socket on it and hit it with an impact ... obviously lubing it first ... also FWIW ... XR's are FAMOUS for the swing arm pivot point drying out ... and that's when the rest of it is not corroded ... I've heard of people having to cut the swing arm / frame to get it out.

One of my XR400's still has not given up this bolt yet either. :bonk:

Perc

LOL

This is differently the bolt from hell if left to rust, I put a steel wedge between the frame and engine and used a hack saw blade and cut it in three pieces, that worked well and I had it out in a half hour. I was pulling the engine out so it had to go.

Good luck !

Thanks everybody!

Because I don't absolutely NEED to get the swingarm off (it was more of a "well I can't ride it, why not see how everything works and give it a good cleaning?") I will just clean everything as much as I can with the swingarm attached and the engine in the frame.

But at least a learned a valuable lesson... if it isn't turning, then STOP FORCING IT! lol. Also, search the forums before starting a new thread... didn't realize this was a common problem with XRs.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Don't get scared off and half-ass it. It's a suspension link that needs lubrication and annual maintenance and it will only get worse. You got it this far , get-er done, you got a winter .

ya dude, you got it this far. left in this condition it'll just get worse and possibly cause more damage. ya, cut it and get a new one!

I would certainly finish the job, there's no doubt your swing arm needs to be lubed ... and left in a declining situation, it just may cease up ... and you don't want that .... :bonk:

Because I don't absolutely NEED to get the swingarm off (it was more of a "well I can't ride it, why not see how everything works and give it a good cleaning?") I will just clean everything as much as I can with the swingarm attached and the engine in the frame.

No way dood. Your swingarm bearing are shot - you do need to get in there.

I still don't know if you rounded the nut or the bolt. If you rounded the nut and have given up on unscrewing it, you can crack it with a nut cracker/splitter:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00904772000P

In any case, start pumping penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kroil into it. I'd soak it morning and night for a couple of weeks, then attack it again with an impact gun. You'll get it out eventually.

When it comes time to put it back together, pack the bearings with grease well, then slather the bolt with what you might think is too much grease, then jam it in. That bolt should be removed and re-greased at least once a season, twice if you ride in harsh conditions. Same for the steering head. Use a quality waterproof grease like Belray.

2007_Bel-Ray_Waterproof_Grease_--.jpg

Swingarm bolts and steering head bearings are good things to service with a good dollop of quality grease when the bike is brand new. CR axle adjusters too...

JayC

That guy with the press is to funny. lol And then he cuts the swing arm, freaking hilarious.

I had a master machinist / mechanic over here banging and bashing, always looking for a bigger hammer, making tools, drilling and more hammering till he lost it and went home disgusted and beat.

I put a steel wedge between the frame and engine and cut it with a hack saw then again on the other side of the engine. My buddy was :banghead:when I told him the next day.

It becomes a challenge and I don't stop till it's fixed.

I grease the hell out of things these days. I have discovered that Honda doesn't like to over lubricate anything, probably saves them some $