Sign in to follow this  

neglected S

hey all, i moved to norcal a year ago 3 days ago, and had my bike in storage waaaaaay longer than i expected to, i finally got it out of storage in april with a dead battery, fired it up in july or june with jumper cables and it ran like a champ, funds have been low so i couldnt afford a battery. My parents awesomely bought me one for christmas and gave it to me today, early so i could play with it and it will start with choke on, and idle really high, never comes down, wont take any throttle and will not start without the choke. Id love to get my poor neglected drz back out on the streets but im not sure what the best thing to do is, ( i did dump a gallon of new gas in there as it only had a very small amount of old gas). What do you verterans suggest i do? ive never done any carb work on these do id rather not just blindly go at it. thanks! ( and i knooow i knooow im stupid for not prepping it better for storage but i literally expected to store it for about 3 months tops and then be ridding it).

It sounds like you may have varnish in the jets from storing it with fuel in the carb. You will probably have to remove the carb and clean the jets.

Pilot jet for sure and probably other crud in the carb from old fuel. Replace the pilot jet is the best practice but I just clean. I poke a small wire like a bristle from a wire brush thru the jet like we are all told not to. Works for me.

There are 3 fuel jets in the carb once you get the bowl off. Pay attention to where each one goes. They are marked with numbers.

Those jets can be tight. Be sure you select a screwdriver that fits the pilot jet properly. You may even have to use a screwdriver that is larger than the hole the jet is in. If that is the case just grind the sides down until it fits. Failure to use the correct screw driver can resiult in a striped jet, then you are screwed. Also resist the urge to over tighten when going back in.

also i left the bike on prime lastnight like a tard, but i was wondering could it of been running this way because i had the seat and air cover off? too much air?

It sounds like you may have varnish in the jets from storing it with fuel in the carb. You will probably have to remove the carb and clean the jets.

just wanted to say pbblaster and chuck norris are like cousins or something. ya'll kick serious ass !

Seat and side cover off is not going to affect how it runs in the garage. Side cover may have some affect under load.

JD jetting kit and 3X3 air box mod is good but if you can't afford a battery you probably can't afford a jet kit. Just fix what's wrong and you will be way better off than you are now.

so i got the carb out, and the pilot jet was clogged, i pulled al lthe jets and blew em out, when i got the carb back in and got gas in it it was runnin the same! i decided to drain all the gass out of it and im going to try tomorrow with some new gas, are there any additives or anything you guys think i should try? or any other issues you can think of? i dont wanna take that carb out again it wasnt fun at all!

seafoam at min...

i've never tired it with my drz, but spray carb cleaner in the intake sometimes helps clean things... at least on my lawn mowers it does....

It may take more than one cleaning....that pilot jet has ZERO tolerance for any debris. I had the same symptoms as you described earlier this year, even though I had meticulously cleaned the carb.

I cleaned it once again and the bike IMMEDIATELY ran as it should.

Just do it again and check that no debris remains in your fuel lines...blow everything out. Be careful not to lose the small o-ring at the top of the carb

Cleaning a pilot jet to think it is fine cause it runs better is not good. Be sure you are not running lean and spend $5 on a new jet. It is cheap insurance.

Spend $20 on new gas and new jets. It will be fine.