Sign in to follow this  

Need quick reply! :) buying a 02 rm250

I'm about to buy a 2002 rm250. It has a new top end and many extras. It is in clearly used condition but no major damages other than a dent in the pipe and bent levers. The reason I need your help is that I have never owned an older 2stroke and I do not know what to expect. This is what I observed: Its jetted for higher elevation thus it runs rich here, it spits a pretty decent amount of oil out the exhaust (enough to splatter the rear fender), and just sitting outside a few large drops of oil fell from the front pipe to the ground. I do not know much about dirtbikes other than maintenance and I have never owned a bike this old, I sold my 2007 ktm 200 xcw a while ago and now I'm going for something green sticker.

Also, he claims that since the bike is from Colorado, he does not have paper work for it. He told me that it only takes a trip to the DMV to get it set up for California. I wrote down the VIN on the frame. I can post it if someone knows how to check it. He will provide a bill of sale. I just want to make sure it wont cost me much to register and that it is not stolen.

Thanks TT! :bonk:

Picked my 02 up bone stock really clean about 4-5 months ago and love it as I've done a few mods, all around great bike, only con I've had so far is changing the clutch plates which is nbd.

I plan on getting a new Barnett Dirt Digger Clutch Kit and possibly a PC pipe and Boyesen RAD valve kit.

Is there anything I should watch for? he rode it up and down the street but I cant get on till he has the money in hand. 1400 is what I'm going for on the price.

I plan on getting a new Barnett Dirt Digger Clutch Kit and possibly a PC pipe and Boyesen RAD valve kit.

Is there anything I should watch for? he rode it up and down the street but I cant get on till he has the money in hand. 1400 is what I'm going for on the price.

plan on doing a top end as soon as you get it.. no matter what he says... just keep that in mind.

If its spitting oil on the fender that means the jetting is rich.

and you might wanna look into if it's stolen or not before you lay down the cash. As far as the no cash no ride, I'd flash the cash and tell him you want a ride before the final purchase, he may be trying to hide something.

Wiski....if it is jetted for high altitude, it should run lean at low altitude. High altitude requires smaller jets and sometimes smaller pilot jets.

He is correct about dirt bikes from Colorado will generally not be titled unless someone specifically went through the conversion process to plate an off-road bike. They are sold with a manufacturers certificate of origin (MCO or MSO), but I have encountered plenty of people here in Colorado who claim to never get or lose somewhere along the way. All that is required for sale is a Bill of Sale. The seller should at least have a bill of sale from who he purchased it from and should be willing to provide a copy as proof his ownership.

I cant speak to anything about the Calif DMV plating/titling process.

Make sure you get a good price on it since it certainly sounds well used from your description.

checked vin at police department, came out clean. His story on why its running so rich does not check out then. Could this be due to carb issues? i'm perfectly find with rebuilding the carb. Checked online, the oem rebuild kit is only like $25. He mentioned how easily it will flood if you leave the gas on while stopped.

Moose Racing Carb Repair Kit - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/215/22358/20536/PITEM/Moose-Racing-Carb-Repair-Kit-2002-Suzuki-RM250-Parts.aspx

checked vin at police department, came out clean. His story on why its running so rich does not check out then. Could this be due to carb issues? i'm perfectly find with rebuilding the carb. Checked online, the oem rebuild kit is only like $25. He mentioned how easily it will flood if you leave the gas on while stopped.

Moose Racing Carb Repair Kit - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/215/22358/20536/PITEM/Moose-Racing-Carb-Repair-Kit-2002-Suzuki-RM250-Parts.aspx

could be that the guy is full of crap and the bike has sat forever and the carb is all gummed up.

What does he want for it? I know your goal is 1400

he put it up for 1700 but i know he'll take 1400. if the carb is "gummed up" what can i do for it? will a clean up and the repair kit do it?

okay thanks. I'm probably going to rebuild it this week just so i actually know how many hours are on it. that and a JD jetting kit.

With the '02 RM250's be sure to drop in a good forged piston (like a Wiseco) they do have a minor history of eating pistons ~ mine did.

See what Gorr has to say about them: http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

Amen!

Not a 250, but a 98 RM125 we still have... the OEM pistons were known for losing the ring-locating-pin. Ruined a cylinder of ours. Wiseco, no probs.