Sign in to follow this  

Cost of 125 yearly?

I've been riding all my life. went from a xr80 to a crf100 to a yz250f. I ride with my friends all the time, mostly woods. Long story short, had to sell my yz to get my truck. now that i have it i want another bike!! sick of ridin my dads recon.

Im currently saving up money to buy a bike. I really want a dirtbike, because i have much more fun on them in the woods and would like to start goin to tracks.. but i have alot of questions. please bear with me :bonk:

Im considering a yz125 or a cr125, doesn't matter which one i get. depends on what deal comes up first. since i will be paying for all of this bike including maintenace, i need to know how often to rebuild, everyone says different. This may be a stupid quesion, but to 125's have engine oil like a common 250f? i know they have tranny oil and you obliviously mix oil in the gas..

What is my cheapest bet on keeping my top end? replace rings monthly? or just do the top end complete rebild. Im very mechanically inclined, and pretty confident with a Clymer Manual i can do it myself. WHAT TOOLS ARE NEEDED?

What octane gas? What ratio, and what kind of oil? What about tranny oil?

thank you for your time, ride on!!

Im considering a yz125 or a cr125, doesn't matter which one i get. depends on what deal comes up first. since i will be paying for all of this bike including maintenace, i need to know how often to rebuild, everyone says different. This may be a stupid quesion, but to 125's have engine oil like a common 250f? i know they have tranny oil and you obliviously mix oil in the gas..

What is my cheapest bet on keeping my top end? replace rings monthly? or just do the top end complete rebild. Im very mechanically inclined, and pretty confident with a Clymer Manual i can do it myself. WHAT TOOLS ARE NEEDED?

What octane gas? What ratio, and what kind of oil? What about tranny oil?

1. Depending on riding, imo you can go a full season on bottom end, sometimes longer, and top if you are trail riding. Top end isn't very expensive so twice a season should be sufficient. For motocross more often for both.

2. No, no common engine oil. Gear oil in the transmission, pre-mix in the gas, that's it.

3.Cheapest bet for keeping top end is proper tuning. Jetting, clean air filter, good gas mixed precisely. (get a ratio rite for this)

4.Tools, for a top end basic tool set wrenches and sockets will do.

5. 93 octane, or whatever is premium in your area is fine. Unless you really build up the bike anything else is not useful, and could detract from performance. Just mix as you use it, that will always give you fresh gas.

I use Klotz Techniplate, good stuff. There are a lot of good pre-mix oils out there. Just make sure you use a specific oil and stick with it. Don't use anything but oil made specifically for dirt bike engines. I, and many others mix at 32-1. It is a good baseline to start, and you can tweak it from there and use what works best for your climate. My gearbox gets 80 weight non hypoid gear oil. I believe it is Bel-Ray gear saver.

Hope this helps, a properly tuned and maintaned 2 stroke is a simple and inexpensive bike. Enjoy it!

I use type-f tranny fluid in the gear box. It is cheap, and works great. Change it every 3-5 rides. Mostly depends on clutch use how soon. Use good premix at 32:1. Keep a clean air filter. Spend $35 on a compression tester. Change the top end when you drop 10psi. That could be months. I end up doing 2 top ends a year. I would imagine that is somewhere between 30-40hrs.

thank you guys. would rejetting be needed if i put on a fmf gold series fatty, and a silencer? what do you guys think about vforce reeds?

how old/big are you? if you a bigger guy, think of a 250. its a better over all bike. easyer to woods ride ect.

as for keeping a 2 stroke alive.the two biggest killers are dust/dirt and air leaks.

invest or make a 2 stroke leak down tester.

monthly top ends is a bit over the top. my cr250 has 80 hrs on it with an OEM piston. i ride woods, track, and pit ride. when i ride on the track my bike gets reved hard.same gose for pitriding, alot of long steep hill climbs.

every 80 hrs, i re-do a bunch of things on my bike and it uselly runs me about 700-100 beans. take to mind, i live in canada land were everything for motorsports is expensive.

i do a top end, 280$

i put in new main bearings and seals, 120$

chain and sprokets,130-150$

pivot bearings

ext

ext

ext

yada

yada

yada

a day of riding a 2 stroke i do not think is more expensive then riding a 4 stroke.

its just when re-build time rolls around. and if you know how to take care of 2 stroke it will last as long as any 4 stroke(ok, maybe not an xr...) out there.