1995 rmx 250 wont start

Yea taking the head off isnt a big deal I have rebuilt a couple two stroke myself and 4 strokes but I get kinda lost when dealing with something like this cause someone already did the work and i have no idea what they did or why. But thanks for your help man and Merry Christmas!

Could you please confirm that you are in fact using a head gasket? (ie #2)

2003_1.gif

And after you changed the stator and got it running how long did you run it? Reason being is that your bike could be majorily flooded and needs to be ridden for a good while (half hour or more) to really clear out.

HOLD THE PHONE!!

fire0501 I've got "good news" and I've got "bad news".

The bad news: Your RMX has the wrong engine.

The good news: Your engine is actually a generation newer, it's a '96 to 2000 RM250 engine.

This explains why your exhaust is "sort of" butchered. It's half RM (the front half) and half RMX (the stinger and muffler). I have one other question but could you post a picture of the left side before I ask?

HOLD THE PHONE!!

fire0501 I've got "good news" and I've got "bad news".

The bad news: Your RMX has the wrong engine.

The good news: Your engine is actually a generation newer, it's a '96 to 2000 RM250 engine.

This explains why your exhaust is "sort of" butchered. It's half RM (the front half) and half RMX (the stinger and muffler). I have one other question but could you post a picture of the left side before I ask?

rofl, if you read the posts we got this one covered already. I didn't realize it at first either.. People do strange things to bikes :bonk:

Yes its the 96-00 Which I cant seem to find a downloadable manual for I usually purchase them right offline but every so often I run into the ones I cant.

I wouldnt doubt that the engine is flooded but I literally kicked this thing over hundreds of times before I figured out the stator was bad When I fist started it, It seemed to run good but it seemed to me that the smoke thick white smoke from the exhaust got worse as it warmed up. It seems like it is ok at low end throttle but anything past half is just boggy and super smoke stack

Nighthawk could you tell me how to drain the coolant from this engine as it looks like the water pump is an internal one. I believe I need to drain the gear oil and take off the rh side cover and then drain the coolant? is this correct?

Yes its the 96-00 Which I cant seem to find a downloadable manual for I usually purchase them right offline but every so often I run into the ones I cant.

I wouldnt doubt that the engine is flooded but I literally kicked this thing over hundreds of times before I figured out the stator was bad When I fist started it, It seemed to run good but it seemed to me that the smoke thick white smoke from the exhaust got worse as it warmed up. It seems like it is ok at low end throttle but anything past half is just boggy and super smoke stack

Nighthawk could you tell me how to drain the coolant from this engine as it looks like the water pump is an internal one. I believe I need to drain the gear oil and take off the rh side cover and then drain the coolant? is this correct?

oil drain bolt is bottom center on the crankcase, coolant drain bolt is on the bottom near the front of the crankcase, should be basically right behind the pipe

rofl, if you read the posts we got this one covered already. I didn't realize it at first either.. People do strange things to bikes :bonk:

Thanks!

I seldom read all of the posts in a thread ~ not everyone brings value to the thread. And after a couple pages I normally just go away.

Lot's of white smoke if it's comming from the coolant system should show up if it's "using" coolant and it's normally a brighter white. A bad crank seal would produce a heavy white smoke that really hangs in the air.

Thanks for the info nighthawk

zig06, The smoke is thick white smoke and it def hangs around a little while I didnt notice it was spooging at first until i put my hand behind the exhaust sticky and oily and my camaro windshield was covered in tiny little dots of black oil

Ok I think i found the problem as far as the smoking goes. herre are some pics it looks like the guy who rebuilt this put the crank seal in backwards. I am almost sure and will check the manual again but it says to install with the open spring side outwards and also to pack it with grease. This is correct right? Or did i tear this perfectly good crank seal out for nothin.. lol

Question that pic with the gold ring in front of the seal is that supposed to be there because I dont see it in the manual and when i look at the cheap cycle parts exploded view of the 96 rm 250 it doesnt even show one. the one i pulled out was a pivot works seal I cant even find a pivot works crank seal online and that brass piece is also pivot works and has the same number as the seal CRSE-035

Crankseal1.jpg

Pic Below is crank seal installed backwards guess thats where the smoke is coming from

Crankseal2.jpg

EDIT: I found out where that brass ring is supposed to go and its supposed to be installed on the side of the seal that is supposed to be facing out when it is in the correct position.

Edited by fire0501

I installed the crank seal and put everything back together and wham! Runs excellent minimal smoke from what is left over in the crank area and exhaust I rung out the packing and know i need to purchase another one but im gonna wait till i get it warm enough for long enough to burn the excess off first. It needs some slight carb tuning which i will attempt this weekend since its supposed to be about 45 and sunny. Thanks zig06, nighthawk and argclh6670 for your help!