Sign in to follow this  

How much should I ask for my cr 250?

$15-19 sounds perfect. You know there is an actual kelly blue book for dirt bikes! Just google that and it will pop up.

are you going to sell that piece as is? or are you gonna wash it first and change the tires, chain?

Yup, bald back tire and a rusty chain. First two red flags. And that isnt the original front fender. Looks like one off of a 97-99. Wonder what else is wrong with it. $800 tops cause it needs work.

Yep that definitely is a 97-99 front fender. Looks exactly like my 98's black one.

I get it that a bald rear tire is a "red flag" in the maintenance department, but is there another reason it's a red flag? I ask because I've heard that riding a 2 stroke on the pavement is a nono because it hurts the motor. Not really sure what to believe there. However, I would be more concerned with the motor, suspension, and chassis of a bike than something like the chain and or tires...I keep my 98 in primo condition, but honestly, anyone who actively rides knows that these things get beat up. It's all about how much care the owner realistically takes.

Yep that definitely is a 97-99 front fender. Looks exactly like my 98's black one.

I get it that a bald rear tire is a "red flag" in the maintenance department, but is there another reason it's a red flag? I ask because I've heard that riding a 2 stroke on the pavement is a nono because it hurts the motor. Not really sure what to believe there. However, I would be more concerned with the motor, suspension, and chassis of a bike than something like the chain and or tires...I keep my 98 in primo condition, but honestly, anyone who actively rides knows that these things get beat up. It's all about how much care the owner realistically takes.

Your right things get beat up on these bikes. I can overlook a bald tire on a used bike im considering buying. But when I see a rusty chain that has obviously been neglected I start to wonder what else has been neglected that you cant see.

Your right things get beat up on these bikes. I can overlook a bald tire on a used bike im considering buying. But when I see a rusty chain that has obviously been neglected I start to wonder what else has been neglected that you cant see.

I agree completely. Mainly though, need to make sure that motor and tranny run well. Not only that, plan on replacing and re-greasing every single bearing in the bike a long with a thousand other things, but that's just the way I do it.

I used to own my 98 cr250 4 years ago. I did everything to it and I'm extremely maintenance savvy, but anyway I just bought it back all by the grace of the speed gods. When I got it back, it still had the same air filter with oil, along with same spark plug, and chain that I had installed on it 4 years prior!!!! Anyway, the bike is almost done with it's full restoration but just plan on doing these things as 99% of people don't really take care of their machine.

Yepp! I am lucky it sat 99% of the time! The first fellow wrecked it and the second guy fixed it and rode it 1 time. They were both tools. You know the type that buys it just to say they have it and go sit on it in the garage and make the noises...lol

This is a great thread. My bros give me a lot of shit because I am a maintenance freak. But when I hear a sound or get a vibe from my bike, I can identify and fix quickly. Got to be in tune with your machine.

This is a great thread. My bros give me a lot of shit because I am a maintenance freak. But when I hear a sound or get a vibe from my bike, I can identify and fix quickly. Got to be in tune with your machine.

Tell me about it. It's a mega headache getting back into the sport with a 13 year old bike. I know most people would just ride it because it runs well. Not me. Full bearing replace and re-pack and I mean everything and a wiseco pro lite top end this week, reeds, silencer packing, exhaust o-rings and little rubber grommets, but I did also order that full white UFO plastics kit (drool) That will be my favorite. What's tough is getting the bike perfect within a month or so, AND buying all of the gear and extras most people accumulate over the years...Thank god it's christmas!

In all seriousness it needs a complete detail and new tires before putting it up for sale....get a lot more $ if you but some elbow grease in....