'12 kx 450 or '10,'11

I'm looking at a few different kx450's,both are new. 2010 for 5,300 or an '11 for 6,800. Is the '10 just as good as the '11? I really don't want to pay 8K+ for a '12. Do you guys feel the '11 will work just as good as a '12 for a vet A rider?

I'm also considering a '12 ktm 250sx or a '11 ktm 450sxf, I just can't seem to make up my mind. Has anyone here tried the ktm? If so can you give me an honest comparison to the kx450.

I bought a 2010 kx450f and love it, I believe the only difference is the 2011 has softer suspension but the 2010 has a lot more snap in power, if I were you I would go with the 2010 cause you will most likely get the suspension revaled anyways.

I agree with the other two guys. The 10 is known to be the snappiest, and had the highest power output until the 12 came along. You might not notice a HP or two, but you definitely notice the instant response of the 10. It's vicious, and I love mine.

The '10 and '11 are pretty much the same. The big changes came in '10 with the new boxed piston design. If you get the suspension done it's a moot point. You can have the ECU remapped to mellow out the hit. The '12 motor is identical. The only major difference is the frame, which frankly isn't significant, but maybe noticeable to an A rider. I assume the $6800 for the '11 is an out-the-door price? That seems steep for a base price. They're just shy of $6k here in California.

The KTM 250SX is in a completely different category. I can't speak to the 450. Look up the bike tests in the major magazines. Those will give you a pretty good idea how different the KTM is.

I have an '11 and absolutely love it. Best bike I've ever owned. I probably would have bought a '10 over the '11 for that price. You're better off putting the extra money into the suspension. You'll love the EFI.

I love my '12 KX450. Favorite feature aside from the power is the stock adjust-ability.

With that said, I have no experience on any other bikes you listed. I will say it's a MAJOR step over all the 5 different 06+ YZ-Fs I had including a 450. They might have the edge on the KX handling stock for stock, but this bike will dig the YZ a rutted grave if you hammer the throttle enough.

Mxboy, do you race your 250sx at BD,etown or anyother local tracks? If so, do you feel as competative as your 450. I'm going to start racing this year after quite a few years off(vet A). I'm really comfortable on a 450 but am tired of the weight and dealing with a valve train so a 2stk is looking very tempting.

Are you happy with the quality of your 250sx's.

As far as the KX's go, I think it's 75% rider 25% bike. If you are fast on the 2010 you will be fast on the 2012. I have not ridden the newer KX's but all my buddies that have them really like them.

As far as KTM goes, I have owned and worked on several KTM's and several KX's and I believe the KTM is a better quality bike. I also think the late model KTM's turn extremely well. Motor wise both makes have great power. You will pay a little more for the KTM but you get more with that money. If I were in the market for a new(er) bike right now I would wait for the 2013 KTM 450SX. It's going to be at least 6 lbs lighter than the current version, has the best brakes, turns perfectly, has e-start, has no tool air filter change, and to top it off, it looks sweet. If you are going to get the suspension done anyway, it doesn't matter which bike you get. If you don't get teh suspension done, I like the feel of the stock KX suspension better, but only slightly better. The current KTM's, in my opinion are simply fantastic bikes. I just sold a KTM 250SX to get my KX450 and there are a lot of thing I miss about the KTM.