Sign in to follow this  

Your opinion of a 1999 CR250

In time for Xmas! I just bought a 97 that was garuanteed to be ready to ride and need nothing, and it needs rear wheel bearings and had lots of other suspect things like low antifreeze, loose bolts everywhere, front brakes sticking. Figured this bike was in better shape by how the seller described all the work done. Look for a bike that is really clean.

Yes you have got to suspect that a lot of things will need replacing. You need to also know what to look for. You need to go into it being prepared to sink some $ in the bike if you want it cherry. Every a-hole seems to have a "fresh" top end once it comes time to sell the bike, don't they?

I myself own a 98' cr250 that is part of that group 97-99 cr250's and I freaking LOVE this year range bike. This is right when they did the new aluminum frame. Prior to this (96) they were making the steel framed bikes. A lot of guys like the steel frame, but nowadays you don't NOT make a aluminum frame MX bike. These things are beasts man! Learn what all to look and hear for and you should be good. $1000 isn't bad but I'd try 8-900...I paid $900 for my bike that I previously owned 4 years ago and came across all because the speed gods allowed it.

DO IT.

I bought a cheap 99 and love it. That said I have done all the bearings (wheels, swingarm, linkage, engine) and overhauled, revalved and re-sprung the suspension front and rear. Rebuilt the transmission and new RH engine case and cylinder... Mine's pretty much a new bike but rides awesome and is definitely more than equal to my fairly limited MX ability.

Thing is even if you bought a bike that was a couple of years old you could end up doing exactly the same amount of work to get it up to standard but your initial outlay would be a lot more. I would say that if it starts and runs strong and the gearbox feels ok then you can't go too far wrong.

but nowadays you don't NOT make a aluminum frame MX bike

Tell that to KTM mate - nothing wrong with a steel frame.

I bought a cheap 99 and love it. That said I have done all the bearings (wheels, swingarm, linkage, engine) and overhauled, revalved and re-sprung the suspension front and rear. Rebuilt the transmission and new RH engine case and cylinder... Mine's pretty much a new bike but rides awesome and is definitely more than equal to my fairly limited MX ability.

Thing is even if you bought a bike that was a couple of years old you could end up doing exactly the same amount of work to get it up to standard but your initial outlay would be a lot more. I would say that if it starts and runs strong and the gearbox feels ok then you can't go too far wrong.

Tell that to KTM mate - nothing wrong with a steel frame.

Oh lord, don't get me started on KTM. Point taken though. I totally agree with literally everything else you said. You could buy a 05' cr250 that's in worse off shape than a 89', just depends on the owner. Check the obvious things. Try to get it for under $1000 though! Remember every penny you talk him down = more $ for parts that you will need/want.

Thanks guys I have a dollar amount set in my head im not going over so if its a good bike and they wont go to what I want then I will walk there are a lot of people needing money someone will make me a good deal..

the 99's were very solid bikes.im a big fan of the first gen frames( not many were) but its a very roomy chasis. the motor wont need much if its in good running order. i would look at the piston if you do get it, as the stock forged piston likes to develop a crack on the intake skirt if the rings are past their prime. susp. set will be critical on the bike, as with any other bike.a lot of the "too stiff" complaints about the bike came from overly soft springs allowing it to ride lower in a harsher part of the stroke.stiffer springs will actually soften up the stock susp.

graphics might be tough to come by, but you could always buy current graphics and trim them to fit. i would say go for it.

Edited by kuritaro9

the 99's were very solid bikes.im a big fan of the forst gen frames( not many were) but its a very roomy chasis. the motor wont need much if its in good running order. i would look at the piston if you do get it, as the stock forged piston likes to develop a crack on the intake skirt if the rings are past their prime. susp. set will be critical on the bike, as with any other bike.a lot of the "too stiff" complaints about the bike came from overly soft springs allowing it to ride lower in a harsher part of the stroke.stiffer springs will actually soften up the stock susp.

graphics might be tough to come by, but you could always buy current graphics and trim them to fit. i would say go for it.

Did you mean the stock cast piston develops a crack?

i have a 99 cr250 and its great. awesome power and reliable. and graphics arent that hard to find. search for graphics on ebay and theres a company that makes new graphics like the geico powersports graphics for the 99 cr250

kuritaro's not an idiot. im sure he had the idea of replacing the cast piston with a forged unit, and the word forged accidentally found its way into the post. its true that the stock cast piston develops cracks on the intake side. i replaced my top end after i think 2 trips on my bike, and sure enough, the crack was pretty large and im sure it was ready to blow soon

Well outta the blue I found a 2000 KX 250 it suppoibly has a new top end, it has new spockets and chain looks pretty clean, just does not start since they put the top end on. I got it for $525.. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. I am still going to go see if I can get the 1999 CR 250 for a good price mabey $700.

Did you mean the stock cast piston develops a crack?

yep, thats what i meant...it was late.:bonk:

Hmmm...yes definitely still buy the 99 if you can.

On the KX, it's going to suck if you have to tear that motor right back down over something stupid, but it could be something as simple as the float level, pilot jet clogged, or the like, but I've found that's hardly ever the case. At least not for ME.

Any used bike will need some maintenance. It's just a fact.

And it's true, people selling these things always talk them up big, like they need nothing.

Total B.S. They always need something.

You just PLAN on doing some work to it, and factor that in to the total price.

I got my 2005 CR250R for $1,400.

Over the past 6 months, I put about $1,000 into it.

It's seriously sweet now, and I can honestly say it needs NOTHING.

Total money spent wasn't bad at all, to have a cherry machine.

( And I ain't trying to sell it! )

I planned on spending $2,500 to $3,000. So it worked out great.

This one is a keeper, and I am keeping it.

I thought about getting a new Yamaha YZ250 2t.

But them things are over $7,000.... and my CR250 is plenty good for my needs, at less than HALF the cost!

Hard to justify buying a new one.

( Not to mention, can't even buy a new Honda 2-stroke, unless you wanna go with Service Honda and pay through the teeth for one. )

The new YZ250's are nice, and the new KTM 2t's are also nice.

But you will shell out the big bucks for one of those.

:bonk:

• Like 1

any used bike will need some maintenance. It's just a fact.

And it's true, people selling these things always talk them up big, like they need nothing.

Total b.s. They always need something.

You just plan on doing some work to it, and factor that in to the total price.

I got my 2005 cr250r for $1,400.

Over the past 6 months, i put about $1,000 into it.

It's seriously sweet now, and i can honestly say it needs nothing.

Total money spent wasn't bad at all, to have a cherry machine.

( and i ain't trying to sell it! )

i planned on spending $2,500 to $3,000. So it worked out great.

This one is a keeper, and i am keeping it.

I thought about getting a new yamaha yz250 2t.

But them things are over $7,000.... And my cr250 is plenty good for my needs, at less than half the cost!

Hard to justify buying a new one.

( not to mention, can't even buy a new honda 2-stroke, unless you wanna go with service honda and pay through the teeth for one. )

the new yz250's are nice, and the new ktm 2t's are also nice.

But you will shell out the big bucks for one of those.

:bonk:

i'd take a cr250 over a yz any day

I love those bikes. The magazines got nit picky, but being critical is their job. Condition is everything. They all sell for about a grand, even up to the 2001 Yamaha YZ250's, which were rated higher. Honda has unbeatable build quality, though.

Not every seller is a scam artist. If I say a bike needs nothing, then it is museum quality.

It would be unrealistic to buy a used bike and not plan on having to frshen something up, though.