Sign in to follow this  

Hot start cable problems

So I got new ASV levers for my 06' yzf and put them on today. all was going really well until i got to the hot start cable. the problem is that I cant get enough slack in the cable to hook it around the lever on the perch. Any help on what the problem might be or what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated

I assume you removed the pivot bolt from the lever first? There should be a slack adjuster in the cable.

The hot start lever has that? its the stock cable and it doesnt have any adjuster on it

The hot start lever has that? its the stock cable and it doesnt have any adjuster on it

Hmmmm.....just looked at my '06 YZ and my wifes WR, they both got 'em.

It's the bulged spot about 3 inches from the end of the cable. Slide the rubber boot and there is a 8mm jam-nut and a 8mm hex sleeve. That's your adjuster.

mines doesn't have that. but after messing around with it a little more I think the plunger that goes into the carb is stuck in there. could that be it?

mines doesn't have that. but after messing around with it a little more I think the plunger that goes into the carb is stuck in there. could that be it?

Yes. That's a common problem. You have some corrosion in the carb hanging up the plunger. Pull the plunger cap off and spray some PB Blaster or WD40 on top of the plunger and let it sit overnight. Try working it out with a small screwdriver and a pair of small needle nose pliers.

When you get it apart, clean up the bore and plunger, and use some silicone grease on it when you put it back together.

Make sure when you wash your bike that you don't get high pressure water too close to the carb.

ok thanks ill try that today. Will I need to take apart and clean the carb after WD-40 goes in there or is that safe?

ok thanks ill try that today. Will I need to take apart and clean the carb after WD-40 goes in there or is that safe?

Nah, WD40's not gonna hurt anything.