Sign in to follow this  

Merry christmas....

So the girlfriend had mentioned a few months back she wanted to try dirt biking so I started looking and found a project for $500 and figured why not. Here she is when I bought her....

image-14.jpg

Not bad right?.....from a distance!

Background is that the lady I bought it from said her ex boyfriend after the breakup went after it with a hatchet....

image-15.jpg

The ugly...

image-21.jpg

image-20.jpg

image-19.jpg

image-18.jpg

image-22.jpg

Plans are to make a nice looking and good running street legal crf 230f and then do some performance upgrades. We live at the base of the mountains and the only way to ride is a true dual sport bike so here goes....

Edited by teenycar

So I love projects as anyone who knows me can verify. So first things first is strip her down and strip the paint.....

image-23.jpg

image-24.jpg

Coming back together....

image-25.jpg

Went with all white plastics from maier mfg.

image-26.jpg

More tomorrow....

Still need to find a muffler

Looks GREAT with the black frame and white plastics! I'd like to re-do mine like that sometime.

I'd like to go at the guy with a hatchet haha. Willing to bet the 230 would hold up better than he would :bonk:

I'd offer my exhaust, but it's in about the same condition as the one already on that bike. I'm also in search of an exhaust, or someone who can repair mine for mega cheap haha.

OHhhh hail naw...What a douche! So was this lady the owner of it and the ex bf wanted to bash her bike after she dumped him? Shouldn't this be the other way around? Either way, It appears it has fallen into good hands which is a big +1!

Guess that is the story and the bike did have the marks to back it up! Hahahaha. TIG welded the frame marks and polished it all out. When I do a big bore kit it will get a new cylinder head. Other than that everything else was replaced. Plastics, fork seal kit, rear tail light, and hydraulic brake switch from crf only came to 410 bucks. New battery, seal savers, grips, fork oil, chain, battery tender quick disconnect, headlight/turn/horn switch came to just under 200 bucks. New airbox lid, carb, intake, header pipe came to just under 200. Upgraded stator, 2011 ktm headlight, trailtech vapor computer and turn signals 400 bucks. Hoping to have about 2k into it all said and done. Not bad for a street legal 230 with a lot of new parts.

No, I can see that. That's why I said it's in good hands. Can you imagine if that ex-bf saw it after you're done...He probably literally wouldn't believe it was the same bike. "No...but iii...." lol!!

Hahahaha told the previous owner I'd send her a picture of it once finished. When I loaded it up she had tears in her eyes. She no doubt had a lot of good times on the bike but didn't have the ability to fix it. I told her I'd give it a good home and bring it back to life for someone else to enjoy.

wow....what kind of a man takes his emotions out on a bike like that?!?!? Good Luck man!!

The ex bf was KING DOUCHER for sure, and not a real man imho.

Looks like you are off to a great start, and honestly, even if you get to $3k, imo, thats still way worth it, cause you will basically have a brand new kick ass street legal bike.

so i say go big with this one, and hook it up. if $ is available of course.

Well here she is waiting for the last bits to arrive. Hopefully the exhaust will be here later in the week. Ordered a new coil and wire that should be here wed. And the ktm headlight will someday show up if the folks at ktm parts ever decide to get off their lazy butt and ship it! Came out pretty nice I think. Hopefully have it running Friday and finish off the lights for registering it

image-27.jpg

image-28.jpg

looks slick! I was going to do my motor and frame black as well. I was going to powdercoat the frame, but what did you use for the motor?

Sand blasted and painted with high temp paint. Wasn't sure if I was gunna like the white side cases but it is a nice detail so I may pull them and sand blast them again and get them powder coated to hold up better

wont the high temp paint keep the heat in? I have been wondering about it. you literally did what I was going to do to my bike

Naw, heat is dispersed based on surface area and air blowing past that surface. The paint will heat up just like the natural aluminum.

My only fear would be that even though you have high temp white paint on the side cases that it will start to turn yellow as it gets hotter. Cause I know that my brother was going to do that so his LS6 intake on his Trans Am and people said it turns yellow no matter what degree paint you use.

Interesting thoughts. I'll keep you posted on how it stands up. Wonder if the powder coating will hold up better.