Sign in to follow this  

Carb or porting?

Hi all, got a quick question. I've got an '04 cr125 and I'm slowly getting the motor up to speed. The bike has reeds, pipe and silencer, I've done the airbox mod (with a lot of success) and the newer airboot is in the mail. I'm happy with everything else on the bike, so I'm going to invest a bit in the motor.

So here's my question: A PWK airstriker with JD jets is $250. So is porting, polishing, and head mods from Eric Gorr. Which would you do first?

I like the powerband like it is, and both of these mods are mid/top so it's a wash here. The one caveat is that I don't want to have to run race gas, so the Eric Gorr mods wouldn't include a big bump in compression, just some standard porting and head work. Both will come in the next year, but I'm just curious what people would say is the "better" mod.

sorry this doesn't answer your question but when you say you did an air box mod what did you actually do? this has me quite interested, btw i have an 05 cr250

I would go for the Gorr mods first, over the carb.

Although i run a PWK on my CR134, its didnt cost me $250. With the nature of these bikes, being ridden with the throttle wide open most of the time, you dont need the control that the PWK offers over the TMX like on the 250.

2-stroker96........the airbox mod, as i understand, (he may have done something else) is to allow more air to enter into it, either by enlarging the holes in the side panels, or putting some 1 inch holes in the airbox sides, or both.

Yes, I drilled 7 1/2 inch holes in each side of the airbox to let it breath better.

6552258829_402f75bb3e_z.jpg

1221111832 by jasong4, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this would also apply to the 250's but it did a lot to wake up the 125. It felt like the difference between a clean air filter and one caked in mud.

I used the UNI air intake inserts with the little filters. They are 1" inserts. Put 3 on each side, and they did make a difference on my kids 134 and his 125. To answer the OP. the TMX isn't as bad as many think. A little finicky, but I don't have issues. Do the port work. It really wakes the bike up.