Sign in to follow this  

hi all

so i just bought a new to me 1990 dr350s with 10,000 miles on her kid i bought it off couldn't get it running for more than a few seconds .. i am in the process of tearing her down and going to go trough everything with a fine tooth comp as well as making sure the motor is in good running order.

as i brought her home

photobucket-1292-1323492362132.jpg?t=1323492363

SAM_3410.jpg

SAM_3411.jpg

then what it looks like after a 1 hour tear down

photobucket-5126-1324666555219.jpg?t=1324666556

photobucket-3992-1324666571236.jpg?t=1324666572

wish me luck :smirk:

and if ya got any good ideas/suggestions let me know :bonk:

im also on advrider in the dr350 thread

Edited by timsr

holly cow you really took her appart! well at least this way you know everything will be in working order. i really like the look of that bike! is that an oversized tank?

any details on the purchase?

Yes is a clark tank. I will be buying the acribis tank as I like them better and had one on my xr600r that I used to have plus dual petcocks are awesome. .. got it home went to drain oil and wells there was none except a cup in the motor and well the tank was hooked up wrong to the carbon and the carb is gunked full of old nasty crappy dirty fuel..

Tomorrow after christmas my two stepkids are gone to there real dads for two weeks I will be tearing that motor apart and checking everything aswell as making its all good inhere and within specks... I suspect it will take me about one hour maybe two hours to tear apart the motor...

Im adhd so I super focus and get shit done but im also odd so I member where everything goes so I don't need to be super orginised like most people lol..

Wish me luck I hope I can get this done in the time slotted cause once the kids come back my time will be limited to when there in school lol

Edited by timsr

well i got bored for 5 min and i needed a break from wrapping presents so i went to go see what it looks like inside .. pulled the spark plug and looked inside .. the piston is metal grey not dark black and burnt so that a good thing ???right???

here is the cam not bad for 10,000 miles

SAM_3430.jpg

SAM_3431.jpg

here is where the rockers are looks good .. i notice a slight metal discoloration on where the rockers follow the cam but it is expected .. and its not like all the other pics i have seen of peoples followers where they have groves ect.

SAM_3425.jpg

SAM_3426.jpg

SAM_3427.jpg

i did notice on the valve cover that there was a defect" a broken piece that was held together with rtv .. i think ill take this to my welder and have him fix it right quick un less i can find another one for cheep

SAM_3429.jpg

SAM_3428.jpg

full tear down will be next week say Tuesday

Edited by timsr

I love these bikes. I have a 98 thats been alot of fun. Took mine down to the frame this last winter to paint. Good Luck.:bonk:

Dude! You rock!!

One day I might have the guts to tear down/rebuild my bike (exact same as yours).

The cam bearings look good. I've seen more than one that has serious scoring.

update . i got bored with video games so in two hours i got this far

there was some metal flakes when i puled the oil filter and some areas in the motor with shavings al storred in corners soim thinging that it was from normal wear and tear aswell as the clutch .. as for the pistion it had all this varnish crap all over it as you can see in the pics and so did the motor it was on every casket so i assume it was some type of sealant crap .. also on the near last pics you can see orange rtv all over one of the bearings .. as soon as i saew this i was like what the fook was this 17 year old thinking ..i am concerned about the pistion not having and wear on it and the head being black . so maybe this hs already been rebuilt?????????????????? to i guess its time to take some measurments but maybe ill just to do the 444 kit :bonk:

SAM_3664.jpg

SAM_3665.jpg

SAM_3666.jpg

SAM_3667.jpg

SAM_3668.jpg

SAM_3669.jpg

SAM_3670.jpg

SAM_3671.jpg

metal flakes in the oil

SAM_3673.jpg

SAM_3674.jpg

the end result my work mess lol organized huh lol

SAM_3677.jpg

SAM_3679.jpg

SAM_3680.jpg

SAM_3682.jpg

the rtv bearing

SAM_3683.jpg

SAM_3685.jpg

SAM_3686.jpg

other side

SAM_3687.jpg

SAM_3688.jpg

SAM_3690.jpg

SPLIT THE CASE!!!!!!!!

i dont know how or why or even what the fook this was or is or why it was done like that but what the fook

who puts rtv on a bearing inside a case with a wire spring wraped arount the bearing for space removal

this

photobucket-3325-1325305610147.jpg?t=1325305611

photobucket-3949-1325305470459.jpg?t=1325305471

photobucket-2629-1325305541765.jpg?t=1325305543

came from here

photobucket-3110-1325305573395.jpg?t=1325305575

photobucket-2534-1325305421409.jpg?t=1325305422

to top it off there is two areas on the part where the case is sealed in half where someone took a screwdriver to split the cases and didn't take there time as its dented a bit ... nothing that sealing correctly and carefully wont fix but seriously there is one thing i have learnt in life and that is is something that's designed to come apart is not coming apart there is a reason why there is no need to be hard on it and bend/break something

fook it im selling it all .. spend about $800 to get this bike all togeather or just buy a running bike for $1000 .. im not to happy that the vin tag is missing and there is no vin stamps on the bike anywhere

Wow, talk about a ghetto bike! That thing is a mess. It's a good thing you gave it a complete tear down first so you know just how many problems there were with this bike. It could make a great project for someone who has a passion in restoring screwed up old bikes but unless it's something you get enjoyment out of I think I'd cut my losses and spend my time saving for a decent bike:ride:

Yeah that's what I was thinking .. selling it off via parting it out