Sign in to follow this  

Need a fuel petcock XR 400 (1998)

Hi guys,

I need a fuel petcock for my 1998 XR400R - I only found one on ebay and unfortunately does not ship to my country (Malta - EU) - Are there any other compatible petcocks so I can widen my search on ebay?

Worst case I have to order from agent..but I want to save some bucks.

Thanks!

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1998-honda-xr400r/o/m3082#sch103321 Not sure if they ship to your location.

It seems my link doesn't get you all the way to the schematic I tried to post. After clicking on my link, click on the "fuel & air" tab, then "fuel tank" and it is #1 in that schematic.

Edited by alarmin
Link wasn't complete

Worst case I have to order from agent..but I want to save some bucks.

Since you're looking to buy a replacement, you have nothing to lose by trying to rebuild the one you have. It's been done.

Drill the 2 rivets out of it that hold it together. Pull it apart and see what needs to be replaced. If it's just a rubber gasket that's becoming worn so the petcock isn't operating right, you can make a new one.

http://www.hawkworks.net/tips/leaky-petcock/

Edited by Trailryder42

Thanks guys I will check your posts at the moment i am writing this - just need to tell you that my problem was related to my other thread that the petcock was not delivering fuel in the ON position..Now seems to have also intermittent problems with the RES position as well.

I took it apart and the filter looks clean. I can also blew through the valve and feel the air from the filter. I dunno why fuel is not coming out continuously - vacuum?

Maybe before drilling the rivets, I wait for another informative insight :bonk:

PS: I am doing the tests without the fuel cap. This should be simple physics!

I took it apart and the filter looks clean. I can also blew through the valve and feel the air from the filter. I dunno why fuel is not coming out continuously - vacuum?

If your tank cap isn't venting, a vacuum CAN be drawn on the tank as the carb uses fuel, which once it overcomes gravity feed, the carb starves.

But it doesn't sound like you're able to run the bike long enough for that to happen, even if the gas cap did have a problem.

You're not running one of those stubby gas cap vent valve things are you? I've had nothing but problems from those. I've gone back to using just a piece of fuel line from the cap, stuffing the other end down the steering tube.

Make sure the carb vent lines are clear, not kinked, no mud or bugs in them.

I agree with TR42. You would need to run quite a bit longer than 30 seconds for the tank to pull a vacuum.

However, I've seen these little rubber gaskets inside the petcock shred into lots of little pieces causing similar problems. Mine had let little shards of rubber get stuck in my float needle. Thats when I rebuilt mine.

Perc

PS: I am doing the tests without the fuel cap. This should be simple physics!

Should be simple to diagnose. If you are sure fuel is not flowing thru the petcock and the cap is off then it has to be the petcock (it's probably all gummed up inside). If you're not positive it's the petcock, then I would start at the top and work my way down, the cap, petcock, fuel line, filter, etc. You want to make sure that fuel is reaching the carb, then you can make sure the floats or the float needle isn't the issue.

I think there is a pretty good chance that most petcocks are identical. You can probably grab just about any bike in a junkyard and it'll fit.

This is purely speculation, however, but I'm doubting the bike manufacturers would spend the dough to re-tool for something like a tank petcock pretty much ever. Anyone ever try transplanting petcocks?

JayC

im 100% it's the petcock. the fuel filter is not dirty. I guess when I get another (new/used) petcock, I dismount the current one and update the thread.

I think there is a pretty good chance that most petcocks are identical. You can probably grab just about any bike in a junkyard and it'll fit.

This is purely speculation, however, but I'm doubting the bike manufacturers would spend the dough to re-tool for something like a tank petcock pretty much ever. Anyone ever try transplanting petcocks?

JayC

Yeah, basically just the mount bolt pattern and o-ring seal compatibility would be the concerns.

I just realized the petcock on the XR4 I just bought is leaking internally, or rather all over the floor when the tank is off the bike.

Thanks for the links guys :bonk: