Sign in to follow this  

runs better with choke

i have a 99 scorpa 280 and it starts right up but does not idle good and sounds a ittle dull runs better with choke its around 40 degrees any ideas?

Pilot/idle jet is clogged. Cut a 6 inch piece of speaker wire, the stranded kind. Unravel the strands. Take one strand and wrap it around your finger to make a large spring looking thing. Thread that thru the pilot jet when you have it out of the carb. Dont use anything thats liable to enlargen the pilot jet hole.

I would suggest doing a full carb service or have a shop do it if you are not comfortable with taking it apart. If there was gas bad enough to clog the pilot jet then it could have clogged other parts of the carb as well

could not see light through jet thanks, my gas looks bad just got bike yesterday need to get new high octane
I would suggest doing a full carb service or have a shop do it if you are not comfortable with taking it apart. If there was gas bad enough to clog the pilot jet then it could have clogged other parts of the carb as well

Looks like he got the idle jet out and cleaned. The idle jet is always the first thing to get clogged when a bike sits too much. if the bike is running and the choke affects the running, then neither the main jet of enrich circuit are clogged. 80% of all the carb cleans I do are the idle jet. I laughed at another thread where someone said to replace the idle jet rather than clean it.