Sign in to follow this  

Powerband and "hit" is all a matter of perspective...

My son weighs about 80 lbs and rides a small wheel Honda CR 85 (classic piston port simple smoker motor), and he is getting very fast. Although he's far to small to move to a 125, I let him ride my RM 125 on some easy trails last weekend. He came away impressed with the stability across rocks, roots, and holes (big wheels and full-size chassis no doubt!), but found the motor "boring"! He doesn't have the motorcycle vocabulary that adults riders do, but when I questioned him further, it was clear that he was looking for the "hit" his 85 has! My guess is he will be unimpressed with 4 strokes...

I've got a '11 KX450 and weigh about 235lbs and have to stay up on the tank just to stay on. I don't think he will get bored with a 4st if he gets the right one.

He needs to learn that riding the 'hit' is very difficult to do. A lot of inexperienced riders love that push of power but the truth is, if they are feeling it, they are riding too slow. They should be on top of it all the time, managing it with the trans.

he's obviously a fearless little guy! Maybe the extra weight and grown-up chassis and suspension just makes it feel tamer. Remember too that he's a lot further off the ground, which creates an illusion of less speed.

Or maybe you're going to have to budget for some engine work when you buy him a 125! :bonk:

That 2-stroke hit is very addictive...

Find someone with a good running 250 2T who will let him try a short ride. I'm sure he will find that a little less "boring".:bonk:

I've let him ride my 250 smoker in open fields and such. He knows what a 250 smoker can do!

I couldn't agree more. I just got back my previously owned 98 cr250...He will grow into it and likely be really good come time to saddle a 250 2t. Anyway, my buddy who is a father has a son who rides a cr85 that they're about to send the motor off and make it a big wheel, but if you think about it the power to weight ratio from the 85 to a 125 is very little power gain compared to weight. This is definitely why he's not impressed along with a million other factors. My buddies son is 13 and still kicking ass on the 85 which is about to be bored up. He's riding his dad's crf250 for the mean time. It bores him LOL I love that people still love and believe in the 2t as much as me! Get us some footage of your boy sometime!