Sign in to follow this  

1974/1975 yamaha fork swaps

on a 74 YZ125 the hot upgrade for vintage racing seems to be running 74 YZ250/360 or 75 YZ250 or mx250/400 front ends. they have the larger diameter forks, and assuming heavier springs. ive been looking around for awhile and havent come up with anything yet. i have come across a few DT fork sets, is there a difference other than internal springs? are these the same tubes used in the MXs?

The DTs' are different. The 75 forks are turned down at the top between the clamps for weight reduction. But as far as damping they are simular your basic rods and holes,don't bother with stock ,get Racetech Emulators.I tried everthing on the stockers to make them "nicer" The Emulators made mine feel like modren cartriage forks but with 7 inches of travel.

I have several pairs of 75 forks but they all need re-chromed,some have very light pits but still destroy seals.

Forking by Frank will sell you new upper tubes if you need them. price is right, too.

Forking by Frank will sell you new upper tubes if you need them. price is right, too.

Ya,iv'e checked into them. That's why i still have them around,i can always send one off to have him match one up or build one. The set i run is still working well. The major problem iv'e found (besides pits)is that they bend outward while riding hard(landing front end high,slapping down). This pair i have now is still ok as far as that goes.:bonk:

scalejockey- i have heard nothing but good things about the race tech emulators on the old forks. once i find a setup i will be running them. i just dont want to have to buy them twice if i can avoid it. anyone out there running the emulators on the smaller 100/125 forks? thats the only thing stopping me from running them in the 125 setup, i havent talked anyone who has. everyone i run into has swapped to the bigger front end and than went emulators, or they are bone stock. not to many built 125 front ends out there.