Sign in to follow this  

stay on smoker or go to thumper?

Well,

I'm just riding MX for fun, track only.

I'm 43, 6ft and 210 lb (working on loosing some lbs). I currently own a 2010 YZ 250 and been struggling a bit more recently with the snappy power. Being a first time Dad since last February, my riding time decreased (once a week on an average).

Last year I was riding at least twice, if not more and I had a better grip on the bike.

I rode a 450 last WE (10' KX 450) and I have to say that the power delivery was so smooth and easier to control.

I was not thrilled by the weight in some tight sections but the few laps I put seemed to be easier on me than with the YZ.

I'm just worried about the typical long term maintenance/cost.

Resale value on thumpers are down the drain around here, and two strokes are not much better, so I'll put this out of the equation

I have a GYTR flywheel which helped a bit and a jetting on the rich side but no matter what, it's a 250 2st: ON-OFF, and when it's on....

I had a 250F back in 07 but it felt like a 125, lot of shifting involved, I'm a lugger.

Rode a 350 KTM also and it didn't feel much better in the low end than a 250F.

What would you guys do?

Should I just work more on my fitness or go to the dark side again?

The YZ is really cool, love the sound, light weight, but wears me out fast.

Here are a few low cost options:

1. Add a FWW. It will not slow the bike down, but it will significantly smooth out the power, and you might even consider altering the gearing a little. An inexpensive way to alter the gearing is to buy a cheap countershaft sprocket that is one tooth larger than stock. I know two fast woods guys that "gear up" to smooth out the power, and it might work on the MX track. A FWW is about $100 new, maybe $50 used, and used ones would probably be easy to find for a YZ. A countershaft sprocket is < $15.

2. Send your cylinder and head to eric gorr or another well-know tuner for porting. They can make it anyway you want for very little money, and I know Gorr will "re - port" for free if you are not happy.

3. Although more complicated, you might consider selling your YZ and buying a KTM 250 with the proceeds. My current 250 smoker is an 09 SX, and it is really quite astonishing how mild it is when ridden back-to-back with my friends YZ 250. It is just as fast, if not faster, but the power is delivered in a much smoother fashion. KTMs allow you to make very substantial adjustments to the powerband with PV springs and preload settings, and late models (starting in 07?) have 2 different ignition maps.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with joining the 450 herd, but I think with some minor tuning you could be very happy with your YZ.

Dude stay on the smoker. They're not supposed to be easy to ride. They're cheap, and keep you in shape, which is exactly what you want. Don't switch to a gay 4t like the rest. There are PLENTY of things you can do to that bike to make it lugger approved, like the 295 kit or a rekluse, change the gearing, the possibilities are endless.

if you like and feel more comfortable on a 450f then get one, its what you want to ride not other people saying 4 strokes are gay which turns you off the bike you want... yes rebuilds are more but if you look after it it wont need one for a while. like mentioned before there are plenty of mods to smooth out a yz250. but get what you want.

if you like and feel more comfortable on a 450f then get one, its what you want to ride not other people saying 4 strokes are gay which turns you off the bike you want... yes rebuilds are more but if you look after it it wont need one for a while. like mentioned before there are plenty of mods to smooth out a yz250. but get what you want.

:bonk:

jk completely agree with above poster but the guy is sitting here saying what he wants and it spells 2 stroke for sure. He just needs to modify that 2t to get the power where he wants it.

First thanks to all of you for the feedback, even if I won't comment on the "gay" thing... I don't feel going that route.:smirk: (BlackCR, you are right that I might be spelling 2 stroke :bonk:)

rpt50: very interesting post from you:

Back in 09, I did the biggest mistake. Selling my 08 250 SX (put back to stock after running it with Ohlins TTX front and rear plus some cosmetics goodies).

SXW.jpg

Everybody has/had, will have(?) a "moment".. .That was mine.

Sold it to buy a 450 RMZ (09) which ended up giving me hard time.

Start, stall/ start, stall for 10 mins then will run OK. Bought it new and they never found what was wrong even if they did reproduce the symptoms.

It was OK to ride, not to lift on the stand or pick up after a close encounter with the ground.

I don't worry about lap times but the time I can ride before pulling over and thought the thumper would help.

So here I am looking for another SX but they are sold out or the only one I found after 2 months is a no go as the dealer wouldn't trade on a Suzuki.

I'm without a bike, grumpy and maybe in a unnecessary rush so I started the YZ quest.

After another month, I finally found one, they traded in the RMZ and overall deal was OK from $$ standpoint.

But I still miss the SX since as you said they are so easy to tune (the PV can do magics)

My YZ is a very good bike, don't get me wrong, but the pumpkin was just great. Add the cool hydro clutch, brembo brakes, pop in/out filter cover.

I've seen a couple of 2012 around here and they are so sleek

I posted in the YZ forum and some folks mentioned E Gorr 295 kit, a good option for luggers like me.

Need to think about it (meanwhile I'm jogging, eating better again, no reason to hold onto that:busted:)

Yes stay on a 2-stroke. Send your head and carb to RB and tell Ron you want a smooth power delivery and then add the FWW if you still think you need it.

Edited by john01

mx state, funny that you posted your "moment" of truth bike, your sx...My 98 cr250 I bought back in 07' and loved every minute of it. Went off to college and had to sell it for rent $, never even met the guy I sold it to, and I also lost all of my riding buddies. Well 4 years go by, I come back from school and my buddy calls me up (I let him ride my bike 1 time before I sold it) He tells me it's sitting in his garage...A friend of a friend now owns my old bike I couldn't believe it. So, sure as shit I got the $ so fast I think I robbed someone, and bought my old bike back....It sits down in my garage awaiting a full restoration and motor this week...He recognized my bike because of a random firefighter decal I had on the shroud. It had been removed but you could still see the outline of it...It's like destiny or the "speed gods" allowed it...Pure chance. Don't give up hope! My bike went through 2 terrible owners that never even changed the air filter or spark plug. Literally the same air filter oil was still on it from when I did it many years ago. The first guy wrecked it, and the second guy fixed the bent wheel and clutch lever....I snatched it so quick changed ALL the fluids, filter, premix ratio, spark plug and now about to do top end along with all bearings and many many other things. I've learned my lesson. This bike and I shall never part again. Long live the 2t.

The fly wheel weight will be a life saver on the YZ. They're cheap too. Porting and carb work isn't nessecary. If your going to throw out the money for that might as well get a 250sx. I had one of those moments when I sold my 125sx. I LOVED that bike. That was a few years ago. I'm perfectly happy with my sxf :bonk:

oh man that was a nice looking 250sx. maybe get back on one? check this pv adj'er out...so tuneable..

DSCF3271.jpg

Stay with the smoker ! As said previous they are supposed to be challenging to ride ... im 5'10" 160 lbs and ride a 250 ... sometimes it wants to pull my arms off but thats the fun of it :smirk: i like havin more than enough power !!

Gotta respect the power ... all about throttle control / body position and one more thing ..... squeeze the knees :busted::bonk:

Braap ! :banana:

Try to ride a 450 back to back with a 250 if you can. I have learned that the ding dongs of the internet have no idea what YOU want. Test ride as much as you can, search for a KTM demo day in your area, and form your own opinion. My opinion is, my 450, with a gytr FW and a Rekluse, is far more fun to ride then a 250 smoker. Because, its easier for me to manage the power and clutch plus, I can ride faster for longer. And the ticket is, whatever you can ride faster for longer = fun. IMHO.

personally for MX only, if you just want to go out and have good time and not work yourself to death get a 450! a 4 stroke is SO much easier to ride on a track, I would pick a 2 stroke for trails though.

I had always been a die-hard 2 stroke guy, then I got a KX250F, I was hitting jumps the first day on that bike that I had always been scared to try on a YZ250, I am 100% more confident on that bike (kx250F)

personally for MX only, if you just want to go out and have good time and not work yourself to death get a 450! a 4 stroke is SO much easier to ride on a track, I would pick a 2 stroke for trails though.

I had always been a die-hard 2 stroke guy, then I got a KX250F, I was hitting jumps the first day on that bike that I had always been scared to try on a YZ250, I am 100% more confident on that bike (kx250F)

I believe every word of that (no sarcasm) I am still a die hard 2 stroke guy...but I have ridden my buddies 11' crf450. It is definitely easier to ride and more solid, but something about my light 2 stroke and the 2t powerband, the sounds, the smell, the feel when you pass a guy on a 4t...:bonk: Then you KNOW you got it.

Different strokes for different folks! Treat everything on this site as if it were a lie, including everything I just said. Real talk!

Try to ride a 450 back to back with a 250 if you can. I have learned that the ding dongs of the internet have no idea what YOU want. Test ride as much as you can, search for a KTM demo day in your area, and form your own opinion. My opinion is, my 450, with a gytr FW and a Rekluse, is far more fun to ride then a 250 smoker. Because, its easier for me to manage the power and clutch plus, I can ride faster for longer. And the ticket is, whatever you can ride faster for longer = fun. IMHO.

why does everybody want mx riding to be easy or easier ??? everyone who rides a 4t ALWAYS say its easier to ride than a 2t :bonk:

Thats why i love 2 smokers .... they take talent / coordination / focus to ride vs just twisting the throttle and not having to worry about shifting on a 4t :smirk:

It looks like you already tried the flywheel so let me lay this on you. All of the YZ's I have ridden have stumble at about 1/4 throttle that make them have a hard hit once you get through the stumble. Put a number eight slide in it and it will be electric smooth with a flywheel weight. At least my 2001 is. Made it much easier to ride, but still retains that 250 fun factor.

Oh, and dial your timing back a little or a lot. The tools to do it can be had fairly cheap and it will really smooth out the bottom and actually give you a little more overrev. I think there is a sticky on it in the yamaha two-stroke section.