Sign in to follow this  

Old "Hockey Stick" style SA on a newer bike?

I need to get a silencer with a sparkie as the rules for one of the forests I frequent are changing for next season. I like the stock silencer on my '09 200 XCW but it has no S/A. I found a few deals on the older style "hockey stick" silencers and was wondering if they would bolt up to my '09? I'm looking at one from an '02 exc200. I've heard that the hockey sticks are the quietest out there, which is appealing to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It will fit. I keep one around for the enduros. They very quiet and smooth out the power delivery, lengthens it to.

They appear periodically in the classifieds on KTM talk. You can also find used examples of other brands there. I run an FMF turbine core sparky on my 250 and it works well. No louder than stock. I also have a FMF Q on other bikes. No benefit to the Q model to my ear (others may disagree), but I do find the extra length gets in the way. If you really want to quiet the bike down, add a db snorkel to any silencer.

Rpt, i tried the db, and found it to be no quieter then a hockey stick. Maybe at idle, but it was just as loud on throttle. Find a cheapy hockey stick if you don't need one all the time.

Edited by gmoss

I'll have to try one. I have used about every silencer but the hockey stick. is there a screen inside, or is it the turbine type arrester?

I'd be attaching it to my bike permanently as I need a SA everywhere now and the OEM silencer has none. I'm not worried about the size, but I do like lightweight and quiet. The only other option I see is the FMF Q Stealth, is it worth the extra $$$?

IMO, no, but many find it that it is. It is all up to what you want to spend. They way I see it, if you buy it and don't like it, it should be easy to sell and recoup most if not all of your money.

Many just don't like the way it looks. I think it looks kind of retro. hehe

I like the hockey stick.

It's heavier then most and very quiet. As Gmoss mentioned they have a great torque spread (less hit) and tend to have more over rev. I have tried plenty of silencers...all ways end up going back to the h/s.

On a lighter note.

30 pounds over weight,not a problem.

A silencer that is 1 lb. heavier...unthinkable. :bonk: