Sign in to follow this  

difference between 450x and 450r

my cousin wants to race mx, they want something with a lot of durability which is why his dad wants to get him an x model because they are supposed to be more reliable than the r. So what are the differences between the x and r. Would it make a difference for mx

Anything can be reliable as long as you take care of it maintenance wise and understand the little nuances of the bikes.

That being said....the X's are for offroad and the R's are for MX. You can cross into both with either bike, but if you are talking about racing and being competetive, stick with what the bikes that are designed for.

my cousin wants to race mx, they want something with a lot of durability which is why his dad wants to get him an x model because they are supposed to be more reliable than the r. So what are the differences between the x and r. Would it make a difference for mx

Are talking about 'riding on a track' or racing?

Racing on an MX track requires a special set of performance traits that only and MX bike has.

An R is no less durable than an X, accept an R can be ridden much harder, much faster, and therefore can be abused much quicker, and requires more maintenance. The R is built be fast and light, first and foremost. The X is built to survive almost anything, at the expense of a lot more weight, slower handling, slower revving motor, etc. Hell, even the plastics on the R are thinner, just to save weight.

A very fast rider can wear out either bike in one day, no problem.

There is almost not a thing the same. They just look a lot alike and a few, very few, parts will inter change.

Like the other post says you can do both with each bike but if the rider is a A level rider better stick with the best tool for each job.

no hes starting out, he'll be at the track every weekend and racing i believe every two weeks. Hes not competitive and not very fast yet

no hes starting out, he'll be at the track every weekend and racing i believe every two weeks. Hes not competitive and not very fast yet

If he's all track, then he needs the R. But I'd recommend the YZ450F if reliability is more important than speed. You have to coddle the CRFR, but you don't have to worry much about the YZF's.

the problem with that is he doesnt like the yamaha, he'd rather go kx450f 2012 or 2012 crf450r or x. You know how some people are if they're not happy with something they'll find things to cry about on the bike"i dont like this, i dont like that, i thought yamaha was supposed to be reliable" I also think he should get a yamaha but he doesnt like the way they look. Were going to the dealers to go and see the bikes, maybe i can convince them into a yz450f

If your cousin is new to racing, will be at the track every weekend, racing every two weeks and wants durability, I would highly suggest he consider a 2 stroke, unless your uncle has deep pockets. But, that's not answering your question, so definitely a 450R. You have to change the 450X a lot to make it suitable for motocross and even then it's barely suitable for motocross.

He should invest in a lot of oil and air filters.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Anyone NEW to racing on a big bore probably isn't going to wring a 450 < anything > one out in a day, or month.

Durability and reliability have different connotations. You can choose yours...

In the strict definition of terms in the way of track design/layout, given a choice one would choose the "right" tool for the "right" job and don't want to race a MX on an "X".

Grand Prix okay - MX not.

To Justin's point, a NEW racer should consider a 2-S 250 (at least now, if only for cost considerations) and work his way up and into the open class. I would not consider racing in the open class for a NEW racer.

Your cousin should take his time, save his energy and money on a 2-stroke steed, work his way up concentrating on gaining skill and confidence and when the time is right, then move up and choose the "R".

My two...

new rider + MX track + 450 = broken femur!!! nobody should start out on a 450! 250 four-stroke is a good way to learn. but, as stated, be ready to allocate some serious time to maintenance.