Sign in to follow this  

stay on smoker or go back to thumper?

Well,

I'm just riding MX for fun, track only.

I'm 43, 6ft and 210 lb (working on loosing some lbs). I currently own a 2010 YZ 250 and been struggling a bit more recently with the snappy power. Being a first time Dad since last February, my riding time decreased (once a week on an average).

Last year I was riding at least twice, if not more and I had a better grip on the bike.

I rode a 450 last WE (10' KX 450) and I have to say that the power delivery was so smooth and easier to control.

I was not thrilled by the weight in some tight sections but the few laps I put seemed to be easier on me than with the YZ.

I'm just worried about the typical long term maintenance/cost.

Resale value on thumpers are down the drain around here, and two strokes are not much better, so I'll put this out of the equation

I have a GYTR flywheel which helped a bit and a jetting on the rich side but no matter what, it's a 250 2st: ON-OFF, and when it's on....

I had a 250F back in 07 but it felt like a 125, lot of shifting involved, I'm a lugger.

Rode a 350 KTM also and it didn't feel much better in the low end than a 250F.

What would you guys do?

Should I just work more on my fitness or go to the dark side again?

The YZ is really cool, love the sound, light weight, but wears me out fast.

I'd stay with the 2-stroke. I'ved owned both and rather ride a 2 stroke. They both have there pros and cons just do whatever makes you happy

Stay on 2 stroke and get a little bit in to shape. After done with riding you will look better and you will feel better :banana:, and sometimes you will forget when you changed oil :smirk:

I just went from $T to 2T and I love it. :bonk:

I would go with the 4 stroke, I have an Xr250l, I also ride a goldwing a lot, so when I get on the XR, it feels like a toy. Just a thought.......

Or just try to get used to the snappy power. I needed about a year, maybe less to do that. An overcome difficulty greatly improves riding skills IMO. Clutch is the name of the game in the 2 stroke segment.

I'd stay on the smoker. The fun factor of a two stroke is much higher than a four-stroke. 450's are like cheater bikes, but I prefer the work of a two stoke. Nothing beats the sound, smell, powerband, cost and fun. If your not that serious about racing and just want to have fun why waste the money?

That being said, I've owned several thumpers and never had any motor problems or maintainence problems. 450's last along time if you take care of them properly. It's not like a 250 were you gotta rev it out all the time to make power. If you do get the 450 just change the oil often and keep a clean air filter, and she won't let you down.

put a rekluse on the yami and it will be smoother than the 450, cheaper too.

Been thinking about that, do you currently have one?

I looked at the base model, around $400.

I was wondering if it would be worth the $$.

I want something reliable and that will last.

Getting in better shape is the number one priority for sure, not only for riding.

I don't think that pipes/silencer will really do much good. I talked to one gentleman who had a gnarly and he told me it was just too much for tight tracks as the bike wanted to stand up all the time

thanks to all for the replies BTW

I'd still try a Gnarly.

The Gnarly moves the power/torque lower in the powerband, and the transition into the hit is mellowed because of that.

Still no 4-stroke, but it's Lugger Approved!

If the bike "stands up", well, that sounds like throttle control.

...Clutch is the name of the game in the 2 stroke segment.
:smirk::banana::bonk:

Buy the Eric Gorr yz295 kit. Turns the bike into a torque monster. Everyone who has ridden my bike cant stop talking about how much it improves the ridability of it. I'm also a lugger and this kit allows you to be either lazy our in attack mode. I just bought a rekluse z start, (old model not pro model), and love it for woods riding. I would say the 295 kit first, best mod for a yz250 period.

Buy the Eric Gorr yz295 kit. Turns the bike into a torque monster. Everyone who has ridden my bike cant stop talking about how much it improves the ridability of it. I'm also a lugger and this kit allows you to be either lazy our in attack mode. I just bought a rekluse z start, (old model not pro model), and love it for woods riding. I would say the 295 kit first, best mod for a yz250 period.

Also been looking at this option. I would like to ride one before and be sure it's not going to be "too much". I was reading MXA test of the 300 kit on the KTM SX and the L.A. sleeve 270 kit on the YZ . In both cases, it seems that it's turning them into even more hard core racing machines.

but I also searched the posts about EG 295 and have to admit that everyone love the upgrade.

Price is not bad, cheaper than going to a 4 strokes and ending up not happy with it.

I'm trying to look at the big picture and start to feel that I do want to keep the ring-ding-ding. I can afford only one bike and I would have to sell at a loss, no matter what. Market is tanked, period.

Maybe I should do what I thought about years ago. 300 kit and Yellow treatment, switch to Maxima 927 and be better at working the clutch :bonk:

Thanks again to all for the honest feedback (getting in better shape is cheaper than buying a thumper for sure:smirk:).

I had a few 4 strokes in the past (03 CRF 450, 07 250 and 450 SXF, 09 450 RMZ) but always came back to a stroke at some point.

I guess it's time to settle down and keep the premix alive!

The hit didn't bother me when I got my 06 and I actually thought it was fun, but over time I realized smooth was faster. So, over the last year I tried my best to make it as smooth as possible and its actually very easy to do. My bike now has a very linear feel and pulls hard and smooth from idle to the very top, no real hit, just an extra little boost when it gets on the pipe.

Here are my mods:

Ignition retarded 1 degree from stock (see timing thread)

Installed DEP pipe and silencer (more power than stock but its smoother)

Lean out the jetting for maximum crispness (rich makes it seem smoother, but it makes it harder to predict the mushy power band transition)

One tooth larger rear sprocket

Head cut to adjust squish

Good suspension actually makes the engine easier to manage as well and it won't tire you out as badly. I would highly recommend SPI, I had Dave revalve my suspension front and rear with the DDT Gen2 and I'd have to say that it is the bomb.

• Like 1

...I was reading MXA test of the 300 kit on the KTM SX and the L.A. sleeve 270 kit on the YZ. In both cases, it seems that it's turning them into even more hard core racing machines.
But that's MXA. They like that sort of stuff, and will tune the bikes accordingly. :smirk:
...but I also searched the posts about EG 295 and have to admit that everyone love the upgrade...
When you stop to think about it, that is probably the best solution.

Look how many *ahem* "senior" riders have gone to Service Honda CR500s.

They ride all day in one gear, maybe two tops.

Ask Eric to build you a mid-range 295 cylinder, or see what he recommends. :bonk:

I can see the grin already. :banana:

The hit didn't bother me when I got my 06 and I actually thought it was fun, but over time I realized smooth was faster. So, over the last year I tried my best to make it as smooth as possible and its actually very easy to do. My bike now has a very linear feel and pulls hard and smooth from idle to the very top, no real hit, just an extra little boost when it gets on the pipe.

Here are my mods:

Ignition retarded 1 degree from stock (see timing thread)

Installed DEP pipe and silencer (more power than stock but its smoother)

Lean out the jetting for maximum crispness (rich makes it seem smoother, but it makes it harder to predict the mushy power band transition)

One tooth larger rear sprocket

Head cut to adjust squish

Good suspension actually makes the engine easier to manage as well and it won't tire you out as badly. I would highly recommend SPI, I had Dave revalve my suspension front and rear with the DDT Gen2 and I'd have to say that it is the bomb.

I did the timing thing : subtle mod but noticeable.

Pipe, not sure, I've seen a lot of comments about stock being the good all around but if I can find a couple for cheap, I'll try.

Jetting, my own experience has been the opposite so far, but I'll keep experimenting, as I have bunch of needles and jets. But the leaner I go, the snappier/barky it feels.

What are you running?

I put my JD kit last week. 45 pilot, red 4th, 175 main but plug reading a bit scarry (white side). been with stock for a while and wasn't bad at all.

Gearing stock, will try different when I'm due for a new chain

Suspension is done and it did help a lot. Stock was way too soft for my :busted: and stiffer springs and appropriate valving took care of it.

But that's MXA. They like that sort of stuff, and will tune the bikes accordingly. :smirk:

When you stop to think about it, that is probably the best solution.

Look how many *ahem* "senior" riders have gone to Service Honda CR500s.

They ride all day in one gear, maybe two tops.

Ask Eric to build you a mid-range cylinder, or see what he recommends. :bonk:

I can see the grin already. :banana:

Agreed, MXA is racer oriented, not Senior Vet D- class:p

I took a spin on a CR 500 a long time ago, one gear for sure, but on the rear wheel every single second.

As soon as you get tired or don't pay attention,the whiskey throttle black cloud will float above your head very quickly!!!

SH 500 are neat though

If you think the bike market has dropped for two strokes you should try and sell a four stroke now. NOBODY will even touch it. I even offered to put in a new bottom end (not needed) and they were still too nervous. I don't want to give it away for 1500 so I may just keep it. Nice bike but they just won't sell these days. :bonk:

I like my '06 and the snap now took alittle while to get used to it my bike is stock in the motor cept for the gyt-r flywheel. But when I jump on my friend's '06 CR 250 which is mostly stock cept for a rad valve and now did the pwk carb swap. Even still his bike feels so much smoother in it's power then my YZ his CR still has the 2 stroke snap but it's no wheelie machine like the YZ.

I think you should if your not gonna MX it is and send the jug off and get it ported for a more mellow power band.

put a rekluse on the yami and it will be smoother than the 450, cheaper too.

Best advice you can get . add the recluse and run a gear higher it will act like the 450 only lighter and quicker.