Sign in to follow this  

Washington Digital camera lens

I bought my wife a DSLR camera for Christmas. This is our first expensive camera. Can you adjust the lens for zoom when it is in auto mode? I don't want to break the lens. I know it's not dirtbike related but you guys know everything and the camera will be used to take dirt bike photos:ride:

If you are refering to auto as "auto focus" (AF) mode, then yes, you can still zoom in and out with the lense. I highly recommend finding a local class on Digital photograophy. Helps you understand the capability of your new camera. The DLSR's are awsome.

Thanks. I suggested a class to her. I got her a Sony Alpha 33. The main reason was it takes 7 fps for good moto shots!

Mine is only like 3 fps, but its older and if i told the wife I wanted a new one she would kill me ! its a sony A3. I use to have a Minolta 35mm SLR and they went out of buissness. But sony bought them and they use all minolta basses for the lenses so i can still use all my Minolta accessories on this one. Have fun and enjoy.

There's no reason why you'd break your camera from zooming while filming or while in auto mode. However, I'd avoid zooming during filming, as this tends to lead to the camera hunting for focus.

Well I think this is too much camera for her. looks like we are going to take it back and get a high end pont and shoot. She doesn't want to mess with changing lenses and it wont easily fit in her purse.

A digital SLR is where it is at for action. For your standard portrait pics the cheap pocket camera's work great. I have not used Sony in many years but the Canon and Nikon digital SLR camera's both have auto mode as well and a sport mode for action that takes no special knowledge of any kind, point and shot. About the only skill anyone needs to acquire is getting the camera to focus. Most camera's you do a half click to get it to focus then full click to take the shot. For shooting a race it works well to get a focal point, focus, then shoot the same spot as racers go by. I have a little Nikon $100 pocket camera to pack around in my jacket but for race action I have my aging Canon 40D.

Joe.......

IMG_9504.JPG

40D, I had a buddy just give me a 10D that takes amazing photos compared to the expensive point and shoot I am returning to Costco. When you want to sell that aging 40D let me know!

40D, I had a buddy just give me a 10D that takes amazing photos compared to the expensive point and shoot I am returning to Costco. When you want to sell that aging 40D let me know!

Which one are you returning and why?

Which one are you returning and why?

Nikon 500 it is $319 or something like that it's a good camera for portrait and landscape, but not action unless it is well lit. The SLR we have now just takes much better pictures even though it is dated in the digital SLR world. I plan to race the entire NMa offroad series and want my wife to document myself and buddies race season. Also I will be shooting all of the kids races that I go to to make a photo book of my son and his best friend Ryder.

Nikon 500 it is $319 or something like that it's a good camera for portrait and landscape, but not action unless it is well lit. The SLR we have now just takes much better pictures even though it is dated in the digital SLR world. I plan to race the entire NMa offroad series and want my wife to document myself and buddies race season. Also I will be shooting all of the kids races that I go to to make a photo book of my son and his best friend Ryder.

Ah OK. We are on our way out to take the Sony back and look for another point and shoot.

Hey Paul,

We just got the fujipix HS20. Look into it. It shoots 8FPS and has a huge zoom that does not detach.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/1/5/fujifilmhs20exr

We just got it so have not taken any moto pics yet. Did take some pics of my son do bmx tricks and it stopped him in the action with no blurr.

Got it at amazon.com for $328. All you need after that is a clear filter to protect the lens and a laminate screen protector. My buddy who is a semi-pro photograper just bought his from KITS cameras. He said the owner of KITS also bought one. So it must be good. So far im impressed.

I have owned a couple of 10d's as well. They are OK, far better than any of the pocket camera's I've used. Even one of the newer Rebel's is going to blow that 10D away. Take any Canon and slap an L series lens on it, wow! I can't afford the L series but I can go rent them;) For me a $1200 camera is well justified, I take a lot of pictures. Pro Photo Supply has a rental Dept. that makes it real easy to try before you buy. I rented a Mark V a few years back with a couple L series len's and it was a lot of fun shooting with the top of the line stuff at the time. So many doors open up with a good camera. My kids are into it now and take some amazing images making it super fun. Now the newest model's are doing high def video as well.

Joe.......

10D is good for me for now, we mainly want to take pics of our son racing and portraits so it will be just fine. Better than any point and shoot you can buy. I just ordered 28-135 IS lens, which will fit the new stuff as well. Should be good for a year then I will upgrade the body.

I have a Canon 1D Mark 2n pro camera for sale if anyone is interested?

Just about the best sports camera ever made :bonk:

I have owned 3, and would keep this one, but my clients want a larger file size,

but for personal use it is more than good enough.

All those Mark whatever models are amazing. I think that one I rented was a mark 2? I held the shutter down just to see how long it would go and after around 125 frames is started to slow.

Joe....

All those Mark whatever models are amazing. I think that one I rented was a mark 2? I held the shutter down just to see how long it would go and after around 125 frames is started to slow.

Joe....

They are awesome!

9 frames a second and built like a tank.

I shot this one of Bubba a while back with a Mark 2N :bonk:

896490891_B4th6-L.jpg

I have a Canon 1D Mark 2n pro camera for sale if anyone is interested?

Just about the best sports camera ever made :bonk:

I have owned 3, and would keep this one, but my clients want a larger file size,

but for personal use it is more than good enough.

Dave,

You are killing me, I really want to upgrade my kit. After my 24-70 2.8 sigma died this summer I have been frustrated with using my cheap lenses. Sent the lens to Sigma and their quote was $50 less than I paid for the lens new. I learned my lesson and will be sticking to Canon L glass in the future.

When my TC250 sells I will touch base with you and see if you still have it.

Later,