Sign in to follow this  

Strange - intermittent starting issue

I promised I searched.

Will do Marquez's electrical diagnosis procedure next but...don't have a clue about electric stuff or reading one of those meters.

E model - Have done power mod. Has heated grips on a relay if that matters. Have never had a starting issue till yesterday. Was running the grips yesterday FWIW.

Bike stalled, hit the starter button and nothing. Hit it a few more times and starter engaged, it started right up. I though huh??

Went to start it later and nothing. We thought battery dead? When you pushed the starter button you could hear a clicky buzz. Pushed it off and it started no problem.

Same thing happened again later.

Here's the weirdest part - Went to push start it one last time for the day. I noticed when I turned the key on there were no lights. Though battery is totally dead. But then turned key off/on and the lights came on. Tried to bump start it twice, no start. Turned the key off/on again, hit starter button and the starter engaged and bike fired right up as if nothing had ever happened???

Thanks for your thoughts . .

Thoughts? - Yes. Obviously an intermittent problem. E Marquez publication of the electrical troubleshooting guide probably will not help much but is always a good place to start. The problem is external to the power generating system. Some place between the battery and the loads there is a bad connection or broken wire.

Clean and tighten the battery terminals

Replace the fuse (good or not)

Inspect he fuse holder for heat/discoloration.

inspect the connector between the fuse and the battery for heat/discoloration possibly even green.

Inspect the wires near the steering head for pinch/breaks.

Inspect the connections at the key switch.

I suspect your key switch is bad. Turn it on and off repeatedly and observe odd/variable performance. Pull the wires off the switch and jumper together and see if the problem goes away.

Thoughts? - Yes. Obviously an intermittent problem. E Marquez publication of the electrical troubleshooting guide probably will not help much but is always a good place to start. The problem is external to the power generating system. Some place between the battery and the loads there is a bad connection or broken wire.

Clean and tighten the battery terminals

Replace the fuse (good or not)

Inspect he fuse holder for heat/discoloration.

inspect the connector between the fuse and the battery for heat/discoloration possibly even green.

Inspect the wires near the steering head for pinch/breaks.

Inspect the connections at the key switch.

I suspect your key switch is bad. Turn it on and off repeatedly and observe odd/variable performance. Pull the wires off the switch and jumper together and see if the problem goes away.

this is outstanding advice :bonk:

You have definitely got a poor connection there...

Noble has covered what to look for comprehensively ...:smirk:

My 1st thought was a faulty ignition switch as the demon..

Several bikes ago I had a similar problem and this was the cause...

Good luck...:bonk:

Hey guys.....sorry had to check out for a while.

Been working on my electrical problem today, found a few things, here's where I'm at.

• The switch for my heated grips was falling apart internally....... replaced the switch, grips work fine now, they are not a part of the problem.
  • I have checked and cleaned connections, I think they are all good now.
  • To recap, I have a relay installed so the off,high,low switch for the heated grips will only work with the bike on. Has worked just fine till now.
  • So now, I keep blowing the 10A fuse at the battery.
  • Below is a pic of how I have it wired....which has always worked .......till now.
  • I have the relay straight wired to the battery and grounded well. FOr testing purposes, I don't even have the wire hot wire to the grips connected to the relay, so the grips are out of the equation.
  • Whenever I touch the orange spliced (headlight) wire to the relay, the fuse pops (when connected to relay).
  • I even bought a new relay thinking that was the problem...it's not. Fuses pop on either the new or old relay.
  • If the key is off fuse is OK, turn key on and fuse pops.
  • Disconnect the orange splice wire from the relay, turn the key and everything is just fine.
  • To summarize.....everytime the orange splice wire is connected to the relay and I turn the key on, I pop the fuse.
  • Do you think I have a bad key switch? But the switch/starter/bike works fine if I take the relay out of play.
  • Thanks doods....hope that makes sense.... I'm confused

Here's how it's wired up.....has always worked this way.

scan-1.jpg

Edited by ihatefalling

Not sure this will help but I just wired up some horns and a relay on my FZ1 and I used a 20A fuse. 10A sounds too low... but I'm far from an expert.

Thanks for the reply but, the 10A fuse is what is stock on the bike.

however.......I am not an electrician by any means . . . . .