Sign in to follow this  

Which bar mount position are you using and why?

Just wondering all ...

In the process of tearing down my new 12 KTM 300 for greasing etc., and wondering which BAR MOUNT position on the triple clamps (forward or backward holes) most are using and WHY?

I know on other bike models, a lot of prefer prefer the forward mount.

Opinions ? Ideally from somebody who has ridden both.:bonk:

3rd position,Im 6'2" and this feel's perfect on my 2012 KTM 250sx.4th is just a touch to forward for me.Also running a Scott's in sub mount so you can only use 3rd or 4th position,which work's out perfect for me.I ran it in 1st and 2nd position before the Scott's and it was to close for me,3rd seem's to be best so far........

THanks all ...

As I plan on running a Scotts Submount, the forward position MIGHT be required as in the GPR above and the second post. Thanks guys!

.. will update after mounting IF the front mount position is the only option with a Scotts :bonk:

UPDATE: I see the clamps have different offsets .. hence 4 mount positions. I am going to go with offset #3 ... seems to be the most popular :-)

Edited by supervokes

Just wondering all ...

In the process of tearing down my new 12 KTM 300 for greasing etc., and wondering which BAR MOUNT position on the triple clamps (forward or backward holes) most are using and WHY?

I know on other bike models, a lot of prefer prefer the forward mount.

Opinions ? Ideally from somebody who has ridden both.:bonk:

Up until two weeks ago, I've been riding mostly mx (5'10",) the past 6 months with the bars in the "closer" position without even noticing that they could be moved. A couple of weeks ago I did some trail riding and was standing up for much longer durations and I noticed how uncomfortable and tired my arms became. It wasnt until that point that I figured moving them forward may help, so I did just that and moved them forward. I can say without a doubt (for me) that moving them forward was actually a major improvement and far more comfortable on the trails and in moto. I find it not only provides better leverage while standing, but it also opens up the cockpit nicely allowing for a less restrictive feel.

I am short (5'6") but I like to run the bars in the forward hole with the offset turned closer to me. I guess that is the #2 position. I like to ride standing and over the front of the bike.

farthest on the tripple clamp, but on the mounts them selves turned to shortest distance

farthest on the tripple clamp, but on the mounts them selves turned to shortest distance

This would be Position #3.If the bar mount were in farthest hole on triple clamp and bar mount turned to longer distance it would be #4.Position #1 is same as #3 except bar mount is in closest hole on the triple clamp.Position #2 is same as #4 except bar mount is in closest hole on triple clamp.:bonk: