Sign in to follow this  

Bike shop/WARNING

Edleson KTM/ husarberg in Troy New york Is the Biggest scam and ripoff. My friend and I called them, he wants to buy a Husaberg 570. He has 2 bikes to trade a 2006 Rm125 and a 2004 Rm250. The guy said he would give him 3,500 for both bikes plus 5,500 in cash. My friend calls the day before we go just to comfirm the deal. All is set. My friend take off a day from work he lives in brooklyn and pickes me up in nj. I have one of his bikes in my garage. So we drive to the shop 200 miles away. We get there and have to wait a hour till the guy gets back from lunch:foul:. In the mean time the mechanic looks at the bikes. Owner gets back from lunch come out and says all he can give is 1000 per bike but he really does not even want the bikes. He said he told us that. Then he says there is something wrong with one of the bikes. A wheel bearing is bad. Ha a wheel bearing is what 5 bucks. plus maybe takes 5 minutes to install. So we drove over 400 miles my friend looses a day of work plus the cost of gas and tolls. So because of Edlesons my friend does not have a new bike and is out over 300 of his own money. People keep away from the shady place. Plus he raised the price of the bike my friend wanted to buy. This place is a ripoff. We will be contacting KTM/husaberg and letting them know how one of there dealers is treating customers.:bonk:

Edited by honda88
  • Like 1

I'm surprised he would give a trade in value over the phone, those prices are what I would expect from a dealer

and a wheel bearing is quite a bit more than 5 minutes to swap

Edleson KTM/ hauserberg in Troy New york Is the Biggest scam and ripoff. My friend and I called them, he wants to buy a Hauserberg 570. He has 2 bikes to trade a 2006 Rm125 and a 2004 Rm250. The guy said he would give him 3,500 for both bikes plus 5,500 in cash. My friend calls the day before we go just to comfirm the deal. All is set. My friend take off a day from work he lives in brooklyn and pickes me up in nj. I have one of his bikes in my garage. So we drive to the shop 200 miles away. We get there and have to wait a hour till the guy gets back from lunch:foul:. In the mean time the mechanic looks at the bikes. Owner gets back from lunch come out and says all he can give is 1000 per bike but he really does not even want the bikes. He said he told us that. Then he says there is something wrong with one of the bikes. A wheel bearing is bad. Ha a wheel bearing is what 5 bucks. plus maybe takes 5 minutes to install. So we drove over 400 miles my friend looses a day of work plus the cost of gas and tolls. So because of Edlesons my friend does not have a new bike and is out over 300 of his own money. People keep away from the shady place. Plus he raised the price of the bike my friend wanted to buy. This place is a ripoff. We will be contacting KTM/hauserberg and letting them know how one of there dealers is treating customers.:bonk:

Whats a Hauserberg?

Wheel bearings are not a $5 dollar part and a 5 min swap, if it was that cheap and easy, why didnt your buddy do it himself?

I dont really see anything wrong. In good shape (which your buddy probably said the bikes were in) the bikes are worth the $3500 combined. The dealer saw the bikes, saw that they were clapped out, needed some work and wasnt going to give your friend what he though they were worth, I wouldnt have either.

Also, were only hearing one side of the story!

I wouldnt slander a dealers name on here at this point either, what are you going to do if your buddy buys a Hauserberg from them and because you wrote this thread they tell him to f-off after the purchase? How close is the next dealer? I think you and your friend need to re-evaluate whats important in the grand scheme of things and start from there!

When going into a dealership for a new bike purchase, I always go into the dealership expecting they will try and take me for as much as they can. That's they're paycheck and that's what they get paid to do. No hard feelings, if they can't get me the bike for what I can afford or want to pay, I walk away. I've also been screwed in trades as well. I'll never trade anything in again. It may be more convenient, and you may get that bike you want quicker, but you always lose. I sell my stuff now, then buy. It's lousy that I may be without a ride for a bit, but I'm happier in the long run.

I've never had a dealership give me an offer on a trade in, sight unseen.

Anyways, sorry your deal didn't work out. It definately is a disappointment after jumping through the hoops you did to try and make the deal happen.

Whats a Hauserberg?

Wheel bearings are not a $5 dollar part and a 5 min swap, if it was that cheap and easy, why didnt your buddy do it himself?

I dont really see anything wrong. In good shape (which your buddy probably said the bikes were in) the bikes are worth the $3500 combined. The dealer saw the bikes, saw that they were clapped out, needed some work and wasnt going to give your friend what he though they were worth, I wouldnt have either.

Also, were only hearing one side of the story!

I wouldnt slander a dealers name on here at this point either, what are you going to do if your buddy buys a Hauserberg from them and because you wrote this thread they tell him to f-off after the purchase? How close is the next dealer? I think you and your friend need to re-evaluate whats important in the grand scheme of things and start from there!

im with this guy^^

Whats a Hauserberg? !

Damn it Pumpkin, you beat me to it lol.

I dont see anything wrong on the dealers end. So you got there when the guy was on his lunch break?

Trade in value is always going to be really low. What condition were the bikes even in? If they were decent just sell them privately.

I personally would not trust a dealer who tells you he what he would give you on a trade in over the phone. It's a scam to get you in and then they backpedal on the deal. They figure if you are there they can work you. That is a car dealer practice. I would just private party sell the bikes and walk in with a hand full of cash and negotiate from there.

The only way you could realistically expect to get that much money for those bikes is to sell them privately.

No surprise. Sell the old bikes privately.

Contact dealers with who carry the bike you want. Do this via email. Request a OTD price. Have it in writing from the OWNER!!! Then call and confirm a time to meet.

You show with cash for the agreed on OTD price.

This is how I do it and I have never been messed with.

I was only trying to make a point with the wheel bearings. Both bikes are in perfect shape. The 250 has a complete engine rebuild,new crank, piston ect.... there were no problems with the wheel bearing just an excuse for the dealer to offer less money. yes I agree i would never offer a price over the phone without looking first. but he did ,made the offer and reneiged. the worst part we drove over 400 miles not like it was right around the corner. The dealer made a mistake he should of just bit the bullet and made the deal to make a happy customer. He might not of made money selling the bikes but he would of at least get back the 3,500 he offered my friend. My friend was even willing to take 3000. I know now that the dealer never was going to take the bikes just a ploy to get us there and hoping to sell the bike. Still not cool. And we got screwed and have every right to let people what happened to make an informed decision.Again Edleson's is a SHADY place and run by dishonest Owner.

its just your buddies word that its been re-built.

i have bought more then one bike that has been said to be "re-built" but, once i opened them up, i could see thing done wrong, or not done at all.

if a dealer is selling somthing liek that, they need to make 100% sure that everything is perfect to make sure there reputation dose not go out the door.

its going to cost the dealer to make sure everything is good. and probebly replace/fix some things. so 1000$ to buy the bike, $ to pay for the guy to look over the bike..and they still have to make profit to pay for the space it takes up out on the show room floor. and then profit to put money into their own pocket.... 1000 was a more then fair offer.

I can understand the low offers on the day for the bikes as people have said the dealer has to make money and has overheads to pay, but the fact remains that the dealer made an offer over the phone and did not stick to his offer. Did he say it was a guaranteed offer or a guide for a rough price? I've bought cars before and had prices mentioned over the phone then once you get there the prices change, it's hard for a dealer to make offers on stuff without physically seeing it in the flesh as his version of an A1 bike and somone elses idea could be totally different.

But I do think that all of this should be mentioned over the phone by the dealer prior to traveling up the shop because it just wastes everyone's time.

Just learn a lesson from this and next time you know what to expect from dealers and how they can talk the talk to get you interested then change the rules when they got you there.

I can understand the low offers on the day for the bikes as people have said the dealer has to make money and has overheads to pay, but the fact remains that the dealer made an offer over the phone and did not stick to his offer. Did he say it was a guaranteed offer or a guide for a rough price? I've bought cars before and had prices mentioned over the phone then once you get there the prices change, it's hard for a dealer to make offers on stuff without physically seeing it in the flesh as his version of an A1 bike and somone elses idea could be totally different.

But I do think that all of this should be mentioned over the phone by the dealer prior to traveling up the shop because it just wastes everyone's time.

Just learn a lesson from this and next time you know what to expect from dealers and how they can talk the talk to get you interested then change the rules when they got you there.

I think everyone is forgeting is that we are all hearing this 3rd hand. This is coming from a friend of a friend, not the OP himself.

As for your comment about the dealer making an offer and sticking to it, I bet the OPs friend said the bikes were in awesome shape, of course he is going to throw a offer out there. I would too based on the information. Im willing to bet it was a rough number though.

It would be great to hear the dealers point of view though. I imagine it went like "ya, Ill give you $3500 if the bikes are in as good shape as you say they are!". Then the bikes show up and its a whole different story.

Heres a good idea, lets see a few pictures of the bikes, that could show if the bikes were as good as he said they were.

Im not defending the dealer, or trying to pick on the OP, but there is missing information and it could possibly damage this dealers reputation!

its just your buddies word that its been re-built.

i have bought more then one bike that has been said to be "re-built" but, once i opened them up, i could see thing done wrong, or not done at all.

if a dealer is selling somthing liek that, they need to make 100% sure that everything is perfect to make sure there reputation dose not go out the door.

its going to cost the dealer to make sure everything is good. and probebly replace/fix some things. so 1000$ to buy the bike, $ to pay for the guy to look over the bike..and they still have to make profit to pay for the space it takes up out on the show room floor. and then profit to put money into their own pocket.... 1000 was a more then fair offer.

so chopper, your saying u side with the dealer on this one? im sure the OP buddy disclosed what he had apparently has done to his RMs (rebuild). So.. again the DEALER knew what to expect when the boys showed up to make the deal. Dealer should have never quoted a price! Its plain and simple the dealer tried to screw them. Props to you guys to not let the dealer get the best of you. from the dealers stand point, i can see his logic, but c'mon in a service based industry such as this. reputation and word of mouth is HUGE!!! This is just bad business. my .02

:bonk:

I think everyone is forgeting is that we are all hearing this 3rd hand. This is coming from a friend of a friend, not the OP himself.

As for your comment about the dealer making an offer and sticking to it, I bet the OPs friend said the bikes were in awesome shape, of course he is going to throw a offer out there. I would too based on the information. Im willing to bet it was a rough number though.

It would be great to hear the dealers point of view though. I imagine it went like "ya, Ill give you $3500 if the bikes are in as good shape as you say they are!". Then the bikes show up and its a whole different story.

Heres a good idea, lets see a few pictures of the bikes, that could show if the bikes were as good as he said they were.

Im not defending the dealer, or trying to pick on the OP, but there is missing information and it could possibly damage this dealers reputation!

ya good point jacko, lets see some pics, without all of us are getting pissed a shops everywhere:smirk:

Would any of you make a firm offer for a used bike, sight unseen? Of course not.

If you were to be in the market for a used bike, you'd look up some prices. Craigslist, Ebay, NADA. Then you'd go look at the bikes for sale, adjusting the price you have in mind based on the bikes condition.

A dealer buying a used bike is going to pay less because he is just going to sell it for the actual current value.

I've had lots of people tell me their bikes are mint only to find out they are far from it. I recently drove an hour to see a bike that the guy said was 'brand New, only ridden in the driveway a couple times". I got there and the bike was worn out, and had been kept outside. It wasn't worth half the asking price. I have a kid that works for me that thinks his bike is mint, I would call it decent at best. Everybody has their own standards.