Sign in to follow this  

Bike shop/WARNING

I AGREE that I also know people exagerate about what there bike is. We sent him pics. And pics hide many flaws. I am very anal about how I keep my bikes and are spotless. The Rm250 was stripped to the frame by me and every nut and bolt was cleaned and where need greased but that does not prove anything. the dealer started up the bikes and started 1st kick. All he could complain about was a wheel bearing. really not enough not to buy a bike.And I do agree with alot of what you guys say but again dealer made a mistake buy making the deal we held up our part and he did not. I know you have to take my word but I am one of the most honest people you will ever meet. I have no reason to lie. I beieve people should honor what they say..

I AGREE that I also know people exagerate about what there bike is. We sent him pics. And pics hide many flaws. I am very anal about how I keep my bikes and are spotless. The Rm250 was stripped to the frame by me and every nut and bolt was cleaned and where need greased but that does not prove anything. the dealer started up the bikes and started 1st kick. All he could complain about was a wheel bearing. really not enough not to buy a bike.And I do agree with alot of what you guys say but again dealer made a mistake buy making the deal we held up our part and he did not. I know you have to take my word but I am one of the most honest people you will ever meet. I have no reason to lie. I beieve people should honor what they say..

Whenever someone says something like this red flags go up! Just my opinion.

Lets see some pics of the bikes?

since this has been brought onto a forum... post up some pix of these RM's and let the judging begin....

I don't think any dealer is going to make a deal like that over the phone... rots about the lost time and wages though....

Should have recorded the phone conversation, a verbal contract will hold up in court...if you can prove it.

I agree that the dealer is in the wrong here.. but its a failure on your friends part to recognize a common dealer trick its like the old bait n switch.

I mean c'mon i would have to think a deals gonna be too good to be true if i was given a quote over the phone.. Ive never heard of that happening. The dealer is operating under the M.O. that you have already withdrawn some money, loaded up the bikes, and traveled all that distance and are set on making a deal, so once u get there they can switch the deal and take advantage of you.

Sounds like no one was in the right.

The dealer was counting on the buying party to do whatever it took to leave with the new bike. They never should have "offered" anything without seeing the bike(s) in person. That's just silly. Suggesting what they might be worth, what they've given others, or seen them go for, is a common practice.

No dirt bike dealership, ever, wants trade ins, ever. Period.

The only reason they accept a bike as trade is to get you to buy the new bike. They even discourage trade ins by offering next to nothing for your trade. It has nothing to do with putting money or parts into a used bike for them to re-sell. Yes, used bikes sell fast but their profit margin is next to nothing compared to a new bike sale.

I'll say it, You or your friend should have know better. I am sorry that you guys wasted the trip and I hope your friend ends up getting the new bike he wants.

I believe your honest and hope you post up some nice specimens of RM greatness:thumbsup:

Sounds like no one was in the right.

The dealer was counting on the buying party to do whatever it took to leave with the new bike. They never should have "offered" anything without seeing the bike(s) in person. That's just silly. Suggesting what they might be worth, what they've given others, or seen them go for, is a common practice.

No dirt bike dealership, ever, wants trade ins, ever. Period.

The only reason they accept a bike as trade is to get you to buy the new bike. They even discourage trade ins by offering next to nothing for your trade. It has nothing to do with putting money or parts into a used bike for them to re-sell. Yes, used bikes sell fast but their profit margin is next to nothing compared to a new bike sale.

I'll say it, You or your friend should have know better. I am sorry that you guys wasted the trip and I hope your friend ends up getting the new bike he wants.

I believe your honest and hope you post up some nice specimens of RM greatness:thumbsup:

I have to disagree with your remark regarding profit margins on used bikes vs new. There isn't much profit for a dealer in new bikes, maybe a couple 100 bucks. In used, your looking at sometimes more then a 1000 bucks profit on a bike.

It is EDELMANN's BTW.... may as well get the name right if a shop is going to be called out on something that is probably a mis-interpretation/ Conversational issue... i have dealt with Tim at Edelmann's several times and never detected a dishonest tone or action...

Common verbiage used over the phone is.. "bikes that bring $XXXX" or "Sounds like they are worth $yyyyy" or like verbiage. Non comitial and put out there, allowing the listener to hear how they want.

A dealer in biz from more than a day is not going to promise anyone over the phone a hard price on a trade in for a used dirt bike.. You can find a brand new 2011 in clapped out shape not with $100 even if parted, or a 2006 that is worth great retail $$ because it is all OEM (no "full rebuilds" done by unknown wrench turners") low hours and fully maintained / cared for .

There are at least three sides to every story, we have heard one. And it does not match my experience, that’s not to say it’s not true.. as we all know, there are employees that on a phone will say the silliest things to potential customers, the business owner or managers have no clue about till it’s too late.

Well, everytime you go in to a dealer expect the worst. Even if it sounds good, it will allways end like you lost some money and the dealer earned some. But that's their job.

But yeah, i think that it is ****ed up that he offerd you a deal and then blew it off when you where there.

I have to disagree with your remark regarding profit margins on used bikes vs new. There isn't much profit for a dealer in new bikes, maybe a couple 100 bucks. In used, your looking at sometimes more then a 1000 bucks profit on a bike.

Why you raggin' on the OP? Of course the dealer fed him a line to get into the showroom. No-kidding. The more miles/kilometres a customer has to drive to a dealership, the more likely he will leave with something. (..at least in the salesman's mind-set). Plus it is so damn easy to get credit for bikes...how many salesmen have sold bikes quads etc to a guy who initially was just browsing? Truth is: It was a scam a the moment he quoted 3500 for both bikes. Keep in mind he doesn't want the used bikes but he wants the sale. So he offers up a hugely inflated price for both bikes, ( I don't care if they are mint, they are not worth more than a 1000 bucks each...ever), but never fails to mention how he really doesn't want the bikes.

I feel sorry for the pain the arse, traveling and all. But at least you learned a life lesson. A salesman will say anything to get you in the door.

I got a quote in writing from a dealer a few months back for a machine. I call to hold the machine and get a vin for a bank check, then they admit they haven't had that machine in months.

It is sad, but get everything in writing, every step of the way. Even then, most of the people you deal with are not trained professionals, and really have no idea how to treat people properly. My friend quit her motor sports sales job, because for the hours she could make the same $ at the bar without the hassles. There was pressure to play games with people to increase sales. There was also pressure to sell cruisers, because the profit was higher.

In my state it is getting harder and harder to phurchase a machine. I also drove a 400 mile round trip to make a phurchase. The low sales trend is sometimes a self created situation.

since this has been brought onto a forum... post up some pix of these RM's and let the judging begin....

I don't think any dealer is going to make a deal like that over the phone... rots about the lost time and wages though....

^This

I'd rather sell a bike to someone who will be the end user rather than let the dealer make profit off the new bike and the trade-in!

Why you raggin' on the OP? Of course the dealer fed him a line to get into the showroom. No-kidding. The more miles/kilometres a customer has to drive to a dealership, the more likely he will leave with something. (..at least in the salesman's mind-set). Plus it is so damn easy to get credit for bikes...how many salesmen have sold bikes quads etc to a guy who initially was just browsing? Truth is: It was a scam a the moment he quoted 3500 for both bikes. Keep in mind he doesn't want the used bikes but he wants the sale. So he offers up a hugely inflated price for both bikes, ( I don't care if they are mint, they are not worth more than a 1000 bucks each...ever), but never fails to mention how he really doesn't want the bikes.

I feel sorry for the pain the arse, traveling and all. But at least you learned a life lesson. A salesman will say anything to get you in the door.

The OP wasnt the person who was selling or buying the bike(s), it was the OPs friend that was doing all the wheeling and dealing. Lots of people have over looked what I have said before, we are all hearing this information 3rd hand. The OP was just standing there, he could have gone off and looked at bikes will his friend was doing the deal, the OP wasnt on the phone with the dealer.

Im not taking anyones side because unlike you, im not jumping to conclusions about who was right and who was wrong. Lets hear both sides of the story, I would like to hear what the dealer said also.

Here we are on a public forum, for the world to see and were blasting a dealer for what he "could" have said.

Yes, it is a PITA for what the OP and his friend went through but the way I see it, its no ones fault but their own.

The OP wasnt the person who was selling or buying the bike(s), it was the OPs friend that was doing all the wheeling and dealing. Lots of people have over looked what I have said before, we are all hearing this information 3rd hand. The OP was just standing there, he could have gone off and looked at bikes will his friend was doing the deal, the OP wasnt on the phone with the dealer.

Im not taking anyones side because unlike you, im not jumping to conclusions about who was right and who was wrong. Lets hear both sides of the story, I would like to hear what the dealer said also.

Here we are on a public forum, for the world to see and were blasting a dealer for what he "could" have said.

Yes, it is a PITA for what the OP and his friend went through but the way I see it, its no ones fault but their own.

Well you are right. But this is the internet after all and everything here should be viewed with a great deal of skepticism I suppose.:bonk::ride::smirk:

I would bet the dealer said......we will give you up to......and the guy on the other end only heard..... we will give you.

Dealer inspection found loose wheel bearings that the owner did not notice

There is always 2 sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I would have been skeptical of the trade in price after I got off the phone. I couldn't imagine the dealer giving that much money for bikes he hasn't see. Like in the one post, the dealer may have said "we can give you up to" while the guy heard "we'll give you". That happens all the time. I can see the dealer thinking he would give the guy a lot less since they were driving from so far away and he wanted to go back home with a new bike. One thing people have to remember is dirt bikes have a real low resell value.

Let me throw in a thought to ponder. This is almost like looking on craigslist and seeing bikes that are way over priced. And then everyone thinks hey I should be able to buy this for 1/4 the price. But then when you want to sell you think its worth 5x as much .. its called a double standard ....... ok pot stured :bonk: .. p.s. im the same way except that I sold my xr600r way to cheaply and am regretting it

I personally would not trust a dealer who tells you he what he would give you on a trade in over the phone. It's a scam to get you in and then they backpedal on the deal. They figure if you are there they can work you. That is a car dealer practice. I would just private party sell the bikes and walk in with a hand full of cash and negotiate from there.

x2...