Sign in to follow this  

baja designs key switch HELP

I am replacing the Baja Designs handlebar switch because my blinker switch wasn't working all the time. I installed the new 2011 DSK switch upgrade package, which comes with a key switch. All my lights, blinkers etc work fine, EXCEPT my key switch.

I am able to start my bike with the switch in the on or off position, and I am unable to switch my bike off with the switch......the switch basically does nothing.

The switch harness has four wires. One wire plugs into the white connector/plug, the other plugs into the black connector/plug, and then there are 2 wires left to go to the engine disconnect.The 2 wires are blue and black/white. The engine disconnect wires that go to the back of the bike are also blue and black/white. There is no other way to connect any of these wires.

What am i doing wrong? Please advice, as I am trying to get this bike ready for my son for Christmas.

If I connect my original handlebar switch back and connect the wires the same way, the engine kill switch works fine.

Since the new switch doesn't have an engine kill switch, the key should act as my engine kill switch, right?

Your help is much appreciated.

The bike should have two wires, one black, one black/white that are for your kill switch. All you need to do is have these wires shorted and the bike wont run, separate them and it should start. Your key switch should only need to connect to these two wires unless it is lighted or also controls your lights. Connect the switch to these two wires so that when its off the wires are connected and when its on they are apart and it should work fine.

The bike should have two wires, one black, one black/white that are for your kill switch. All you need to do is have these wires shorted and the bike wont run, separate them and it should start. Your key switch should only need to connect to these two wires unless it is lighted or also controls your lights. Connect the switch to these two wires so that when its off the wires are connected and when its on they are apart and it should work fine.

Infact I bought a SPST toggle switch from the local electronics shop (EUR 1.00) which I put in the off position (and keeps the bike in the off position) unless I turn it back on. I placed the switch in a hidden location.

I made this for that extra security. (security through obscurity I call it)

I am replacing the Baja Designs handlebar switch because my blinker switch wasn't working all the time. I installed the new 2011 DSK switch upgrade package, which comes with a key switch. All my lights, blinkers etc work fine, EXCEPT my key switch.

I am able to start my bike with the switch in the on or off position, and I am unable to switch my bike off with the switch......the switch basically does nothing.

The switch harness has four wires. One wire plugs into the white connector/plug, the other plugs into the black connector/plug, and then there are 2 wires left to go to the engine disconnect.The 2 wires are blue and black/white. The engine disconnect wires that go to the back of the bike are also blue and black/white. There is no other way to connect any of these wires.

What am i doing wrong? Please advice, as I am trying to get this bike ready for my son for Christmas.

If I connect my original handlebar switch back and connect the wires the same way, the engine kill switch works fine.

Since the new switch doesn't have an engine kill switch, the key should act as my engine kill switch, right?

Your help is much appreciated.

Hi kardinaal your are correct

Since the new switch doesn't have an engine kill switch, the key should act as my engine kill switch. What Model bike do you have?

by the way, if you are interested to know, the current which flows through the kill switch is in microamp range although at there is a surge of around 20mA at the cut-off. So getting a 100mA rated switch is enough.