Sign in to follow this  

x-ring masterlink bein a pain in the a**

im trying to put a DID X-ring chain on my 08crf 450. i have bought a tusk chain press tool. so far i have got the pins pushed out to about the same amount as they are on the other links. i have tried to put a clip on put it just isn't working. also when i turn the back tire an the chain goes around the sprockets the master-link is so stiff it pops up every time it hits the front sprocket. am i doing something wrong

Dunno,,Read below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331112

Personally if the links too tight to get on and if the chain has the small rubber grommets between joining links I'd leave a couple out,,fit the link,,run the bike around the block for a bit ,,remove the link,,put grommets back in,,Carry on. ,,Course that's if the chain uses the clip joiner,,if it's the press fit job as in the above write up,, I don't know.,

I have to use my monster size channel lock plyers to squeeze the link enough to get it in the grooves.

They are a PITA.

I wouldn't trust it.I used a needle from an old lower shock bearing and vice gripes to flare the pin. Lay the pin flat in the vice grips, line it up and squeeze. The round edge will easily do the job. Works good if you don't have the right tool. Make a cross pattern.

well i got the masterlink plate on but i dont have a rivet to flare out the pins? will it stay on or prolly not?

No, you must use a real chain press w/ the correct flaring tool for that master link. If you aren't prepared to spend the money to buy the right tool or pay a professional to install it, you should just buy the correct clip-on style masterlink for the DID x-ring chain.

BTW, with the right tool, this job is a piece of cake.

I've quit using a masterlink clip like you are talking about.. After seeing several some off while riding causing some quite bad wrecks and engine damage.

I always use the rivet style.. It's cheaper and yes, a lot more permanent. You can take it off and put a new one on in just a few minutes, but you have to have the chain breaker/rivet tool and a grinder..

they make a masterlink with the normal clip on style masterlink for the DID XRING?

It depends on which chain you have. DID does make a clip style masterlink for their VT2 x-ring chain. They don't make one for their VM x-ring chain.

Personally, I like the rivet style, but I have a good RK riveting tool.

I have the clip style masterlink and it works just fine. I would agree that the rivet style is probably stronger but I have never had an issue with the clip style. The only two times I have had a chain failure it was not at the master link. I like the convenience of the clip style. Just my .02

DID makes clip-style master links for both the VM and VT2 x-ring chains, readily available at most motorcycle part retailers.

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/103739/did-520vm-gold-clip-style-master-link.html

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1167113/did-520vt2-gold-clip-style-master-link.html

They each have their pros and cons... I recommend the clip-syle on the VT2 as with the narrow chain it won't get worn much in the guide. The VM is a wider chain and the clip/pins can wear in the chain guide, so a rivet link is wiser!

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R

Sometimes people don't realize there is a certain direction that the clip is supposed to go on. Maybe I'm just lucky I have never had one come off.

Sometimes people don't realize there is a certain direction that the clip is supposed to go on. Maybe I'm just lucky I have never had one come off.

Same here. I have yet to have one come off any of my bikes.

They are a pain but I use big channel locks and squeeze them together, works every time.

Me neither. But Ive only been riding for 45 years...so it'll probably happen some day. :bonk: