Sign in to follow this  

Bel-ray si-7 ok at 60:1 2011 KTM 300xc. Color?

Is it dark enough to see through the tank?

I am starting to race some here in the Virginia area and ride trails along with a little MX learning.

I know it is origanally for injection but any reason not to use it at KTM 60:1?

Thank you and merry Christmas

if its meant to run in an oil injected machine then i would say no, its not safe to run at the rec ktm ratio. ive read of people using injector oils but they run them at something closer to 24:1

No oil is OK at 60:1 if you ride harder than just putt-putting around the camp site.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary...

I run 60:1 on my KTM, no issues to date. Then again, I very cautious about jetting!

My buddy runs that Amsoil stuff at 100:1 on his 09 KTM 300, no issues to date either. Hes on his second piston, original bottom end and just turned over the 300hr mark!

I run 60:1 on my KTM, no issues to date. Then again, I very cautious about jetting!

My buddy runs that Amsoil stuff at 100:1 on his 09 KTM 300, no issues to date either. Hes on his second piston, original bottom end and just turned over the 300hr mark!

I'm glad it works for you.

Did you see this part?

Just my opinion.

:bonk:

NO NO NO. DO NOT MIX at 60:1 ! KTM recommends this only for Environmental reasons not engine performance. Also do mix a injector oil that lean. A Injector system mixes at 16:1 at full throttle and 100:1 at idle. Keep that in mind. If you insist on a lean mixture of oil use Opti2 @ 80:1. No other oil would I recommend that lean. I run Maxima K2 at 40:1 or richer. You can run it 50:1 in a 400cc + 2 stroke.

I'm usually conservative and run between 40:1 and 50:1, but last year I screwed up and mixed 225:1 (I calculated the oz per gallon but forgot to multiply by 5 when filling up my can). We ran this gas in my KTM 200 and 300 XCWs for about 2.5 hours on Michigan single track (woods) riding. Now both bikes probably had 1/4 tank or better of properly mixed fuel so we were probably running around 120-140:1 or so. I haven't made that mistake since but was impressed that nothing bad happened. That was probably 60-70 hours or so ago on both bikes and they are still running strong.

I'm not recommending this mixture or suggesting any ratio (do what you feel comfortable with), just relaying my screw up and surprise that nothing bad happened.

Doug

It has a lot to do with the oil and the rpm you are running the engines at. Some oils would have failed shortly after you started and others are more forgiving. You also must have your jetting very very close and a bit on the rich side.

I'm usually conservative and run between 40:1 and 50:1, but last year I screwed up and mixed 225:1 (I calculated the oz per gallon but forgot to multiply by 5 when filling up my can). We ran this gas in my KTM 200 and 300 XCWs for about 2.5 hours on Michigan single track (woods) riding. Now both bikes probably had 1/4 tank or better of properly mixed fuel so we were probably running around 120-140:1 or so. I haven't made that mistake since but was impressed that nothing bad happened. That was probably 60-70 hours or so ago on both bikes and they are still running strong.

I'm not recommending this mixture or suggesting any ratio (do what you feel comfortable with), just relaying my screw up and surprise that nothing bad happened.

Doug

With a ratio of 32:1, that is about a $1.50-$2.50 oil-cost for a tank full of fuel (2 - 3&1/2 gals.)

If you want to be risky and cut the oil amount in half, you're saving 75 cents- $1.25 per tank full. Running the ac in the truck when going riding will more than eat-up that savings.

Maxima Super M w/ 93 octane

Woods ridden-

RM125 - 32:1... rings @ 35 hrs/piston @ 70hrs

RM250 - 40:1... rings @ 45 hrs/piston @ 90hrs

I thought more oil = more power anyways.. Unless your are overly concerned about blue smoke why run so lean?

60:1 scares me! That leaves little room for error on jetting. We've run 40:1 for years and get great top end life and overall engine life.

18:1 gives the most HP but that seems excessive.. 32:1 would be my choice if i still ran 2-strokes.

I am new to this stuff but a lot of you seem to run way different ratios than what KTM recommends for mine and I would think is jetted for.

Do you guys just run what ever ratio you feel like and not address the jetting or is you bike manufacture recommend at jet for 24:1, 32:1...?

You need to address the jetting according to the ratio you mix. If your inexperienced at jetting I recommend the first step be to run the ratio exactly has KTM suggests..

Then if you prefer to change your oil ratio, you will need to tune the carb to match. More premix = bigger jet, less pre-mix = smaller jet.

I personally would run the most premix you can stand.. Motor will behave a little differently according to your ratio. More oil more power, less oil more snap. Jet and ratio to riding style and conditions too.. if your doing a lot of open stuff with long periods of WOT then more oil. If your doing a lot of tight slow technical stuff where oilings not a problem but fouling is more of a concern you could go leaner like 40:1. I dont see any reason to ever need to get leaner than that...

As mentioned, perhaps KTM is recommending these lean-oil ratios to please the EPA.

60:1 is not a good thing for your piston, rings, cylinder, top end bearing, lower end bearing, or main bearings.

I am new to this stuff but a lot of you seem to run way different ratios than what KTM recommends for mine and I would think is jetted for.

Do you guys just run what ever ratio you feel like and not address the jetting or is you bike manufacture recommend at jet for 24:1, 32:1...?

Even if you run the ratio the manufacturer recommends, jetting is not a set-it-and-leave-it adjustment. Even assuming the stock jetting is PERFECT for a given set of conditions (that's very rare), when the conditions change you'll be changing jets.

So as the saying goes, pick an oil, pick a ratio, and jet for it.

As usual in an oil thread everything posted is opinion. Facts would be nice but it seems no one has any. No, anecdotal evidence is not a fact. I am one who loves to try new stuff, especially premix oils. I have used almost everything out there, every ratio from 32 to 100/1 and zero problems. My 01 CR250 is on its third piston and it was not needed. Everything was still in spec but I had it opened up so put it in just because. Exact same jetting since first adjustment 10 years ago when new and now just adjust tweak air screw occasionally. On second plug. Its all good.