Sign in to follow this  

My 1st Suzuki ever - 2012 RMZ250 (pic)

I've tried almost every bike except Zook.

I have been wanting an RMZ250 for years.

Finally, got one.

The fit and finish is second to none.

Love the 94db exhaust. Quiet with a bark.

My only complaint so far: the throttle grip was fused on. I nearly cut my hand several times trying to replace it. Had I known I would have replaced the tube also.

Mods so far:

BGs

narrow X-ring

grips

skid plate (on order)

rad braces (on order)

hour meter (on order)

Need to get to the indoor track to try it out.

I'll submit a review soon and compare it to my 350 SX-F.

IMG_0012Small.jpg

yea Suzuki throttle tubes are garbage, thats what i call them cause thats where i put mine. lol i have an 08 rmz 250 and if i could make a suggestion about your next thing to get would be a tm design works chain guide. the stock one can still look good to you and still be eating away at your chain even if its only a little tweaked,

but congrats on joining team yellow you'll love it! i love the seat covers on the 2012 so much i asked for the rockstar makita seat cover for my bike for x mas !!!!

congrats! i have the 2012 too. love it so far. all i have done so far is replace the grips with renthal soft half waffle,mx31 front tire, and i took my asv clutch lever off my yz and put it on there. tightened the steering stem nut and drained 10ccs of oil out of the the forks also. digging it!:bonk:

Congrats bro! You'll love her!

And you also have a new Triumph AND KTM? What do you do for a living?

I'm an engineer...an old one (38).

Thanks for the feedback. Going Sat to ride indoor. Can't wait !!

beauty! even stock these bikes look and feel fast. as has been found on these forums i would recommend the following:

-use a thicker oil 15w-50 to 20w-50, this has been reported to improve shifting and prolong transmission components (works well in mine so far and i havent had any issues)

-if you find the front forks to be harsh at times, drain 10-15cc of oil out the bleed hole (helped a lot on mine)

-set your sag to 105mm. This gives a good compromise between stability without sacrificing cornering.

-its been reported that the shifter lever is unchanged from 07-12 but the frame has moved the shifter closer to the peg, so unless you have smallish feet, than a longer shift lever will help reduce the chance of a missed shifts.

-as said above the chain guides wear quite quickly in the zooks, especially on the UNDER side of the "wrap-around" slider on the swing-arm. the guides can look fine but the chain can wear right into the swing-arm itself from underneath.

-keep your fuel clean as there is no way to change the fuel pump filter that i know of. although i think the Suzuki FI is the most reliable out there, it is still good practice to do this since the pumps on FI bikes have been known to fail due to dirty fuel.

finally i would recommend re-greasing the swing arm and steering stem bearings. there is very little put in at the factory, especially on the steering stem.

thats all that i can think of right know, if you stick to your regular maintenance, i think that this bike will be a pleasant surprise for you.

Mike

Well, got to ride at the indoor track last night.

[6ft, 165lb no gear, Vet intermediate]

First impressions...

-bike started easier as the night went on. 3-5 kicks down to 1.

-bike is extremely tight and stiff. Made if feel light, nimble. Almost like a rigid mountain bike.

-front brake feel at the lever is almost as good as my KTM 350 (Brembo). Brakes in general are good.

-bike is so quiet with the 94 db. Especially, indoors. It sounds great also. This is the best I have ever heard by far.

-ergos are amazing. Instant comfort. It took me 2 laps to do the triple right out of the corner. A jump I've never done before (I have not ridden in 6 wks). That's comfortable!!

-FI (standard connector) is good. No bogs, hiccups, flame outs. Was able to bog down low in 2nd very controllably.

-Motor: hard to tell now as it's new and indoor. But, I will say good low end - enough to do 2 triples out of corners with little clutch. More engine braking than my 350. Much less overrev than the 350.

-Suspension (stock settings) was good. Fork is very stiff. Especially, compared to my 350. The bike soaked up everything well (over jump, under jump, whoops). I need to ride out door in the chop to see if the fork is too stiff.

-Turning: the track was hard packed and slick. I was not railing corners but the bike felt very willing to turn. My 350 is a great turner also. But the extra lightness will probably show itself even more.

-front tire: why are they still using the 742AF? Not much feedback in the corners. The chassis makes up for it.

-Controls: all tight and butter smooth. Although I only used 2nd gear.

-Looks: I would and will not change a thing. The red seat was a great touch for 12. Clean up was not as nice as my 350. That Al frame looks like junk after 1 ride. Nothing that some WD40 and a scotch brite didn't solve. But it's just wash and go for the KTM.

-Overall: this bike seems setup for SX/indoor. Great low-end, light, easy to turn, stiff suspension.

That's it for now. I'll have more to say when the outdoor seanson hits.

Honda574, congrats! My wife and I picked up a pair (she wants to learn how to ride and has the attitude where she'll be on the track by the end of the season). I'm 39 and quite novice, but thanks for the write up. It's nice to know I dropped my hard earned money on the correct bike for both of us. :bonk:

hey i just got a 2012 also, wondering what oil you use and also what company did those numbers and what type, they are sick.

hey i just got a 2012 also, wondering what oil you use and also what company did those numbers and what type, they are sick.

Oil: only 2 hrs on the bike so have not changed yet. Probably go with Honda because I get a deal and have had good luck for yrs.

BGs: thanks. Got them from DirtDigits.com. Bold Series with the RM outer pin stripe.

Enjoy!!