Sign in to follow this  

New Kibblewhite Valves...

I'm about to replace my stock valves with Kibblewhites but on Motosport, it says that it is recommended to buy the Kibblewhite spring kit as well which is $200. I can't afford to buy the valves and the springs right now so would the new valves work ok with the stock springs?

Im 99% sure it will be fine. But get someone else's advice on here that knows. They usually just say that stuff to get you to buy their stuff.

try the prox steel valve kit its 130 and includes springs its cheaper and just as good as kibblewhite.

try the prox steel valve kit its 130 and includes springs its cheaper and just as good as kibblewhite.

I can't find the kit you are talking about. Does that include both intake and exhaust? A link would be cool too.

You musthave the correct springs due to the weight difference of Ti to Stainless.

You musthave the correct springs due to the weight difference of Ti to Stainless.

So basically I HAVE to buy the new springs if I'm gonna get stainless steel? If I buy Ti valves, would I be able to use the old stock springs?

Yes, if your valves are Ti now. If you go to stainless you must change your springs.

The extra mass of the Stainless Valves reguire higher seat pressure to avoid valve float at high RPMs. Dont run SS valves with OEM springs for that reason.

If you replace with Ti valves you can get away with it. If it were me I would the Ti valves anyway.

While we are talking about price and valve replacement you do know you will need to have the valve seats cut at a machine shop. You cant just slap new ones in there.

Guessing this is for your 05 crf250. I would do the prox kit for the intake. And oem for the exhaust. If you need to get the valve seats cut on the head mx time does it for less than most.

I find this the joke of Kibblewhite. They entice people with cheaper valves, then charge $200 for the necessary valve springs. I can get Yamaha valve springs for < $10 each :bonk:

Since you're not saving any money I would go with Ti OEM. Better performance, same $'s and stainless may last longer but the stiffer springs beat on the valve seats more.

I would replace springs as well as seals, maybe exhaust guides... You will need your seats cut as well.

I find this the joke of Kibblewhite. They entice people with cheaper valves, then charge $200 for the necessary valve springs. I can get Yamaha valve springs for < $10 each :bonk:

Since you're not saving any money I would go with Ti OEM. Better performance, same $'s and stainless may last longer but the stiffer springs beat on the valve seats more.

I would replace springs as well as seals, maybe exhaust guides... You will need your seats cut as well.

Granted, the kibbles are more expensive (considering that the honda oem valve springs are like thirteen dollars each). The thing with the honda valve seats is that the stiffer springs cause the heavier valves not to float. Another thing is that the stock valve seats on the hondas are harder than hell's gates and the kibble springs WON'T harm the valve seats at all. The problem with the hondas are that the seats are so hard that it causes the coating on the valves to wear out, thus it starts beating the titanium and zeroing the valves out.

i have 2 crf450's.. i put over 1000 hrs on my 04 (and still ride it when servicing the 08), and 200 on my 08 (just got it in april).

For my 04, i put I replaced valves multiple times first with TI, then hoping that SS would be the "magic pill" to end the madness. NEGATIVE. even having the seats cut, SS valves only lasted about 2x as long as TI intakes.

I ran the stock springs for 1 set of intakes, but im only woods riding. Rarely sees rev limiter. Do you HAVE to use the stronger springs? no, but i would at least buy new stockers. I DID get the spring kit the 2nd time around in hopes that the NEXT set of SS would last longer.. NOPE. Put enough hours on the bike they still wear. I even put an NEW 08 head, with the spring kit, and ss valves.. they still wore eventually. On my 08 (and the next time i do valves on the 04) im just gonna do TI valves.

Yes, the SS last longer, but not long enough to save $50 on 2 valves.

i have 2 crf450's.. i put over 1000 hrs on my 04 (and still ride it when servicing the 08), and 200 on my 08 (just got it in april).

For my 04, i put I replaced valves multiple times first with TI, then hoping that SS would be the "magic pill" to end the madness. NEGATIVE. even having the seats cut, SS valves only lasted about 2x as long as TI intakes.

I ran the stock springs for 1 set of intakes, but im only woods riding. Rarely sees rev limiter. Do you HAVE to use the stronger springs? no, but i would at least buy new stockers. I DID get the spring kit the 2nd time around in hopes that the NEXT set of SS would last longer.. NOPE. Put enough hours on the bike they still wear. I even put an NEW 08 head, with the spring kit, and ss valves.. they still wore eventually. On my 08 (and the next time i do valves on the 04) im just gonna do TI valves.

I wish I had read this before I bought the Kibblewhite stuff. :bonk:

most people do not experiece that, they get MUCH MUCH longer life with kimbles

check out crfinfo

Well no part lasts forever. And yes you need the spring kit also. Titanium weighs about 40% less than stainless steel. The reason you need the spring is to avoid valve float. If you use heavier valves the stock springs will be struggling to lift the extra weight of the valve. The valve needs to shut before the piston reaches it and in order to keep correct timing. Think of it like this. If you take a ten pound log and throw it, you can launch it much faster and much farther rather than if you were to throw a fifteen pound log. Technically you might beable to get away with stock springs. But it is certainly not right.

Did you notice any difference in the power or behavior of the engine with the ss valves, either with or without the spring kit?

I'm ready to do the same job on a low hour 05 crf250r. There is a intake conversion kit available from kibblewhite for less than $200. it includes everything needed for the swap (valves, retainers, springs, seats). No need to touch the exhaust valves if clearances check out.

I was just on that mxtime site and whoever that was who posted about them is right.. its CHEAP.. Cut 4 valve seats for 75 bucks plus shipping or they can do a full conversion to stainless steel for $425.. Thats rebuilt/recut/installed and ready to go. Im sure it would be even less if you decided to go with Ti instead of converting to stainless steel.

With prices like that its not even worth doing it yourself.. According to them they have done over 900 heads by now, so chances are they know what they are doing, but i have ZERO experience with them.

http://www.mxtime.com/Valve%20Seat%20Cutting.htm