Sign in to follow this  

Doing some clutch maintenance

my '07 is still running the original clutch components. Last year when i did the top-end and valve adjusment I check the clutches and everything seemed OK.

I am going to verify again this winter hoping the basket it still relatively notch-free. I could see some marking on the basket last year but couldnt really feel any notching.

The fibers were getting thin, but looked just fine, and no signs of burns or heating on the steels/plates. The clutch still grabs just fine, but seeing how old it is im assuming it needs some new fibers id rather replace them now before it ever starts slipping. Seem logical?

Seeing how great the OEM stuff has been, and from my own experience and talking with knowledgeable guys (owners/parts managers/pro racers) a lot of people really say OEM usually is the best. Now I just wana see what you guys think.. mainly about what all needs replaced??

The cable/basket are good. When I change out the fiber plates, is it necessary to do the unburnt steels too?? What about springs? I havent noticed any problem with springs but wondering if you guys run the old springs or put new ones in? The difference in the price of OEM clutch kit vs all the chinese heavy duty kits (TUSK, PRO-X, WISECO etc etc) are pretty significant as well, but im thinkin worth the money for OEM.

I always stick with OEM. I'd replace the entire pack (fiber and steel) as well as the springs. Heck, while you're at it, replace the cable too. Those stretch over time. They're cheap and it's worth replacing.

I have used the Tusk clutch on two CRF450s and it has held up great. I am not easy on the clutch either. Tusk is about a third of the price as OEM. I put a Pro-X inner hub in about a year or so ago and it's held up good also.

when i go my 08, the clutch was slipping something horrendous and i installed the tusk kit just to get me through the week. its still in there after 40+ hrs of tight single track and 4 harescramble races and is holding up great even with my recluse.

New cable. New fiber plates (thoroughly soaked in oil).

You should also file flat the notches on the basket fingers. Even if you dont think you feel them, once smooth again, I expect you find it feels better. Get a good smooth flat file, brush it clean as you go, and be careful.

Since your clutch lasted that long, chances are good that your steel plates are fine. Also your thrust bearing should be fine too.

New cable. New fiber plates (thoroughly soaked in oil).

You should also file flat the notches on the basket fingers. Even if you dont think you feel them, once smooth again, I expect you find it feels better. Get a good smooth flat file, brush it clean as you go, and be careful.

Since your clutch lasted that long, chances are good that your steel plates are fine. Also your thrust bearing should be fine too.

Thats pretty much what i wanted to hear.. and i think its the route im gonna take. My concern with the Tusk and other chinese stuff is all in the tolerances. My basket is still holding up and i duno if putting those cheap kits might affect it adversely.

Since everyone is saying throw a new cable in I might as well do that too, its cheap enough..

I know what to look for on the steel plates and they are fine, like i said no burn or heat marks.. About filing the basket. I considered filing it but i wasnt sure if it was the right thing to do or not. My concern would be that filing away some material would create looser tolerance and then incease the wear on the basket?

I'm no pro mechanic. My take is: Filing the fingers is like adjusting the valve clearances ... You do it to get more time before replacement. So you either file then replace. Or replace now. But you have to file it accurately. I put mine in a vice facing up then ensured file angle aligns with basket center. Single clean pushes with a sharp fine file. Then I sanded smooth using some 220 then 400 wet sandpaper and oil.

I have a zstart pro semi auto clutch and I like to manually control it thru slow tech turns to feed out the power. So I manually play it a lot. The beauty of this setup for me is light one finger feel at low revs but with absolutely no way for clutch slip and friction heat burn out at higher revs. At about 150 hrs it needed the fingers filed and that helped the lever feel. At about 220 I put in new fibers and basket. Engine done 310 hrs now. Not riding much since my crash in sept. :bonk:

Edited by numroe