Wetting Your Appetite - An Off-Road Worth Race Worth $5000.00

Hey Guys,

I've been really itching for a competitive, higher-stakes, off-road race so folks like me (unsponsored riders) can really have some fun. The only problem is there aren’t any races like that near me. I've heard this echoed from a few fellow riders so I figure it’s time to make something like this happen.

I won’t know the details until about February, but I wanted to let you guys know early.

Here is what we have so far:

$5000.00 Grand Prize

Race is planned for June/July

Two days of racing

Location will be about 80 miles west of Seattle

There is a Entry fee of $500 per team to cover operational and promotional cost

There is only room for 50 teams in the pits

And, seriously, Guys, let me know if I’m crazy.

---------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------

Found a large hay-field I can use instead of the campground. That saves a lot of money. The entry fee should be closer to $200.00.

Edited by Spare Parts
New info!

So you will charge 50 teams $500 each... and bring in $25,000. And you are paying out $5000 for the grand prize. Doesn’t sound like you are crazy, anyone who pays $500 to enter is crazy!

CoKTM

Yeah, bud. I was hoping to do way less, but i have to pay insurance, hire EMP's and an ambulance, rent a Campground, cover advertising, etc. And I'm gonna need to pay the track personel posted throughout the route, which is very, very long. Don't for get about their equipment like radios (about twenty), security to watch the pits at night and clean up. Riding with your buddy's in the woods is cheep; Organizing 50-100 riders isn't.

Hey Guys,

I've been really itching for a competitive, higher-stakes, off-road race so folks like me (unsponsored riders) can really have some fun. The only problem is there aren’t any races like that near me. I've heard this echoed from a few fellow riders so I figure it’s time to make something like this happen.

I won’t know the details until about February, but I wanted to let you guys know early.

Here is what we have so far:

$5000.00 Grand Prize

Race is planned for June/July

Two days of racing

Location will be about 80 miles west of Seattle

Teams of two will be allowed (one racer each day)

There is a Entry fee of $500 per team to cover operational and promotional cost

There is only room for 50 teams in the pits

And, seriously, Guys, let me know if I’m crazy.

:bonk:???:banana:?:busted:?:awww:?:lol:So if you're a team of 2 you pay $250 to race for 1 day. Seriously? Good luck.

MAX!!!

Alrighty, guys. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to lower the operational cost of the race. Maybe I'll try to move the pits from the campground to a piece of private property. I'll come back to this topic after I change a few things.

Thanks for your responses!

You can probably rent a lot of gear (radios, safety vests, tables, pop-ups, ect) from another regional event promoter. A different pit area could mean room for more riders. When you get to 200 the math works way better.
lower the entry fee by allowing more riders. simple. 100$ for each person.

Okay, I only know of one other promotor, but I'll give them a call. A friend of mine is an EMP, so he could cut the cost a little; I should talk to him. $100 is so much more doable. But man, need a lot more riders to cover the cost. I'm gonna do some more asking around the community here to see what I can do.

You guys are awesome!

I'd shoot for $200 per rider for the whole weekend. That makes it reasonable enough to attract a field and leaves enough for a serious purse. I'd pay $200 for a weekend of fun trail racing against 199 others if the payout was something like:

1st $5000

2nd $2500

3rd $1000

4th $500

5th $300

6th $200

7th $200

8th $200

9th $200

10th $200

Maybe also some $100 prizes for 1st in class.

This leaves $29k+ for expenses and profit.

• Like 1

I'd shoot for $200 per rider for the whole weekend. That makes it reasonable enough to attract a field and leaves enough for a serious purse. I'd pay $200 for a weekend of fun trail racing against 199 others if the payout was something like:

1st $5000

2nd $2500

3rd $1000

4th $500

5th $300

6th $200

7th $200

8th $200

9th $200

10th $200

I see. So payouts for more then just first place. Good idea.

1st $5000

2nd $2500

3rd $1000

4th $500

5th $300

6th $200

7th $200

8th $200

9th $200

10th $200

I see one major error with this, you used the word profit, if you want a race like this to go over well its about putting money in the riders pocket. At our club (ama sanctioned) we always pay out more than we take it. Its about helping the riders do more racing. If you think your going to make money doing this you should just give up now.

I see one major error with this, you used the word profit, if you want a race like this to go over well its about putting money in the riders pocket. At our club (ama sanctioned) we always pay out more than we take it. Its about helping the riders do more racing. If you think your going to make money doing this you should just give up now.

WERD :bonk:

The USA's first real extreme enduro.. Tennesse Knockout .. and amateur pre entry for both days was $45. $100 day of the event. It went over very well and is looking to be bigger next year.

The local harescramble series charges a $40 entry with a $5 gate fee that goes to the land owner who's property the race is being held on. It's a 7-8 race series every winter that has been thriving for years now. We even have a 3 stage, 100 mile race every year now that brings in a few semi pro riders (including Cole Kirkpatrick who rode in the Finland ISDE). Something like a $50 entry for that one.

Got a feeling an entry fee over $100 is going to turn most everyone away, no matter how great the venue.

The USA's first real extreme enduro.. Tennesse Knockout .. and amateur pre entry for both days was $45. $100 day of the event. It went over very well and is looking to be bigger next year.

The local harescramble series charges a $40 entry with a $5 gate fee that goes to the land owner who's property the race is being held on. It's a 7-8 race series every winter that has been thriving for years now. We even have a 3 stage, 100 mile race every year now that brings in a few semi pro riders (including Cole Kirkpatrick who rode in the Finland ISDE). Something like a $50 entry for that one.

Got a feeling an entry fee over $100 is going to turn most everyone away, no matter how great the venue.

Im with hillbilly and def do payouts for more than just first place

You should post this in the Northwest forum and see what kind of local response you get.

When you ask "How much room do you need to function as a pit?" it kind of makes me wonder if you've ever raced before, and if you would be in way over your head organizing something like this. Just saying.

Have you ever been to the Desert 100 in Eastern Washington?