Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR400R Skid Plate installation

bought a skid plate for my xr off rocky mountain, installation instructions say to remove any stock guard bars and such, however when I hold the plate up to the bike, it looks as though it will install without removing the stock guard bars. So my main question is, will removing the stock guard bars affect the integrity of the frame strength? As I said, holding it in place seems as though it will fit, however I'm not sure the mounting hardware will fit around the stock stuff ... any help would be appreciated ...

It depends on the plate brand. I have the Moose plate and it will go on over the stock guard. In fact, the forward clamp mount of the plate clamps to the center bar of the stock guard perfectly. If the stock guard wasn't there, there would be nothing for that forward clamp of the plate to clamp to.

It depends on the plate brand. I have the Moose plate and it will go on over the stock guard. In fact, the forward clamp mount of the plate clamps to the center bar of the stock guard perfectly. If the stock guard wasn't there, there would be nothing for that forward clamp of the plate to clamp to.

I have the Ricochet brand... I'll take that into consideration though ... I also think I'm gonna throw in on the drill press and bore some holes in it ... seems like it will be easier to get caked mud out that way ...opinions?

When mounting mine, I cut several pieces of thick heater hose and wrap them over the frame tubes in strategic places between the frame tube and plate. That isolates the frame from the plate for vibration damping and corrosion reasons. Also, having that space between the frame and plate allows dirt and mud to be washed out.

When mounting mine, I cut several pieces of thick heater hose and wrap them over the frame tubes in strategic places between the frame tube and plate. That isolates the frame from the plate for vibration damping and corrosion reasons. Also, having that space between the frame and plate allows dirt and mud to be washed out.

any chance you can post some pics?

any chance you can post some pics?

This gives you an idea. I used something like 1" i.d. heater hose, cut several 1" long lengths, slit them down the middle and just wrap them over the frame tubes where I can.

PegMount2.jpg