Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 axle size. I need help so I can go riding for New Years!

I would really like to go riding for New Years but I need some major help. Can any of you tell me if the rim and hub from a 1994 yz250 would fit on a 2003 yz250? would really appreciate it.

Sorry, axle is smaller on the 94, it's a 20mm, and the 03 is 22mm. You may be able to make it work, but it will require some different non standard spacers.

• Like 1

I believe jeffro is talking about the wheel spacers.

Your '03 has spacers (and bearings, wheel adjusters & swingarm) designed to be used with a 22mm diameter axle.

The '94 rear hub is designed to accept '94 wheel spacers, caliper carrier and 20mm dia axle.

You may be able to swap your '03 wheel bearings (with the 22mm inside diameter) into the '94 wheel, but that does not guarantee everything (wheel spacers, brake caliper, and sprockets) will fit and/or line up.

I would really like to go riding for New Years but I need some major help. Can any of you tell me if the rim and hub from a 1994 yz250 would fit on a 2003 yz250? would really appreciate it.

Ok well any yz 250 1999 and newer the rear wheel, rim, hub, spacers, wont fit because the bolt is bigger, but the front wheel is the same, in 1999 the rear changed,

any 1998 and lower should fit you bike, im almost 100% sure,like 1990-1998 not sure look that up,

I've been at the computer for hours trying to find any information on this but I can't seem to find anything. :bonk:

I've been at the computer for hours trying to find any information on this but I can't seem to find anything. :smirk:
All the information you need is right in this thread.

But I'll try again.

A 1994 YZ250 rear wheel will not work in your 2003 YZ250.

Why not? The axle sizes are different.

2003 has a 22mm axle. 1994 has a 20mm diameter axle. You cannot just bolt-on and go.

Now,

If the length of all the axle spacers -- including the bearing spacer inside the hub -- are the same between the 1994 parts and 2003 parts, and...

If the outside diameter of the wheel bearings are the same between the 1994 bearings and 2003 bearings, and...

If the thickness of the wheel bearings are the same between the 1994 bearings and 2003 bearings, and...

If the offset of the sprocket and disc mounting flanges are the same between the 1994 hub and 2003 hub...

...you may be able to put the 22mm I.D. bearings from your 2003 rear wheel into the 1994 hub, and everything will fit with the rest of your 2003 hardware.

Just curious, what is wrong with your 2003 rear wheel?

If the hours spent searching on the computer had been used to fix the wheel, you could have assembled a new one from scratch. :bonk:

All the information you need is right in this thread.

But I'll try again.

A 1994 YZ250 rear wheel will not work in your 2003 YZ250.

Why not? The axle sizes are different.

2003 has a 22mm axle. 1994 has a 20mm diameter axle. You cannot just bolt-on and go.

Now,

If the length of all the axle spacers -- including the bearing spacer inside the hub -- are the same between the 1994 parts and 2003 parts, and...

If the outside diameter of the wheel bearings are the same between the 1994 bearings and 2003 bearings, and...

If the thickness of the wheel bearings are the same between the 1994 bearings and 2003 bearings, and...

If the offset of the sprocket and disc mounting flanges are the same between the 1994 hub and 2003 hub...

...you may be able to put the 22mm I.D. bearings from your 2003 rear wheel into the 1994 hub, and everything will fit with the rest of your 2003 hardware.

Just curious, what is wrong with your 2003 rear wheel?

If the hours spent searching on the computer had been used to fix the wheel, you could have assembled a new one from scratch. :bonk:

Well I'm leaving on Wednesday to go ride and my rear rim has a huge crack almost all the way through it. Also it is missing a spoke. I would just go out and buy a new rim but all the shops are closed. Now I do have an 04 CRF250R in the garage but I doubt I can just change rims and go.

...my rear rim has a huge crack almost all the way through it.

I would just go out and buy a new rim but all the shops are closed...

Okay, I understand now.

Maybe write a "Help a buddy out - need a rear wheel" post in the California forum;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Any 125/250/250F/450 YZ or WR rear wheel from 1999 through 2008 (2012 for the 2-strokes) will be a direct, bolt-on fit for your '03.

(The 125s and 250Fs will have a narrower rim, but that's not a deal breaker.)

There HAS to be someone out there with a spare rear wheel.

Good luck!

Okay, I understand now.

Maybe write a "Help a buddy out - need a rear wheel" post in the California forum;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Any 125/250/250F/450 YZ or WR rear wheel from 1999 through 2008 (2012 for the 2-strokes) will be a direct, bolt-on fit for your '03.

(The 125s and 250Fs will have a narrower rim, but that's not a deal breaker.)

There HAS to be someone out there with a spare rear wheel.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Today I managed to find a YZ450 Rim with a paddle tire for $150. But thanks for your help! Nice to learn a little bit more about my bike, even the little things.

Cheers. :bonk:

• Like 1