Sign in to follow this  

MX 2 stroke and leaves/pine straw

Curious if a flywheel weight really shines in dealing with this stuff? I came around a corner out in the woods last week and ended up on my side at about 20 mph...ended up having to get 20 stitches and an immobilizer...I'm thinking about a 14 oz for my 01 CR250...

Yea man doesn't really sound like it has anything at all to do with flywheel weights...Sucks that happened though man. Did the bike just kick out on you? What happened? These 2 strokes do not grip like the 4t's..

I wouldn't think leaves and pine straw make a good combo for traction 2t or 4t ...tire just probably slid like on ice over the top of leaves etc ... next time just take it easy on those turns ... ride for conditions etc ... personally i wud take it easy if i came across a turn with leaves etc anyway ... just my 2 cents

I wouldn't think leaves and straw make a good combo for traction on 2t or 4t :banana:

no wonder you slid out ... leaves can be like ice sometimes and slide very easy ! I ride a kx 250 and personally i wud take it easy on a turn like that unless i was in a race !

Ride for conditions so you can ride the next day :bonk:

Sry u crashed ... we all have at some point ...thats how you learn :smirk:

Curious if a flywheel weight really shines in dealing with this stuff? I came around a corner out in the woods last week and ended up on my side at about 20 mph...ended up having to get 20 stitches and an immobilizer...I'm thinking about a 14 oz for my 01 CR250...

Did the front end wash out, maybe the rear end? Were you on the gas, or on the brakes? Were you coasting through?

I came around a small turn and was on the gas and the back tire just washed out on me completely...I slammed on the front brake to slow down for the crash as much as possible once I knew the bike was unrecoverable...it has a D756 on the bike with only a few rides on it...still looks like new...its just that every time the power comes on its sooo nonlinear that it breaks loose anywhere, but in the straw/leaves it goes beyond sideways...

anyone recommend some good knee pads that will prevent future sutures?

Yeah man my buddy got me the SIX SIX ONE Knee pads that actually have a bolt or whatever that pivots and I can't even tell they're there other when I hit hard and wonder why my knee isn't hurting! I would highly suggest these, they're around $60-75 but honestly Motosport has some other killer ones for a lot cheaper.

I honestly believe knee guards are just as important as the boots and helmet.

ya knee pads are good protection. When you feel like your loosing the rear end, usually weighting the outside peg and constant throttle (you might have to let off a little, but don't chop completely) is your best bet. I don't wear knee braces, but for knee pads i recommend what ever is cheap and covers your shin, knee cap and the sides of your knee well. I think i've got fly knee pads in my gear bag right now.

Yes just make sure they have the hinge or little bolt in there for free movement instead of just stretching and strapping them on...

I mean you injure your knee, twist or hit it the wrong way you are DONE...and not for the moment, for good...Knee guards, can't stress them enough. I HAVEN'T been wearing them but just got some. Why? My bike stuck to WFO throttle in the middle of a stand up wheelie before back flipping and ripping the rear fender. My knee really got messed up, but is healed up now. A lot of times the only way to learn is the hard way in dirt biking and life....I hope this gets through to some before they have to learn that way like I did.

I've fallen plenty of times in life and have never had more than scrapes and scratches...I never realized that I'd rip open the skin on my knee this bad from a fall...Nothing's broken and nothing's torn so once it heals and the swelling is gone I'll be riding again, but I'm definitely buying something to protect my entire knee/shin area above my tech 3's...and I'm definitely buying some elbow guards and going to begin wearing my chest protector...

Oh I forgot to mention my six six ones I mentioned have the entire shin coverage too that goes down into my boots so it goes straight from alpine star to shin guard all the way up and even a bit above the knee...FTW!

Oh I forgot to mention my six six ones I mentioned have the entire shin coverage too that goes down into my boots so it goes straight from alpine star to shin guard all the way up and even a bit above the knee...FTW!

I use 661s, they are good knee pads.

On a side note, I have enjoyed some of your opinions BlackCR25098, keep up the good work!:bonk:

I use 661s, they are good knee pads.

On a side note, I have enjoyed some of your opinions BlackCR25098, keep up the good work!:bonk:

Oh really opinions on what? Safety or 2 strokes? I pretty much babble on about only those 2 :smirk: but thank you very much!

I came around a small turn and was on the gas and the back tire just washed out on me completely...I slammed on the front brake to slow down for the crash as much as possible once I knew the bike was unrecoverable...it has a D756 on the bike with only a few rides on it...still looks like new...its just that every time the power comes on its sooo nonlinear that it breaks loose anywhere, but in the straw/leaves it goes beyond sideways...

anyone recommend some good knee pads that will prevent future sutures?

pine straw is nasty stuff, it packs up the tire and is worse than mud because it's unpredictable

we have a 00 but it's close to your 01, ours had way too much top end and not enough low/mid for smooth throttle offroad, we put in a g2 throttlecam, powervalve spacer, 96 cylinder and a fatty pipe, on a 01 I would also swap on a airstriker carb

Oh really opinions on what? Safety or 2 strokes? I pretty much babble on about only those 2 :bonk: but thank you very much!

Both! Something as simple as expaining about how the 661 knee pads extend into the top of the boot area is very helpful for someone who might just order them online.

As for your posts on other things, example "setting up a 99 CR 250 for the woods". You have some good advice for him.

Well thanks alot man, means alot. I am new back into the sport. Really VERY lucky to be back into it. Sold my bike 4 years ago, and bought it back a few months ago all by chance. If I couldn't have gotten this bike back, I likely wouldn't have gotten back into it. We've currently got it stripped down for new EVERYTHING mechanically and visually (except bottom end) piston will be in tmrw and this time tmrw night it shall be done! Lookout for my build thread soon man, my bike is the cleanest 97-99 I have ever seen! LoL Don't mean to brag, but it'd be impossible to have it any better than I've got it, but anyway, I just enjoy really helping people out from a newbie perspective I can really communicate/explain to lots of people, particularly about jetting and such.